Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-25-2016, 03:22 PM
Free Member

Hello,

I have been a long term advocate for using Canopus ADVC 110 for VHS capture. Now when I have more expierence with this I must admit that there have been many instances when this capture resulted in interrupted video/audio. And allways the help for 100% has come from a Panasonic and a Sony miniDV camcoders used as Passthrough to PC. No problems with the same VCR and tapes at all.

What puzzles me and for what I want to find an answer is what could be the difference with capturing between Canopus and a miniDV camcoder? Basically they are the same. Both output DV video through Firewire. Nothing special is mentioned in the Panasonic and Sony manuals about Analog video Input and recording or Passthrough. Any ideas? Why a Camcoder is superior?

Thanks,
Maris

Blaupunkt RTV-950, LG LV-880 HiFi, Sony miniDV ..., Canopus ADVC 55, WinDV,
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-25-2016, 03:56 PM
Remembered

Quote:
what could be the difference with capturing between Canopus and a miniDV camcoder?
Difference you can see in the header

see screen 1

Compression is equal

see Figure 2 + 3

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.Unterschied_Microsoft_Canopus.jpg (144.7 KB, 28 downloads)
File Type: jpg 2.DV-AVI-Kompression.jpg (95.0 KB, 19 downloads)
File Type: jpg 3.DV-AVI-Kompressionsfaktor.jpg (90.0 KB, 17 downloads)
02-25-2016, 08:21 PM
Free Member

On the analog side, the MiniDV camcorders probably just have more robust video decoders. Many MiniDV models also do real line TBC, unlike Canopus boxes.
03-01-2016, 08:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maris 55 View Post
I have been a long term advocate for using Canopus ADVC 110 for VHS capture. Now when I have more expierence with this I must admit that there have been many instances when this capture resulted in interrupted video/audio.
Canopus was all talk, little/no/poor action. For example, a "TBC" was claimed, but nothing actually exists. Same for "audio lock" that really doesn't do anything different from any other capture card. That box was all fluff and marketing. If you live in NTSC, not PAL, you also have color problems to deal with.

Quote:
And allways the help for 100% has come from a Panasonic and a Sony miniDV camcoders used as Passthrough to PC. No problems with the same VCR and tapes at all.
What puzzles me and for what I want to find an answer is what could be the difference with capturing between Canopus and a miniDV camcoder? Basically they are the same. Both output DV video through Firewire. Nothing special is mentioned in the Panasonic and Sony manuals about Analog video Input and recording or Passthrough. Any ideas? Why a Camcoder is superior?
As Goldwing showed, both are indeed using DV. But as msgohan mentioned, the devices are not the same. The cameras are generally better (even if unadvertised), while the overhyped Canopus was a poor performed.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs