Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
02-07-2012, 12:46 AM
cc4npg cc4npg is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 23
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boy, I sure hope I've located the right "lordsmurf". I would hope you're just about the only person who uses this nickname (perhaps trademarking it wouldn't be a bad idea?). I'm only half kidding. Your reputation precedes you.

So I've asked how to transfer from VHS to DVD on a thread on digitalfaq.com under the nickname "cc4npg", but not sure if you'll see it. Please forgive me for obviously trying to track you down. I'm unfortunately feeling pressure to get this done asap for my kids. <snipped> They want to watch these video's, but I won't allow the VHS tapes to be played over and over.

I have like 20 VHS tapes dating from 1989.. home videos. I dubbed them to DVD using a Panasonic DMR years ago (RAM.. not supported by most players). My video's are actually not in horrible shape I don't think. A couple have the fuzz at the bottom of them (sorry, chemo brain can't remember what that fuzz is called). The DVD-RAM copies definitely are not as clear as the VHS... lost some quality in transfer. I've not viewed the VHS much and have kept them in a temp/humidity controlled environment. I wish it were a simple matter of just copying using a Panasonic, but alas, my research has proven otherwise because I want them as crisp and clean as possible.

Please explain to me as detailed as possible what I need to buy, and if possible how to do it. I have this list I found on digitalfaq (see below) of items to consider buying. Is this still the preferred list? So, if I get each of these items, how would I hook them all up? Would it be going into my computer to burn to dvd? I see some of these items on eBay and am thinking about bidding but I don't know the first thing about what questions, if any, to ask before bidding. I know there are manuals for most things on digitalfaq.

If you can please guide me, I'd be very appreciative. As soon as I get a way to do so, I'll be donating to the digitalfaq site.

Quote:
Equipment to consider:

(1) Proc amp: Adjusts color, contrast, IRE, tints, brighness, gamma.
Example: Elite Video BVP-4 Plus, SignVideo PA-100, Vidicraft Proc Amp
Price: $50 used to $700 new

(2) Detailer: Increases the detail and clarity of an image. Makes VHS tapes (all tapes are blurry to a degree) look as good as satellite digital quality.
Example: SignVideo DR-1000, Vidicraft Detailer II, III, IV
Price: $50 used to $300 new

(3) Standalone timebase corrector (TBC): Stabilize the signal, remove any true or false anti-copy
Example: DataVideo TBC-1000, AVT-8710
Price: $200-300 new

(4) JVC S-VHS VCR (with DNR/TBC): These units have several filters, including a DNR-based TBC, and is intended to clean up a VHS tape, or S-VHS tape, creating a very clean image.
Example: JVC HR-S7800, 7900, 7600, 9600, 9800, 9900, 7965EK, 8965EK, SR-V10U
Price: $150 used to $500 new

(5) Sync filters: These will correct flagging and intra-image errors, where part of the image jerks to-and-fro, or wiggles when it should not.
Example: Built into the Panasonic ES10 DVD recorder (NOT used for recording, just filters!), pass signal through this recorder, and on to a better recorder.
Price: $175-200 new

Use s-video cables whenever possible. Especially when you start to use proc amps and detailers and S-VHS equipment. Try to use composite as little as possible.
from http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ant-clean.html

Thank you so much...
Angela


This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Ads / Sponsors
 
Join Date: ∞
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
02-07-2012, 12:57 AM
lordsmurf's Avatar
lordsmurf lordsmurf is offline
Site Staff | Video
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 13,363
Thanked 2,434 Times in 2,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc4npg View Post
Boy, I sure hope I've located the right "lordsmurf".
I've had that email account since the 1990s, though I don't use it as much anymore, due to spam. I check it maybe once per month, just because I've had it so long, and I never know when somebody will contact me -- like you just did. I'm amused, really I am. It's been a while since there was a valid email in my inbox there.

Quote:
I would hope you're just about the only person who uses this nickname (perhaps trademarking it wouldn't be a bad idea?). I'm only half kidding. Your reputation precedes you.
Thanks. -- Though I'm sure Peyo would take issue with the trademark!

Quote:
So I've asked how to transfer from VHS to DVD on a thread on digitalfaq.com under the nickname "cc4npg", but not sure if you'll see it. Please forgive me for obviously trying to track you down. I'm unfortunately feeling pressure to get this done asap for my kids. <snipped> They want to watch these video's, but I won't allow the VHS tapes to be played over and over.
Understood.

Quote:
I have like 20 VHS tapes dating from 1989.. home videos. I dubbed them to DVD using a Panasonic DMR years ago (RAM.. not supported by most players).
The DVD-RAM copies definitely are not as clear as the VHS... lost some quality in transfer.
Yes, the Panasonic DVD recorders tend to make video worse -- not better -- when used for converting tapes.

Quote:
A couple have the fuzz at the bottom of them (sorry, chemo brain can't remember what that fuzz is called).
If it's not tracking noise, then it's just VHS head switching noise, which is usually hidden in the overscan. You can only see this on a non-overscan viewing device, such as a computer.

Quote:
My video's are actually not in horrible shape I don't think.
I've not viewed the VHS much and have kept them in a temp/humidity controlled environment. I wish it were a simple matter of just copying using a Panasonic, but alas, my research has proven otherwise because I want them as crisp and clean as possible.
Temperature and humidity only affect the lifespan of the tape, and don't have as much effect on the quality of the signal or recording. And when it comes to transferring the videos, that really matters most.

Quote:
Please explain to me as detailed as possible what I need to buy, and if possible how to do it. I have this list I found on digitalfaq (see below) of items to consider buying. Is this still the preferred list? So, if I get each of these items, how would I hook them all up? Would it be going into my computer to burn to dvd? I see some of these items on eBay and am thinking about bidding but I don't know the first thing about what questions, if any, to ask before bidding. I know there are manuals for most things on digitalfaq.
I know we've already discussed quite a bit of this in your past posts. -- See those here. -- If you're still needing help on this, let me know, and we can go over whatever still has not yet been answered to date. Generally speaking, the list of hardware suggested in that post from 2005 is still one of the best methods, even in 2012. Very little has changed in the world of video conversion, in the past 6-7 years.

Thanks.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transferring old home videos: The Sequel NJRoadfan Capture, Record, Transfer 4 06-07-2011 09:59 AM
Transferring old home videos, looking for some expert guidance NJRoadfan Capture, Record, Transfer 37 02-12-2011 04:44 PM
Proper equipment for converting and restoring video? privategomer Project Planning, Workflows 24 03-16-2010 11:30 AM
Transferring .VOB files to something else Superstar Encode, Convert for discs 5 02-27-2010 02:32 PM
Which DVD recorders for transferring mini-dv to DVD via 1394 input? SailsOnBlue Capture, Record, Transfer 21 07-01-2009 10:39 PM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM