12-11-2017, 08:29 AM
Free Member

Hello,

I have read that AIT AIW are geared TFF (Top Field First) for enconding.

Is that correct?

My typical workflow is capturing VHS tape with huffyuv AVI with AGP X800XL thru virtualdub.

I know that when I import video file in premiere pro, the default setting for DV-PAL or DV-NTSC are
Lower Field First.

Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-11-2017, 08:43 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Top-field first (TFF), correct.

DV is bottom field video (BFF). Almost everything else, however, is top-field first.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Mejnour (12-11-2017)
12-11-2017, 09:12 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Top-field first (TFF), correct.

DV is bottom field video (BFF). Almost everything else, however, is top-field first.
Thanks Lord

Does that means that if I want to re-encode, I just have to check UFF in the setting to respect the original video capture? (same as rule as interlaced video; always try to respect the original capture for encoding)

Attached Images
File Type: png Sans titre.png (32.5 KB, 2 downloads)
12-13-2017, 09:50 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
UFF? Must be a typo. Always TFF when working with it, including re-encode.

Technically, you can mix a project with DV footage, and if you have a project setting on BFF, then the NLE should sort out the dominance for you. Note that I rarely ever mixed footage sources like that, and it was at least 5+ years ago, so I could be wrong there. But don't think I am. Sometimes video is like voodoo. That's one of them. Mixing stuff is rarely good.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Mejnour (12-13-2017)
12-13-2017, 01:14 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
UFF? Must be a typo. Always TFF when working with it, including re-encode.

Technically, you can mix a project with DV footage, and if you have a project setting on BFF, then the NLE should sort out the dominance for you. Note that I rarely ever mixed footage sources like that, and it was at least 5+ years ago, so I could be wrong there. But don't think I am. Sometimes video is like voodoo. That's one of them. Mixing stuff is rarely good.
Sorry my mistake; "U" was for upper, but you are right it's "T" for top.
Thanks for the info.

To be honest some I been aware of this details in my workflow since now, I mean I was using the default setting that was BFF and never had problem with the final DVD result. But I read that if I play the DVD on a old CRT TV I may have surprise. So from now I will check "TFF" just to have piece of mind. I am glad I have learn that AIW card are TFF. Thank you it's always a pleasure to benefit from your knowledge!