Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Free Member

I am converting VHS to DVD using a DVD/VCR combo and also on my PC. Using the DVD/VCR I notice a slight wiggle numerous times during playback. It is hardly noticeable if you are not looking for it but bothersome if you know it's there. I am using a regular VCR to capture video using my PC and notice a occasional burst of brightness that lasts for 2/3 seconds at numerous times during capture. Can you tell me what is causing these issues? I have tried several different VCRs and chords with both methods and the problem continues. The tapes are in perfect condition and play well when not trying to capture. I am looking at a used JVC SR-V101 VCR that has TBC. Would that help me or do I need a stand alone TBC as well ($100 - $200 range). Or would it be enough to get the stand alone TBC and continue using my current VCR? Thanks for any help.

This question was asked via email. Site Staff no longer answer tech questions via email, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

I'll go ahead and pick this apart to answer...

Quote:
using a DVD/VCR combo
While many would think a comb VHS/DVD unit would easily transfer a VHS tape to a DVD, it almost never works that way. A combo unit is good at three things:
  1. Playing retail or homemade DVDs to the TV
  2. Playing retail SP mode VHS tapes to the TV
  3. Recording homemade DVDs from TV input (cable, antenna, satellite)
The VCR portion of a combo unit is generally very low grade, playing LP or SLP/EP mode tapes poorly, and being very inferior at recording.

The only exception to this rule is a few high-end professional combo decks, such as the JVC SR-MV45 US, that combines a high end JVC S-VHS VCR with TBC+DNR, and a really good JVC-manufactured DVD recorder. (Even then, you may need an external TBC, with loopback recording.)

Quote:
notice a slight wiggle
This is a timebase error, specifically horizontal jitter. You need a line or multi-line TBC to correct this -- these are commonly embedded in good S-VHS VCRs, like the SR-V101 you've mentioned.

There's a list on this site to help you with which S-VHS VCR models to get.

Quote:
occasional burst of brightness
This is copy protection detection by the DVD recorder. Remember that analog copy protection is an artificial video error. VHS tapes are full of errors include natural non-artificial errors. However, because the detections can be so strong in DVD recorders, capture cards and other recording/capture devices, the unit confuses a fake anti-copy error with the normal real error. So even homemade tapes can have "copy protection" warnings, where the tape refuses to transfer.

You'll notice most DVD recorders -- combo units especially -- do not explicitly say "copy VHS to DVD" anywhere on the box or in the documentation. This is why.

Store-bought retail releases often have Macrovision protection, so these are protected.

The only way to fix this is by using a full-frame external timebase correct. I highly suggest the AVT-8710 -- it is the cheapest unit around AND one of the best one. The best place to get it (lowest price) is from B&H for about $205 + shipping. Get it from this link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3167/KBID/4166

Quote:
I have tried several different VCRs and chords with both methods and the problem continues.
Nope, won't help.

Quote:
The tapes are in perfect condition and play well when not trying to capture.
The errors are only seen when you try to record.

Quote:
looking at a used JVC SR-V101 VCR that has TBC
As mentioned above, this would be a good upgrade.

Quote:
do I need a stand alone TBC as well ($100 - $200 range)
TBCs start in the $200 range and go well into the ten's of thousands -- you won't find a real TBC in the $100 range, aside from some really old crap on eBay, or devices that are not actually TBCs.

The $200 AVT-8710 mentioned above is a good one.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
04-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Free Member

Hi, I posted the original question in this post and since then I have purchased an AVT-8710 TBC from BHphoto and a JVC SR-V101US. I have both setup for capture on my HP Media Center PC using s-video chords (have also tried video chords). However, I am still receiving the occasional burst of brightness during capture. I tried capturing both with the JVC's TBC/DNR On and Off to see if there was a difference and did not notice any. I selected a few different tapes to try where I know the burts occur and it still comes through in capture.

Also, when I connect the AVT-8710 to the VCR the initial blue screen I normally see before playback is very jittery and the color is inconsistent, going from very bright to very dim. Once I hit play the video plays normally with the exception of the occasional burst of brightness I have always noticed. When I eliminate the AVT-8710 from the setup the initial screen is perfect. I've experimented with a few different VCRs and had the same result. I'm wondering if this is normal or an issue with the device or my setup. Thank you for any help in resolving these issues.
04-05-2010, 10:28 AM

Do you have the AVT-8710 set up for a specific video format? For example: NTSC [N,N4], PAL [P], etc.
Or do you have it set to auto?
Sometimes the device doesn't always pick the correct setting, or it will jump around midway through use, if set to auto mode. Manual selection of your video mode is the best solution.

Are these retail VHS tapes? Some copy protection schemes used on VHS tapes are so abusive to the signal, that the tapes don't play well under many different circumstances.

04-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Free Member

I have been trying to use it set on auto and so far it has always selected N for the video mode. When I tried to manually select the video mode it would only allow me to select between N and PN.

The VHS tapes are standard blank tapes from Wal-Mart with television shows/sporting events recorded off television on them.
04-08-2010, 09:08 AM

If the VCR is fine, and the tape is fine, that leaves the TBC and capture card. I'm not yet convinced that it's the TBC. I don't think we've yet established the brand/model of your capture card, nor the software you're using. I re-skimmed the whole thread, didn't see that info mentioned. Don't think we've established what version of Windows you're using, either -- is it XP, Vista, Win7 that you're on?

Let's look to either isolate or eliminate the capture card as the culprit. Four things to do here:
  1. Give me the model/brand of your capture card. If you're not sure, go into the Windows device manager, and look under the installed Sound and Video devices. If you need more help than this, let me know.
  2. Let me know what version of Windows you have.
  3. Let me know what capture software you're using.
  4. What happens when you play the tape, going with a workflow of
    • VCR >
      • TBC >
        • Television (not computer)
    • ... does it still have a brightening/darkening issue going on when it's just VCR+TBC+TV ?
We'll figure it out.

NOTE: This advice takes a lot of time, so consider upgrading to Premium Member status for the fastest, most-detailed help available. Thanks.

04-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Free Member

I am using Windows Vista, PowerDirector 7 to capture and the capture card is a ViXS PureTV-U 48B0 (NTSC/ATSC Combo)

I hooked up the VCR+TBC+TV and didn't notice a brightening/darkening issue. I then also included a DVD recorder to the setup and tried to dub a home video to DVD. However, in each attempt there were dropped frames at different points. On one copy the frame would be missing at one point and when recorded again that error was corrected but another frame later on would be dropped.