Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

I have seen this subject mentioned,and have posted questions before here. I purchased and installed a AIW 9600XT from a seller on Amazon, found a used Gateway 510S (with XP) at a computer shop,and had my computer guy set it all up,..But the capture image (VHS-using a new in box Mitsubishi HD 10000U) was plagued with RF interference,especially when my other computer was on.(I have since separated them 8 feet apart). After applying snap-on type Ferrite cylinders to both ends of All wires going to XP machine,the "visibly noticeable" interference seemed to be gone,but I still not 100% sure, I was thinking about buying another one,and is there a test to check card for bad shielding?,and maybe the seller did or didn't know about this?..I got a pretty good deal on it,Can't remember $ paid,but it came with all needed cables and software.BTW,all the time spent trouble shooting, and doubting the card's performance,has really stopped me from capturing for a long time now
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-05-2014, 02:25 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
These errors can be hard to troubleshoot. I've had them on VCRs, TBCs, proc amps, TVs, HDTVs, capture cards and more. It could be almost anything causing it.

- incoming power lines to home/office
- lack of UPS with AVR for power conditioning
- poor shielding in internal components in a computer
- other items in home/office, or even neighboring homes/offices, causing feedback into power lines
- the device itself having some flaw in internal shielding
- a defective item

You have to just do process of elimination
- trying it elsewhere (another home/office)
- trying another card
- trying same card in another computer
- trying another brand/model of UPS with AVR (if one is in use .. and it should be!)
- etc

It is a nuisance, yes. I can't even tell you how much time I've wasted in the past 20 years because of this. It's really one of the personal hells of videographers. Just keep eliminating the possibilities, and it will reveal itself.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: rocko (01-06-2014)