Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
continued from private message...
For my quickest response, always ask in posts at digitalFAQ.com, and I'll see the question. If you specifically want my input, simply write that into the body of the message, and I'll be sure to reply for you. Thanks!

Quote:
HI,

This topic seems quite old now - but unfortunately i have just had the problem occur (hardly used the unit in several years). So I read up and decided to replace the power board (from France - about $100oz). That went in ok just a few plugs ... BUT...

Now the unit only recognises CD's (and plays them fine) but will not recognise DVD's at all (says NO DISC when I insert a DVD and hit play) ...

If I had to guess (wildly) I would say I need to reload the firmware. Trouble is every link i try is broken (I guess because this topic is so old)...

Can you offer any advice? I woudl very much appreciate it.
Glad to help.

Unfortunately, however, all I have is bad news. When a DVD drive begins to fail at DVDs, but not CDs, then there is a high likelihood that the drive is going bad. And in the case of a JVC machine, you'll need to replace the drive. Some of this is covered in the master thread dedicated to JVC repair.

Read more here: Fixing JVC DVD recorder "LOADING" / JVC will not recognize blank DVDs

The first thing I would ask if whether you're only testing with burned DVDs, or if it's also failing at commercial DVDs. Not all DVDs are the same.

Just reply here, and I'll be glad to help you troubleshoot.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-02-2011, 06:50 AM
Free Member

ok that is bad news, funny i have only played teh unit about 5 times and recorded one DVD. OK where do I start?
04-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Refer back to the question from the first post:
Quote:
The first thing I would ask if whether you're only testing with burned DVDs, or if it's also failing at commercial DVDs. Not all DVDs are the same.
So....

1. Are you only testing with burned DVDs?
2. Or is it also failing at commercial / retail / store-bought "original" DVDs?

It may simply be an error of not using the best blanks. See the Blank DVD Media Quality Review
http://www.digitalFAQ.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
04-04-2011, 05:51 AM
Free Member

I keep replying to your question but they don't seem to be recorded - here we go again: I have tried
1. two brands of DVD-R
2. one DVD-RW
3. Three commercial movie DVD's

Thanks for your help....
04-07-2011, 01:58 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

1. Which two brands, specifically? And let's maybe even forget about brands -- who were the manufacturers? Read the Blank DVD Review for more.

2. Which DVD-RW ?

3. Which three commercials movies? How perfect are the discs? (Look for scratches, fingerprints, etc.) Are these DVD5 or DVD9. Not all preses are created equal.

The drive may be dead.

It can be replaced. Dismantle it, and see what's inside. My DR-M10 uses an Optiarc drive, if I recall correctly.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
04-09-2011, 12:05 AM
Free Member

The DVD-RW is TDK (single layer)
The DVD-R's are both cheapies (single layer) Strathfield Car Radio home brand and ALDI home brand (from somewhere deep in chin no doubt)
The DVD commercials big movies:
1. Scent of a Woman (Al Pacino) borrowed by someone cant check
2. Memoirs of a Geisha (Dual layer)
3. Cats (single layer)

Interestingly i just tested them again and noticed that the failure sequence is different:

DVD_R & DVD_RW:
"reading"
PR 1 __:__
(it sits there happily...until i press play)
"No Disc"

for the commercial DVD's:
"reading"
"disc error" straight away - no need to press play...

The case comes off easy - love that sheet metal and screws...

DRIVE = HL DataStorage (Hitachi & LG) ; MODEL = GDA-4040B

Thinking, could i plug this into one of my desktops to test it in another bed? Looks like it would plug in OK...

Thanks again..
04-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Thinking, could i plug this into one of my desktops to test it in another bed? Looks like it would plug in OK...
Yes, do that. See if it acts any differently in a computer.

Did you see this 2007 post, yet? --- http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/vide...-recorder.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_n_Jonna View Post
Guys, made a breakthrough today on replacing my broken DVD drive in my JVC DR-MH30S and wanted to pass this on in case anyone else out there has the same problem I did.

OK, so my DVD drive went out in my JVC DR-MH30S. The model number of my particular drive is GDA-4040b and is made by LG. Well, I couldn't find a GDA-4040b anywhere, so I had to buy a GSA-4040b. I tried installing the GSA-4040b directly into my DR-MH30S, but it noticed I was putting a different drive in and popped out the tray looking for the JVC upgrade disc, which I couldn't find anywhere. Here is what I did to make things work...

I was desparate not to pay the $200+ to get my unit fixed, so decided to take the controller board out of the GDA-4040b and install it into the GSA-4040b drive. The surgery went pretty easy (you can download the GSA-4040b manual on line which shows you how to take it apart). I installed the drive and the DR-MH30S recognized the drive as the old GDA-4040b. I works like a champ now!

My next trick is to break the code on replacing the hard drive, which will most certainly go out eventually.

I'm sure this process will work with any DVD Recorder as long as the drives are compatible like the GDA and GSA are.

More to come!
And there's ONE refurb drive available at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.ht...reative=390957
It's only $20 + 7 shipping. A bargain.

Something to consider.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-15-2011, 09:29 PM
Free Member

I tried to buy the drive.... but they wont ship to OZ or internationally.....could not resist $20 !!!
04-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Well, you could do this.
Buy it, ship it to me. Send me enough funds, and I'll ship it to you.
The ONLY catch is that, if there's a problem, you have no recourse.
No refunds.

But honestly -- it's worth it. Looking at maybe $20 + shipping here + shipping to you?
What is that? $50 total?

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.