Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-29-2015, 12:28 PM
Free Member

Hi guys!

I took noticed of your replies, but there a lot to read and learn/understand.

I'll come back in a few after some web research to understand all this.

I'm also going to try to get in touch with the guy selling the ATI 550. Should I go with the 550 for 8$ or 650 for 40$? Sorry for the double post, but I might be buying soon!

Thanks again for your detailed answers!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-07-2015, 05:28 PM
Free Member

As I said earlier, I think the 550 looks good from what I've seen. The 650 should be avoided because of the flawed AGC even if it was free.
06-07-2015, 05:44 PM
Free Member

Hi!

I'll go with the 550 but I'm having a hard time reaching the guy selling it. He said I'm out of town for the week, I'll call you back. Still, no call.
If I go with the 550, and the xp setup, I just hope virtual dub is good with it.
Thanks for your support, I'll keep you posted all (might take a while)

-- merged --

Hi all!
I finally got my 550! Now I'm on to the new computer build (with spare parts).
Do you think I should go with XP for driver support, or Windows 7 and workaround driver issues?
I know people were able to make it work (as tv tuner) but I don't know if capture features/options were affected or missing.

Thanks in advance!
06-20-2015, 08:03 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Use XP for your own sanity. It's an extra capture system, so make it work best for that purpose.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-20-2015, 09:19 AM
Free Member

Alrighty, I will do that.

Thanks for the tip, and I'll keep you posted whenever a question comes up or to show new capture results

Have a good day
06-21-2015, 08:29 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo418 View Post
I know people were able to make it work (as tv tuner) but I don't know if capture features/options were affected or missing.
I came across a note I made that indicated I used it on Win7 with VHS to do a brief test capture.

There's a separate utility that's supposed to let you play with the 550's comb filter (and noise reduction) settings, only designed for XP and almost definitely won't work with Win7.
06-21-2015, 08:33 AM
Free Member

Great!

I'm on the process of installing XP but it's giving me error I never heard of so I'm troubleshooting atm.

I've installed so many OS without any issue. Murphy's law, I guess...

Thanks again
06-24-2015, 07:57 PM
Free Member

Well, my system is up and running now.

FYI, had the "disk error read occured. ctrl-alt-del to restart" at boot. Finally found I had to jiggle (not sure about the word!) the sata cable! Sooooo many hours spent for a that simply fix.

Anyway, new problem now. Went to the ATI support site to download drivers.

Got there: http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...r=true&rev=9.7

Downloaded and installed all 3 files.

Now when I start virtualdub and try to capture, bang. Computer turns off and reboot by itself.

Any idea about this issue?

Also, there is only an ATI software available in the windows control panel for decombing, noise etc...

I have nothing at all in the start menu concerning ATI. Is this normal? I mean do ATI really sell card and no software installs when you download from their website? (only drivers)

Thanks in advance

Please see attachment for reference.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (107.8 KB, 4 downloads)
06-24-2015, 10:45 PM
Free Member

For geeks only Here is the crash dump file analysis

Seems to be the following driver issue... but not sure about it

atinavrr.sys
ATI Unified AVStream Driver

See Attachment

Attached Files
File Type: pdf CRASH DUMP.pdf (470.9 KB, 5 downloads)

Last edited by mo418; 06-24-2015 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Link did not work
06-27-2015, 09:28 AM
Free Member

I don't know one way or the other about the lack of ATI software since I never seek out or install that stuff. Even back when I was using the All-in-Wonder 128 Pro it was all third-party AVI capture for me.

I also can't speak much to the crash dump. I would guess it's a hardware problem that appears as a driver crash since the driver has raw access to the device. Possibly the card is simply broken, but I would visually check the PCI contacts, try a different slot, and then try to look for IRQ conflicts if that still doesn't work. Remove any other expansion cards that you can, disable any onboard mobo devices in BIOS that aren't essential, etc. (But write down what you changed and what the original value was!)
06-27-2015, 10:37 AM
Free Member

Yes, I will troubleshoot the issue when possible. It is pretty time consuming hehe

Had anyone already run virtualdub on a virtual machine? I'm thinking about the windows xp mode in windows 7. I could benefit from better hardware, instead of troubleshooting a crappy Pentium 4 @ 1.6Ghz haha

Thanks for your replies
06-27-2015, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Never attach uncompressed files.
In many cases, even lossless AVI is unnecessary, and a high bitrate MPEG can just as easily show problems.
I notice a difference of opinion here between Sanlyn and Lordsmurf?..and now that we can attach up to 99mbps clips, if high bitrate MPEG attachment is good enough for analysis/opinion, then that's the way I'm going to go!..(provided my DSL upload speed is fast enough?)..(I recently spent lots of time fiddling with FTP access)...Now I DO NOTICE Lordsmurf's comment that lossless AVI is unnecessary "IN MANY CASES"..I guess that would mean that sometimes AVI clip would be necessary?.
06-29-2015, 08:41 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockovids View Post
I notice a difference of opinion here between Sanlyn and Lordsmurf?..and now that we can attach up to 99mbps clips, if high bitrate MPEG attachment is good enough for analysis/opinion, then that's the way I'm going to go!..(provided my DSL upload speed is fast enough?)..(I recently spent lots of time fiddling with FTP access)...Now I DO NOTICE Lordsmurf's comment that lossless AVI is unnecessary "IN MANY CASES"..I guess that would mean that sometimes AVI clip would be necessary?.
No, no difference. AVI losslessly compressed with huffyuv, Lagarith, etc., is not "uncompressd". Lossy encoded video like mkv, DVD, etc., can usually show problems. But if you want a more correct analysis and details for a fix, it's best to work with losslessly compressed original caps if they're available rather than hassle with encoded lossy compression problems.

Uncompressed AVI is 3 or more times larger file size than lossless compression, a big waste of space and time if you're posting.
06-29-2015, 09:13 AM
Free Member

^ Yup yup. That was my interpretation of lordsmurf's post, too.

Quote:
Had anyone already run virtualdub on a virtual machine? I'm thinking about the windows xp mode in windows 7. I could benefit from better hardware, instead of troubleshooting a crappy Pentium 4 @ 1.6Ghz haha
I've never heard of anyone successfully using a capture card in a virtual machine, though I don't claim to have scoured all corners of the web. I've certainly read plenty of people complaining when it doesn't work like they think it should.

There's no harm installing the card into your Win7 machine directly, no virtual machine, to see whether the card works at all or has a physical problem.
06-29-2015, 11:55 AM
Premium Member

The ATI 550 will work with Pentium 4 CPU's, and even with slowpoke Celerons. If I could use my old AIW 9600XT (which has more demanding system requirements than the 550 USB) and a Pentium4 1.5 GHz, you could certainly use it with your P4.

Quote:
there is only an ATI software available in the windows control panel for decombing, noise etc...
If you expect to do intensive real-time processing like decombing, etc., during capture you're in for some real disappointment even if heavy duty denoisers were available. People are always doing a lot of work to buck the system and re-invent the wheel, despite countless forum discussion on how it's done. That's up to you, of course. I'm still capturing analog to lossless AVI with a 2004 ATI AIW and a pokey AMD 2GHz CPU on IDE drives. Those captures get copied to an external drive where the heavy processing -- which is far more advanced and sophisticated than the old MMC filters -- is all done on newer 4-core PCs.

Whatever.
06-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
No, no difference. AVI losslessly compressed with huffyuv, Lagarith, etc., is not "uncompressd". Lossy encoded video like mkv, DVD, etc., can usually show problems. But if you want a more correct analysis and details for a fix, it's best to work with losslessly compressed original caps if they're available rather than hassle with encoded lossy compression problems.

Uncompressed AVI is 3 or more times larger file size than lossless compression, a big waste of space and time if you're posting.
Thanks for the correction!..Once again the devil is in the details!..Yes my caps are .avi with huffyuv in ATI MMC...In the future I will pay more attention to this!
06-30-2015, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

Yes. Looking over the final product is fun. It's the details that give you headaches.
06-30-2015, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

Those halos on the Jeep shot and hockey shot could very well be from the camcorder's image sensor. My ye olde VHS camcorder footage has a ton of it, usually bright objects on a dark background. It was clearly visible on playback direct from the VCR to a CRT TV, so I can't blame a capture device on it.
06-30-2015, 03:01 PM
Free Member

Sanlyn: comb filter is a function of the capture card hardware that can't be done in software. Though there are the de-rainbow and dot crawl removal filters fat try to reverse the damage of poor comb filtering.

For noise reduction I agree, though maybe the 550 has some amazing settings...
07-17-2015, 09:10 AM
Free Member

Hi guys! Long time no talk!

I finally was able to have things working after 3 different builds (I have lots of stuff laying around).

The CULPRIT? ATI driver found on the ATI website

I was able to find a newer driver on the web for the 550, and things work A1 now. No crashing upon capture so it was no hardware problems.

I'm now into the process of capturing with Lagarith. The results seem better. I will try to post unprocessed samples similar to the one before (hockey and jeep) so advanced users like you can tell if it's better or not.

Good news, I have no audio sync issue now!

One thing that confuses me are the comb and other setting in the ATI control panel. Do they affect the capture in virtualdub? If so, what should I use (is it default now)

Thanks in advance!