Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlschoemer View Post
Is their a comparison list on this forum of the many different PCI capture boards? It is time for me to buy something that supports HD and need some assistance. Budget allows up to $250, was looking at AverMedia HD DVR and BlackMagic Intensity or ? ? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Oddly there seems to be little info or reviews out there for the new crop of HD capture cards. Most reviews focus on connectivity to Xbox 360 or PS3 to record game play. Here is a quick rundown, just note this is based on my research, not first hand experience (aside from the AVer HD DVR PCIe).

AVermedia HD DVR PCIe
Pros: Supports uncompressed DirectShow capture. Good for VHS to DVD transfers. HDMI input. HDCP workaround exists. Cheap too.
Cons: Drivers and included application can be buggy on some systems. Need fast machine due to software encoding. No HDMI passthrough. A TBC is a must with analog capture from VCR sources, card is extremely sensitive to weak/unstable video sources.

AVermedia HD DVR USB
Pros: External, good for laptops. Built-in MPEG encoder. Component pass through
Cons: No HDMI input. No uncompressed capture or DirectShow support.

Hauppauge HD PVR USB
Pros: External, good for laptops. Built-in MPEG encoder. Component pass through. Digital audio input.
Cons: No HDMI input. No uncompressed capture or DirectShow support.

Black Magic Intensity PCIe
Pros: HDMI and analog pass through. Mac and Linux support. DirectShow capture support.
Cons: Poor customer support and buggy drivers.

Black Magic Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0
Pros: 1080p capture support. HDMI and analog pass through.
Cons: Impossible to get working correctly. Requires Core i7 machine with x58 chipset and specific USB 3.0 card. Buggy and broken drivers with poor customer support.

Coming Soon:

Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR PCIe
Hauppauge's answer to the AVer HD DVR PCIe and Intensity Pro. Supports HDMI in and digital audio I/O. Component pass through. Built in MPEG encoder. Chances are it won't support DirectShow capture though.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
You don't want a Hauppauge HD PVR USB. The WinTV software is awful.
I'd give up watching TV if I had to use that.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-17-2010, 12:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
You don't want a Hauppauge HD PVR USB. The WinTV software is awful.
I'd give up watching TV if I had to use that.
Kinda sad that all the capture card makers can't come up with a decent application to run their cards. Hauppauge will likely continue the same mistake with the PCIe card, which doesn't appear to have any SD inputs anyway.
12-17-2010, 12:35 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

The Elgato cards are pretty nice -- but Mac only.
I've heard good things, seen great results. If funds allow, may get one for myself next year, for the new Mac mini.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.