Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-13-2018, 02:54 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
In other words, you're all for the new teensty-weentsy and restricted-bitrate streaming formats.
I think his comment was actually born from the false idea that disc=old, streaming=new. The video formats (MPEG, H.264) are divorced from the mediums (disc, web), or even partially the containers (MP4, MKV, AVI, etc). This idea that you have to use x264, etc, to be current/modern is hogwash. H264 is a final format, like MPEG often is, and what you do depends on intention.

For example, if streaming, VHS is source, you almost always must deinterlace, and that loses quality. So the fix is to keep master, be it lossless or interlaced MPEG, and then encode out a copy for streaming.

@sanlyn: You know most of this, of course, written for Evo's benefit.

Quote:
I don't have much use for smart TV's.
They really do suck, very limiting. Smart as a dog that licks himself raw and chews rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-Jan View Post
That doesn't make any sense, because they are two different types of devices
JVC DVD recorder has no TBC, known issues with bad signals, but still worked better for this person than the Blackmagic box did on the same bad signals. So the BM is pretty bad with not working with non-perfect signal. But we already know that.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-13-2018, 04:11 AM
Free Member

H264 = MPEG = BluRay Disc = a MP4 format is used in most recording video camera for consumers,
ProRes422 = lossy codec used professional cameras, and post edit, it has much less noticeable compression artifacts, even after a lot of copy generations (Apple whitepaper) and is much better to work with (speed wise) because of that in post, = Pro format.

btw. what would be bad to playback interlaced as interlaced ? (without converting it to progressive)

My/A JVC has no TBC ? but... who cares ? it does it's job no lost frames with my capture device, does not stop capturing when there are recording gaps, if i have them at all on my tapes.
Why be angry to Smart TV's ? all you need is a screen, but i like Youtube on it, as a source, but still use my own common sense.
Yes, all VCR's give bad signals,(not just JVC) it's an analog format ! but the electronics later models have really make a difference !
Most memorable recordings are recorded on the early model VCR's but most tapes people (you and me) used to record on,
came good through those years, and hey, we are talking about VHS ! and i'm happy what i get out from it, and make it easy to watch it over and over again, most of the recordings aren't even there anymore at the original studio's because they are wiped, it makes no sense to make a drama of it, just have fun, and be happy with any result, if you are not doing it for the money, i love it when i accomplish something, with only less effort or hardware, i'm no Pro, so i have fun doing this,
Vinyl made it's return for some communities of fans, audio compact cassettes, and youtube shows also young and old people, who think (analog) VHS VCR 's are "cool" because they are amazed, what such a mechanical device does what now is done by invisible electronics.

Last edited by Eric-Jan; 09-13-2018 at 04:41 AM.