Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-21-2024, 04:48 PM
Free Member

Hello,

I am wondering if it is common to get these types of "squiggly" sync lines in the timing Log when a new scene/cut starts while capturing in Vdub (pic attached)? In other words, whenever someone would hit start/stop on the camera. I seem to get them often but I didn't when I was using the Pinnacle capture card. Now, I am using a PCI AIW VE card. Both of which have been utilized on my clean Windows XP machine.

This might also be relevant, but I will note that I cannot use Preview anymore since switching to the AIW card. It will begin dropping frames before I even hit play on the camcorder. Having the preview disabled is the only way I get 0 dropped frames. I'm thinking my issue are related to the PC, because I have tested two PCI AIW cards on my machine and they both do the same thing (one was even still sealed in original packaging). I tried changing my resolution settings also. Same results.

Anyway, if the above question is normal, then I should be fine. But I just needed to ask since I noticed the other changes too. My XP setup is the following. (Yes, some of the specs are are not fully utilized on a 32-bit XP system. I realized this after some upgrades).

Windows XP 32-bit
P5N-E SLI motherboard
ATI AIW PCI 7500VE
Intel core 2 quad q6600
4x2GB DDR2 RAM (NEW)
500GB SATA HDD (NEW) (OS)
3TB SATA HDD in hot swap bay (NEW) (Capture Drive)

Last edited by PizzaTime; 04-21-2024 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Added clarity and removed emoji
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

Today, 10:50 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaTime View Post
I am wondering if it is common to get these types of "squiggly" sync lines in the timing Log when a new scene/cut starts while capturing in Vdub (pic attached)? In other words, whenever someone would hit start/stop on the camera. I seem to get them often but I didn't when I was using the Pinnacle capture card. Now, I am using a PCI AIW VE card. Both of which have been utilized on my clean Windows XP machine.
From your attached image I see that you have some inserted frames but zero dropped frames... Without a frame TBC or some kind of "signal-cleaning" device it is normal for the capture card to lose sync with the video when the signal gets "dirty", which is the case in recording start/stop or severe dropouts. But in my case I always get some dropped frames in these situations and you have zero, so I'm not sure about the origin of the problem. The screencap also displays a "video resampling rate", and the recommended VirtualDub settings in this website expressly say that the audio should be resampled, not the video. I am no expert in VirtualDub but I also see that the audio sample rate you have configured is not the recommended 48 kHz. I would suggest that first of all you match all the recommended settings for video, audio and timings in VirtualDub that are in the various tutorials of this website, such as in https://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vi...virtualdub.htm
As far as I know, using the "Preview" option is more CPU-demanding than the "Overlay" setting which is recommended in the previous link, is there any reason you aren't using Overlay?

Last edited by fafeco; Today at 10:51 AM. Reason: fix the link

Tags
aiw 7500 ve, sync issues, timing log