Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-21-2015, 08:42 AM
Free Member

Hi, I'm capturing a few VHS with VirtualDub. I'm saving the video files as .avi, compressed with huffyuv, audio uncompressed.
The thing is I have different (and from what I see worse) results using my AVT-8710 TBC.
Here are some screen captures to illustrate.
What I notice above all is that when using the TBC, the video gets "jumpy", or stutters. I'm not sure of the terminology, if what I say makes no sense I can maybe post some video files
Also, I think the colors look sharper and better without the TBC.
Thanks in advance for any help!

EDIT: Left image is without TBC, right image with TBC.

Attached Files
File Type: zip captures.zip (2.53 MB, 9 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-21-2015, 11:58 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
The images contain one screen capture of VirtualDub. The other image is a screen capture of the way VLC player renders the video, which is not a direct capture from the video. Different players render the same video differently, so a screen capture of a media player rendering a video is not so accurate.

One visible difference is that the AVT will have slightly higher gamma, which is something already known about the AVT-8710 and which can be corrected during capture with VirtualDub's capture setup or later with any number of other filters. Other external tbc's such as the TBC-1000 have different effects, such as visibly softening the image.

Just taking one image alone instead of an actual video sample, VLC player will not deinterlace a paused image (see capture 3 and capture 4) -- another reason why screen captures and different rendering devices can lead to different and often inaccurate conclusions. The most accurate way to make frame captures is to use VirtualDub to copy a frame directly to the clipboard. Use "Video" -> "copy source frame to clipboard".

It is often the case that an internal tbc and an outboard tbc together can generate "jumpy" or unstable video. The built-in line tbc of the player is the preferred tbc if you have turn off one of them. Some of the images have what appear to be dot crawl effects, but with screen captures it's often impossible to say for certain. Some of the VLC images look blurred.

Last edited by sanlyn; 10-21-2015 at 12:12 PM.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: chulek (10-21-2015), lordsmurf (01-05-2016)
10-21-2015, 12:18 PM
Free Member

Ok I think I understand sanlyn, thanks!
I will take more accurate samples and maybe some video samples also.
And you are correct, I was using the built-in TBC of my Panasonic AG-4700 VCR + AVT-8710 TBC for the right images, and only the built-in TBC for the left images.
01-07-2016, 07:52 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I've never really noticed any gamma differences. All TBCs, and all copies of TBCs (not the entire model run), tend to vary a bit. Not much, but even +1/-1 is enough to be detectable by discerning users. If anything, comparing the DataVideo to the Cypress (AVToolbox rebadges Cypress), the TBC-100/1000 is probably bit muddy. So by comparison, the AVT-8710/CTB-100 probably does seem a bit brighter and more contrasty.

VLC is getting worse lately. Not sure why. To judge the true video, opening in VirtualDub is still best.

TBC conflicts are not that common. Some years I have this issue less than 1% of the time. It's the tape, not the hardware. And it's mostly something you see on JVC S-VHS VCRs. In these instances, passthrough in a Panasonic ES10 is needed.

Sometimes dot crawl is not really dot crawl, and is a different dot pattern output by the TBC. It is a problem with hardware and the tape interacting. I recently saw this on a specific ATI AIW card, using only a JVC SR-V10U, with my favorite retail test tape (Liar Liar).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs