Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-04-2016, 09:22 AM
Free Member

Just to clarify, there is no need to have an audio connection with this particular card, right?

Or I have to do?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-04-2016, 10:16 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
You can't capture audio without an audio connection.

The 7500 AIW has an input dongle and an output dongle. The input dongle has connections for s-video, composite video, and left/right red+_white audio cables. The playback device video and audio are connected to the input dongle.

The output dongle has three output cables -- an s-video output and a composite video output. Either of those video output cables would be connected to a VCR or a TV display and are not used for capture. The third output cable is an audio cable with a 1/8" male stereo SONY audio plug. Connect that 1/8" male plug to the line input of your PC's audio card. The 7500 itself does not have an audio capture chip (there is no room for it on the capture card itself), so you need that extra loop-out audio cable that plugs into your audio card.

In your capture software you should indicate that the audio connection is your audio card or its "Line In" input.

Don't use a capture card without consulting its user guide. The setup manual for the 7500 and 8500 AIW's is attached. See page 21 and 22 of the guide. A walkthru and benchmark test review of the 7500 is here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-7500,415.html.

Congratulations. You have one of the best analog capture cards made. I still use mine. A guide to VirtualDub capture settings and troubleshooting using AIW's and USB cards is here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-settings.html.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf AIW_7500_8500_Setup_awra8575.pdf (791.1 KB, 34 downloads)
12-05-2016, 08:25 AM
Free Member

Thanks a bunch for the info. Another question: why is it that there is a need for a separate sound card - i.e. the reason for droped frames and distorted audio?

My motherboard (on the computer running XP32) is pretty new, loads of processing power, and the audio chip is pretty fast/good.

Anyway, I have a very good old sound card laying around (cost a pretty penny back in the day) - I just don't have a free PCI slot, and need to rearrange things in the computer - wished I did not have to do it.
12-05-2016, 10:26 AM
Premium Member

I don't know that I understand the problem. First, dropped/inserted frames are a sign of poor playback timing without a frame-level tbc. Second, the link to Virtualdub settings explains how to prevent those problems.

The AIW cards had no room on the circuit board for full audio processing, so the loop wire lets your audio card handle it. Audio/video timing is read by VirtualDub and the ATI capture drivers. Audio sync hasn't been a problem using the settings explained in the settings guide, which will be slightly different for different capture cards.

Your PC has no audio card? Most have a built-in (integrated) chip, not always the best audio quality but nominally good enough for capture. You haven't posted what you're using to play your tapes or what other hardware is in our capture chain.
12-05-2016, 10:41 AM
Free Member

Oh, I am sorry that I was not all that explicit. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 first revision. On board sound is a Realtek ALC889 High Definition Audio with support for S/PDIF Out.

I am not experiencing dropped/inserted frames, as I did not make the connections yet

I have been reading on this forum that, when using the built-in autio chip, one should expect dropper/inserted frames. Was wondering if this is the case, even when using a relatively new motherboard, like mine.
12-05-2016, 10:44 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
The AIW cards had no room on the circuit board for full audio processing
Well, there probably was room.

However, ATI (later AMD) was no expert at audio. NJRoadfan recently reminded me that the PCIe ATI AIW cards had audio conversion as well as video. However, the audio was pretty craptastic. It was worse than the onboard Realtek chipsets of the era. (And BTW, some of those Realkte were really good, and sometimes they'd play noice with AIW drivers! Sadly, the drivers didn't always play nice.)

^ FYI, probably the problem here. Realtek won't work sometimes. Onboard audio rarely does.

Even the all-hardware MPEG encoder in the PCIe was blah. Don't use it. The "software" (hybrid software/hardware) is the true AIW quality. The hardware encoding has too much posterization and mosquito noise.

ATI was an expert in video and graphics, not audio. The external ATI USB cards fared better because those used chipsets designed by others.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-05-2016, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana2 View Post
Oh, I am sorry that I was not all that explicit. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 first revision. On board sound is a Realtek ALC889 High Definition Audio with support for S/PDIF Out.
Thanks for that info, but by "capture chain" components I meant the hardware that plays your tapes and any other components between player and capture card. Those are the elements, other than what's inside your PC, that affect a/v sync.
12-05-2016, 01:38 PM
Free Member

Ah, ok. Blaupunkt 966 (PAL VCR similar to Pansonic 1980) - currently looking to fixing this and having a hard time with it - into an AVT-8710 (green) - into capture card.

Setup is not yet done, as my VCR is broken.

I was just wondering whether I can reuse my motherboard sound, or if I need to free a PCI slot to install my old sound card.
12-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

Sorry to hear about the player. Meanwhile the Realtek ALC889 audio generally gets good reviews, so it should more than suffice for capture.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: dana2 (12-05-2016)
12-05-2016, 02:34 PM
Free Member

Thank you very much for your info.

Now, if I want to make the audio connection internally, I have two connectors on the motherboard for the audio, one is S/PDIF_O and one is F_AUTO

F_AUDIO - Front Panel Audio Header which can be HD Front Panel Audio or AC'97 Front Panel Audio

For HD Front Panel Audio:
Pin No. Definition
1 MIC2_L
2 GND
3 MIC2_R
4 -ACZ_DET
5 LINE2_R
6 GND
7 FAUDIO_JD
8 No Pin
9 LINE2_L
10 GND

For AC'97 Front Panel Audio:
Pin No. Definition
1 MIC
2 GND
3 MIC Power
4 NC
5 Line Out (R)
6 NC
7 NC
8 No Pin
9 Line Out (L)
10 NC

SPDIF_O - S/PDIF Out Header with 2 pins: SPDIFO and GND

How do I make the connection with the AIW 7500 PCI?
12-05-2016, 02:46 PM
Premium Member

The 7500 can't use SPDIF. The auxiliary audio plug on the video card is for CD audio, not necessary with today's PC's. For audio capture and playback connect the external loop wire output to "Line In" on the back of your video card. Your Realtek's front panel audio connectors are for headphone or speaker connections on the front panel of your PC case. They connect to your motherboard's ports for front panel audio output, not to the 7500.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: dana2 (12-05-2016)
12-05-2016, 03:00 PM
Free Member

Aha. So, the only possible connection for myself is the external one Thank you for confirming this.