Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

So for my project I used FR 155. I did well in your opinion? You would have done the same thing? Since the vhs are F1 (very movement of the car), I thought you gain maximum bitrate

You would have used, FR 160, FR 165? Formula one Grand Prix last 1h.35 minutes 2 hours
I hope for a response

I do not want to redo my DVD with an 'other setting FR, I hope I have chosen the best setting

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post14218
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
I did well in your opinion?
You would have done the same thing?
Since the vhs are F1 (very movement of the car), I thought you gain maximum bitrate
Yep, yep and yep.

Slightly more detailed answer...

That whole FR155 to FR180 range is fine -- it's all 352x480 with ample bitrate. The less minutes, the slightly better it will get. But not less than FR155, because it jumps to 720x480 at FR150, and that would look bad. To record 720x480, you'd have to use XP mode. But even then, the FR155 may look better, especially from VHS.

The movement of the cars isn't as much of an issue as the crowds, or rapid whole-scene camera movements.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Giana (09-13-2012)
09-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Thanks LS I'm happy! It 'easy to make mistakes and get a dvd disgusting. I Made the right choice. I redid my project (80 vhs) because at first I used the proc-amp sony xv-C900, but were obtained by pasteurization of red. The VHS is 95 to 2004, and perhaps the proc-amp was not necessary to use it in this case. I removed the proc-amp from my chain and I redid the DVD project. I'm a little 'crazy but vhs "rare" and I wanted to get the maximum. Now I am happy with the result. thanks LS
The following users thank Giana for this useful post: lordsmurf (09-13-2012)
09-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giana View Post
So for my project I used FR 155. I did well in your opinion? You would have done the same thing? Since the vhs are F1 (very movement of the car), I thought you gain maximum bitrate

You would have used, FR 160, FR 165? Formula one Grand Prix last 1h.35 minutes 2 hours
I hope for a response

I do not want to redo my DVD with an 'other setting FR, I hope I have chosen the best setting

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post14218
Yeah, these recorders (JVC DR-M100 and the like) do such a good job for that kind of footage of that length -- I honestly haven't seen another recorder that does as well with fast-rate motion. The old Light-On recorders were perhaps the only ones that came close when fully functional, with the strong noise filters doing a good job with most medium speed motion, but they fell apart when the motion got fast enough and you'd get a lot of macroblocking in small, bright areas with a lot of detail (faces, emblems and logos, etc). I don't recall if those recorders had a Half D1 setting or not.

One other thing you can try in the future for comparison if you are not computer aversive would be to try dubbing the races in two parts using the DVD recorder in a higher FR mode, then joining them together on the computer and burning them on a dual layer disc.

I did that quite a bit with longer, higher quality recordings on my JVC recorder. For the JVC DR-M100, a program with an hour and a half running time can be dubbed in the XP/FR-60 mode. For two hours (if it's almost exactly two hours or a little less) you could use XP/FR-60. If the length is between about two hours and two hours and eight minutes, you could use FR-65. Works like a charm.