Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-11-2011, 01:58 AM
Free Member

Hey Guys,

I've spent most of my weekend trying to install an ATI AIW 2006 PCI-E Card but have failed.

Can you please help steer me down the right path?

(I need to restart from scratch.)

Firstly, I've had to chase down accessories seperately as I didn't receive them with the card I purchased.

Going by this link:

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/ATI-A...r-2006/?page=2

I have the I/O Hub (Photo 4 - Package Contents) & the Domino Input Block (Photo 3 - Package Contents).

Do I need to purchase the Output Block as well (Photo 2 - Package Contents) to be able to do VHS capturing?

Currently there is no sound output on my capture machine at all (inc Windows). Would this be an internal wiring issue?

Whilst on the topic of sound, how is it captured? Is it via composite cable into the input block?

I installed MMC V9.16 to see if I could achieve any Video capturing via S-Video (VCR to input block). I received the error message "The TV Tuner failed to initialise!"

I think MMC 9.12 is the version that orginally shipped with this card (didn't come with the original CD so I'm going off internet research). I will delete my current drivers & do a clean re-install.

I apologise for my numerous questions. I am simply becoming more confused than when I started & am not close to getting the card working.

Your wisdom & guidance will be appreciated greatly by me.

Thanks again.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-16-2011, 05:52 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Hi Steve, sorry for the slowish response. As you may have noticed, there's been a good bit of site maintenance this week! The forum is getting some new features and some things have been streamlined. Anyhow...

Quote:
Can you please help steer me down the right path?
Yep.

Quote:
Do I need to purchase the Output Block as well (Photo 2 - Package Contents) to be able to do VHS capturing?
Aside from the card itself (obviously), you require
  1. the output/input block (bundled wires),
  2. as well as the input dongle -- and you can use wither the older ATI AIW Radeon purple wire, or the domino. These are interchangeable.
To avoid any confusion, this is #1:

ati-output-bundle.jpg

No need to illustrate #2, since we both know what that is.

Quote:
Currently there is no sound output on my capture machine at all (inc Windows). Would this be an internal wiring issue?
There's two ways to wire the ATI All In Wonder Radeon cards for audio capturing.
Both of the are covered here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ti-wonder.html (includes photos)

Quote:
Whilst on the topic of sound, how is it captured? Is it via composite cable into the input block?
Yes, sort of. (Right idea, wrong jargon.) "Composite" is the video only, and is generally a yellow cable. The red/white cables are "RCA" audio.

Quote:
I installed MMC V9.16 to see if I could achieve any Video capturing via S-Video (VCR to input block). I received the error message "The TV Tuner failed to initialise!"
Try to use the version that most closely matches the era of your card -- but without using any version less than ATI MMC 8.7. That's the general rule. The "latest and greatest" version of ATI MMC is not all that great. Use it only if forced.

Quote:
I think MMC 9.12 is the version that orginally shipped with this card (didn't come with the original CD so I'm going off internet research). I will delete my current drivers & do a clean re-install.
I believe we have that version of ATI MMC in our archives. See this thread: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...der-hacks.html

Quote:
I apologise for my numerous questions. I am simply becoming more confused than when I started & am not close to getting the card working.
Your wisdom & guidance will be appreciated greatly by me.
Thanks again.
Hey, no problems. It's why the site is here.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!