Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-03-2014, 01:08 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleng1usa View Post
If anyone knows how to get the GuidePlus+ to update the patch and download the listings
The guide was for analog TV. It doesn't work anymore.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: alleng1usa (02-03-2014)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for letting me know. I still have to re-ghost the partial clean install I ghosted and re-install the drivers.

Would you please PM me as I would like to inquire about your forum and it is of a personal nature regarding membership.

Thank you.
02-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Premium Member

Well I nuked the drive, re-ghosted the partial clean install and booted up in safe mode. Once in safe mode XP went and installed the Microsoft drivers for my AIW card and the sound, video and game controllers on the chip set. So I went into Device Manager and uninstalled them.

On the reboot XP went again and installed just the display drivers. I again removed them and ran the ISO I downloaded from here. Again it went through the install process and it seemed that everything went smoothly. I shut down and rebooted into the operating system only to find that the display drivers installed were the ones provided by Microsoft Corporation and not the ones from the ISO.

Under sound, video and game controllers it did install the same drivers that Microsoft provided instead of the drivers on the ISO. It also did not install the control panel for the display drivers so I was right back where I started.

I again uninstalled the display drivers and tried to install from the ISO CD folder Install. I managed to get the display driver installed than installed the control panel from the same install folder. On reboot I found that the control panel did install, however the driver was still not the correct driver.

So I again removed the driver only and attempted to install the driver again this time using the Add\Remove Hardware utility under Control Panel in XP. This time after several attempts I got another driver to install and it was also the wrong driver. After trying again the third time I did get a driver to install but I knew it was not the correct one.

I ran the GPU-Z program and confirmed the driver was wrong when it showed the Code Name RV360 when the correct driver should show RV350 instead. So I ended up nuking the drive again, repartitioning it and re-ghosting it. I have not tried again yet to install the AIW drivers or programs on the ISO cd since I am beginning to be frustrated.

I have never had this kind of problems before with my other ATI AIW cards and now I am lost. I have a AIW 128 Pro 32MB, a AIW 9000 Pro and a AIW 9700 Pro that I have installed numerous times without this occurring. I also have some AIW 7500's that I have also used with no installation issues.

Not sure why I am having these issues but some of the errors I have seen are Direct X not installed, it is and it's 9.0c. No VGA drive found and a few others as well.

I noticed that volksjager just sold a MB with an AIW 7500 and was wondering if I am doing something wrong. My MB like the one he sold, though not an Intel MB has no on-board video and wonder if this is one of the reasons I'm having so much trouble getting the proper drivers to install.

Can anyone tell me what the driver version is for the AIW 9600 Pro that they are running. I know that both the 9600 Series and Pro Series should have a Code Name RV350 whereas the 9600 XT's Code Name is RV360. That is the same ID I get when I run the GPU-Z identification tool.

Since I screwed up the first time which I did get the proper drivers to install since it did end up showing the RV350 like it should I could not get the proper driver this time around.

Any suggestions that could shed some light on what I did wrong or what I need to do to properly get these drivers to install the correct ones are welcome.

Thanks again. I'll check back later today or this evening. Have a great day.
02-07-2014, 07:00 PM
Free Member

i love AMD cpus, but IMO intel P4's work better with AIW's
the intel chipset is best - the one to avoid is VIA - im not sure about SIS
i really like the intel board model im using now (same as one i sold)
it is a Intel D875PBZ - look for one without onboard audio
all revisions support Northwoods and the later revisions support Prescotts
i have a few of them - i might sell another
The following users thank volksjager for this useful post: alleng1usa (02-08-2014)
02-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the info regarding the Intel MB chip set. I still can not get the AIW drivers to install properly. I have now erased and re ghosted the drive at least 5 times and it still will not install like it should.

What am I doing wrong?

I have never had this sort of problem before and I am getting highly frustrated. Did you have any issues using the ATI install cd? Maybe I need lordsmurf's help since nothing I have tried seems to work right.

First boot after ghosting XP loads and installs the Microsoft Corporation provided drivers. Even if I remove the drivers from the Sound, Video and Game Controllers these are the same drivers that install when I run the AIW ISO I downloaded from here. The display drivers as usual when uninstalling them tell you to reboot to complete the the removal of them. Yet when I reboot XP re-installs them.

If I remove them and do not reboot running the cd appears to install, however upon rebooting the Microsoft drivers are re installed as are the Sound, Video and Game Controller drivers. BUT the display panel does not install and doing a update driver and pointing to the cd leaves me clueless as to which driver is the correct one to install.

The cd shows that there are 8 AIW 9600 Series Drivers and 4 AIW 9600 Series Secondary Drivers. Which are the correct ones to use? Which driver number #1 through #8 for the Primary Driver and which driver number #1 through #4 is the correct Secondary Driver?

Also like I previously stated somewhere above in a previous response I did at one time get the chip set drivers for the Sound, Video and Game Controllers to install what looked like the correct ones. After the installation instead of the 6 drivers installed it actually only installed 3 drivers, one being a unified driver which did work with the Audigy 2 sound card. Now it only seems like the same Microsoft drivers are being installed that XP installed and not the ones from the cd.

Hopefully you or lordsmurf or someone else can help me finally get this ******* working.

Thanks again.
02-09-2014, 06:59 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
ATI AIW cards need the graphics driver installed first for some reason. It honestly doesn't matter if it comes from a CD installer, a Windows XP CD, or Windows update.

It's the other drivers that need to come from the CD -- mostly because the older ATI AIW capture drivers are better than the latter Catalyst drivers. The "6168" drivers works best for 7200, 7500, 8500, and some of the 9000 cards. I forget where the cutoff is. Starting with a certain card, the 6168 drivers no longer work, and you're forced to use newer ones.

As much as I remember about ATI AIW installations, I've forgotten quite a bit too. I've been installing these, and helping others install theirs, since 2001. That's 13 years! And there's been many drivers and many cards in that time. But that general install procedure is always the same. Only the details tend to change based on the hardware.

It is true that Intel CPUs work best. Same for non-VIA motherboards. Most of the single-core AMD systems were pretty terrible. Although from 2006-2012, my primary capture rig was based on a non-VIA (nVidia?) AMD system. It died, and has been replaced with a dual-core Intel AGP board. The older AMD system also could not capture 15mbps without frame drops, which is unacceptable since I now capture so much MPEG Blu-ray spec video.

Instead of an ISO, consider trying to install the 6168 driver package.: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...der-hacks.html

I'm also moving this thread to the capture forum. /moved

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: alleng1usa (02-09-2014)
02-09-2014, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

Thanks lordsmurf, I'll give those a try.

The ISO showed the first drivers loaded were the WDM drivers and they are from what I saw I believe 6414 which was the first driver that installed on the third try after removing the Microsoft driver version 6462. And on that install was were the unified driver was installed leaving 3 drivers in the Sound, Video and Game Controllers instead of the usual 6 drivers that are now being constantly installed.

The other difference I noticed was that no matter how many times I tried to install running the Install portion of the ISO was that it never put a ATI folder on the C:/ Drive with a Support folder inside of it like it usually does. So don't know if that is any help to figure out why this is happening.

I just wish for sure I knew exactly what version of the 9600 I have. I think that there were 2 9600's PCI & AGP, 2 9600 Pro's PCI & AGP, 2 9600 XT's PCI & AGP and 2 9600 PCI Express (not sure if these were XT's or not).

I'll attempt to install the ones you referred too above sometime this afternoon and post the results later. Thanks again.
02-14-2014, 05:19 PM
Premium Member

Well I'm right back where I started. I looked at the 6168 drivers that lordsmurf suggested after downloading them and they do not support the 9600 AIW so I retried to install the ISO files I previously had downloaded from here without much luck.

The last attempt put the AIW as the Secondary Display even though I do not have a second monitor connected to it. So I uninstalled it again, ran ccleaner this time instead of Revo Uninstaller. The next thing I did was remove my SB Audigy 2 sound card and just shutting down the computer for the time being.

I looked to see if I had another drive laying around to use since I wanted to do a clean install of Win2k Pro and see if I would have the same problems as I was having with WinXP Pro with SP 3 on it. I found one drive, 20gb's and hooked it up to the pc. I than ran WD Diag's after doing a full erase followed by a full scan of the drive to verify no problems with it. It failed so I can not use it for a test install.

Tomorrow I will stop by a local pc repair shop and see if the owner has any used but good 20 or 40 gig drives available. I've bought a few drives in the past for reasonable prices, a 160gig Seagate and a WD drive, forget the size of it right now, and try again this weekend.

On a side note I did take the time to go through the two downloaded driver files I got here as well as two of the cd's I have for my AIW 9700 Pro and the cd that came with my 9600 AIW. On the cd that came with the 9600 was a read me file I found very interesting. It had to do with compatibility of the 9600 AIW and Windows XP. versions. See below.

Operating systems supported
The latest version of the Catalyst® software suite is designed to support the following Microsoft Windows platforms:
· Windows XP Professional
· Windows XP Home Edition
· Windows XP Media Center Edition (graphics driver support only)

The driver version shows under properties to be 6.221.0.0 and in the description box under version shows file version 8.221-060124a1-030152C. The cd that came with it is for both PC and Mac and the version listed on the cd is v052008.

Below is from the ISO which was the one I originally downloaded and has the following information on it.

The CATALYST™ software suite is designed to support the following ATI desktop
product families:
• RADEON™ 9800 XT Series
• RADEON™ 9600 XT Series
• RADEON™ 9600 SE Series
Operating systems supported
The latest version of the CATALYST™ software suite is designed to support the
following Microsoft Windows platforms:
• Windows XP
• Windows 2000
• Windows Millennium Edition (ME)

So can anyone tell me the difference between the 9600 AIW I have which is shown as a 128MB ATI All-IN WONDER RADEON 9600 and the RADEON 9600 SE Series? Since it seems that there is some sort of issue with the drivers and mmc software running under Windows XP. I'm thinking that the unified driver is the cause of this issue as it does not install the WMD Drivers that are shown under the install window. That driver even though checked is greyed out and does not install since it sees the Microsoft Drivers for the display which installs the 6 drivers I listed some time back. The one time I actually got the unified driver to install I messed up the OS trying to get Gemstar to work and had to start all over, which is where I am once again clearly at.

I suspect that maybe if I try to install the ISO files again it may install without my Audigy 2 card installed which I believe is what happened the only time I did get what appeared to be a proper installation. I do want to see if I can get a proper install under Win2k Pro before trying again with my XP installation.

Will let you know what happens when I pick up a couple of smaller drives so I can get a clean XP Pro and Win2k Pro install so I have them when I can no longer get any updates for those OS's.

Have a good weekend and I'll check back to see if anyone has any ideas or solutions I can give a try.

Thanks!
02-15-2014, 01:22 PM
Site Staff | Video

Read the chips on the board. You're sure this is a 9600 card? (It has a Threatre200 chipset.) I want to verify it's not simply a 128 Pro, or even a non-pro 128 (therefore not even a Radeon, meaning not Threatre Rage/200 chips). Because card installs should not be this hard. Annoying, yes. Over-complicated, yes. Impossible, no.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: alleng1usa (02-15-2014)
02-15-2014, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

Thanks lordsmurf...

I put the sticker information from the card in my 1st. post along with some other information as well. I also mentioned other items about it in previous replies too. So to be sure I just pulled the card and took two photo's of it which I'll attach for you to see.

I looked at hundreds of 9600's online and it looks like the XT, however the card does not have XT on it nor does it have the 525MHz gpu whereas the gpu on my card is 400MHz. I did find one 9600 like mine and it was a Pro. Also it has the FM/TVTuner combo as the XT.

The little pc shop where I was going to see if he had any 20g or 40g ide drives for a good cheap price was no longer there. I found out from the store next door that he closed around a month ago. He had another store on the other side of town so I have too look his number up as I misplaced his card.

Here's the pic's of my card:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATI_AIW_9600_128-1.jpg (93.9 KB, 17 downloads)
File Type: jpg ATI_AIW_9600_128-2.jpg (92.0 KB, 15 downloads)
02-20-2014, 11:55 AM
Premium Member

lordsmurf...

So have you been able to determine which AIW 9600 card I have from the photo's I posted above?

The sticker that says Made In China now has me worried that I have a Chinese knockoff instead of a true ATI AIW 9600 AGP card. I did do some more viewing of ATI AIW cards using google images to view several hundred 9600 cards and only really saw two like my card.

One was a 9600 Pro while the other one showed the same stickers as mine shows including the Made In China sticker. Also reading some of the reviews I had read that at the time the 9600XT came out that the new Remote Wonder 2 would not be included at that time and would be released at a later date.

As I stated previously my card came in a small white box and only included the card, video out dongle, av\video in adapter and the installation cd for pc and mac. The reason I thought it might be the 9600 Pro was because that was the only AIW 9600 I found that was the same as my card without the XT on the sticker which actually says XT on the AIW 9600XT card sticker while mine does not state XT anywhere on the card.

So do you have any other information that can tell me which card I have? Thanks lordsmurf for all your help.
02-20-2014, 09:57 PM
Premium Member

The card pictured is an AIW 9600XT.

Archived NewEgg product page: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102352
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: alleng1usa (02-20-2014)
02-20-2014, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

Agree completely, but there is a difference.

Setting aside the fact the sticker on my card does not say XT anywhere on it the core clock is 400MHz-650MHz.

The core clock from what I have understood from reviews and other information I have read states the core clock on the XT is 525MHz-650MHz.

I did find a Pro image for a 9600 that also looks just like mine as well as the actual 9600XT and I also found and downloaded a manual for the 9600 Pro.

What I was unable to do though was read the sticker on the Pro image I found to see if it said Pro on the sticker like the XT does on the 9600 XT.

I will somehow get the correct drivers to install, but I would really like to know what this card truly is.
02-21-2014, 06:12 AM
Site Staff | Video

I can't get to this as fast as I'd like.

- Make sure you use Windows XP SP2. Not SP3. Sometimes SP3 does not work correctly with capture hardware.
- Then one of the drivers here has to work: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...der-hacks.html

Read the entire ATI AIW driver thread, too. It may help.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: alleng1usa (02-21-2014)
02-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Premium Member

Thanks too both lordsmurf and NJRoadfan for their insight on this issue.

I just want to say that I'm sorry that I can not put into words correctly what I am trying to understand from the questions I have ask.

I know what I want to say but I'm kind of dyslexic when it comes to asking or explaining what I'm trying to convey. Everything about my card from photo's suggest it is a XT even though the card does not identify itself as an XT and the core clock is not what the XT core clock actually is.

There was one thing that I did notice though was the P/N on the XT and even on the 9600 Pro I found a image of was that the part numbers though similar appear to be a earlier version. In other words the part numbers I saw show the 102A0900300 series and my card appears to be a later version with the part number being 102A0900500.

Also all the 9600's and 9600XT's earlier versions do not have the fm\tvtuner combo so I wonder if ATI in late 2003\2004 revised the basic aiw 9600 128M card.with the combo tuner as well as the XT and Pro.

I hope that I've been able to express my thoughts more clearly since I also found the box my unused aiw 9700 Pro card was packed in. It does show the card as a aiw 9700 Pro on the card sticker so I have too believe that the sticker on mine is correct and the card is not a pro card or an XT card even though it looks like both the Pro card as well as the XT card from all the images I have looked at.

I still have not tried to re install any version of driver yet and may try latter today. Will let you know what happens since I may not get to try another install of Win2k Pro and see if there are any issues under that OS.

I have also read and reread the entire ATI AIW driver thread, but will do it again. Thanks
02-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Free Member

honestly for all the trouble you are going through i would 86 that card and get a new one - perfeably sealed in box with correct cd. they can be had cheap enough.
the time you have spent and hair pulled out isnt worth the $50 it would probably cost
i dont like the 9600 anyway with its weird breakout cabling (im a cable management freak)
The following users thank volksjager for this useful post: alleng1usa (02-21-2014)
02-21-2014, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

Actually I paid $109.69 with shipping and handling included in that price and I bought it from Compuvest.

Though hair pulling is not a needed event in my life, still I really like ATI cards for capture. I do though think that maybe one of the issues is the Audigy 2 card which I have found reference too as causing issues with the newer WDM drivers and the AIW cards.

I was going to see if this issue would show up under Win2k Pro however I found that I do not have another spare drive to use for a clean install right now. Since I do have a back up of what is currently on the pc drive I'm going to go ahead and try installing without the sound card installed and use the onboard Realtec audio drivers. If I get a good install I will then try to disable the onboard sound and re install my Audigy 2 card.

I need to get off line for awhile since we have some bad storms coming in and I usually shutdown electrical items to save them from possible electrical damage quite common here from thunderstorms.
02-21-2014, 02:43 PM
Free Member

i use a Audigy 2 ZS without issue
did you buy that new? that is a very steep price even for new.
ive bought new sealed AIW cards on ebay for under $50
the ones ive bought new came with driver cds that worked perfect
i would recommend a 9000pro or a 9200 - never have heard anyone have issues with those
the 9600/9700 some have had interference / herringbone noise with
The following users thank volksjager for this useful post: alleng1usa (02-22-2014)
02-22-2014, 09:21 PM
Premium Member

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

1 - I have the Audigy 2 with the Creative 6.1 speakers.
2 - The AIW was bought in June 2009 and was a white box item.
included video out dongle, a\v in breakout box (same by the way as the AIW 9700 Pro), 128MB ATI ALL-IN- WONDER RADEON 9600 and pc\mac multiple card install cd (as stated on sales invoice).

I understand what your saying and I do know that AIW cards are sometimes difficult installing, both the drivers and the mmc.

It could be like you and the others who left responses said it may be being caused from SP3 though what would be a good thing to know is if anyone currently using XP Pro w\SP3 is using AIW 9600 card and what driver versions are for each driver.

In other words:

Display - Properties, driver version Main driver.
Display - Properties, driver version Secondary driver.

Sound, video and game controllers:

Theater Audio - Properties, driver version.
Theater Video - Properties, driver version.
WDM Specialized MVD - Properties, driver version.
WDM Specialized PCD - Properties, driver version.
etc; etc;etc.

List what the driver versions for each driver installed so I have something to compare with what I am getting when I do my installs.

Yes I realize that is a lot of time trying to get a proper install, however in the long run I will know what drivers should be there if I have to nuke and re install. Also it would have been good if I knew exactly which AIW 9600 I have. The one thing that was always good with the ATI Website was you could run your cards serial or part number and it would tell you what you had.

Anyway if anyone is running XP w\SP3 and either the XT or the Pro please let me know.

Another question if this is a made for card for a pc manufacturer but not listed on the card as an XT or Pro is there any way to determine what the GPU MHz is since the only thing I have seen so far are a RV350 on one install I got and the other was the RV360 and both of those RV's showed a 400MHz which should be the RV350.

I can see no reason why the one install would show a 400MHz while showing a RV360 Core Code

Thanks and have a good weekend.
02-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Free Member

post some pics of your card
ATI did make cards for Dell at one point
The following users thank volksjager for this useful post: alleng1usa (02-22-2014)

Tags
aiw 9600, driver version needed, install issues, sound card conflicts