Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-04-2019, 08:25 PM
Free Member

Hello:

First of all I would like to express my appreciation for the vast knowledge on this site. I have learned a ton just browsing and searching the forums.

I am in the process of acquiring some hardware for transfer of our family VHS (mostly from a mid-1980's camcorder) and 8mm tapes to digital. I will be using an older Windows XP system for this work, but am also going to build a better XP system to use eventually. I will be using an ATI 7500 VE PCI for capture and a Mitsubishi HD-HS2000u for a player.

I have not been able to find one of the external line TBC's mentioned here, and the Datavideo TBC-1000 is probably a little out of my price range anyway. I was able to purchase a Panasonic ES-15 in excellent shape from a local seller, and was thinking about pairing this with a DVK-100 for a TBC-ish setup as suggested here.

I noticed that in addition to the DVK-100, Datavideo also produced a DVK-200 that looks almost the same but with a DVI-input. Does anyone know if the 200 will offer the same benefits as the 100 when paired with the ES-15? The literature for both is almost the same, and both reference a TBC.

Thanks for your input.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-07-2019, 04:00 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Yes, I believe it is. The main difference is the DVI input for external digital sources.
I don't see many of these.

Just realize that it is NOT a "classic" (TBC-1000, etc) TBC replacement, and is based on the more touchy TBC-5000 that doesn't like VHS source. But if you pre-clean the input with an ES10/15, output to the DVK, and then pass that to the capture card, it's a very nice TBC(ish) setup that works. It does have slight drawbacks, quirks from both unit, but overall cost effective vs. a recommended TBC.

I know why you ask, I see it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: archivarious (02-27-2021)
04-07-2019, 05:13 PM
Free Member

Thank you very much for the response. I understand that the DVK/ES15 set up is not ideal, but would like to try to get something going while I look for a better option. I'm not in a huge hurry either way and can live with less than perfect results - but would like to get the best output I can and am willing put a little work into it. My primary interest is getting some of our older tapes digitized before it gets any more difficult to find the older equipment needed.

-- merged --

One more quick question if I could ask for more help. If I were to go this route, my set up would look like this based on the equipment I have acquired so far (still need the DVK-100/200 or a recommended TBC):

Mitsubishi HS-HS2000u --> Panasonic ES15 --> DVK-200 (or DVK-100) --> ATI All in Wonder 7500 PCI.

In this setup would I keep the DNR/TBC of the Mitsubishi on/active, or should it be turned off? Or does the playback need to be evaluated on a tape-by-tape basis? The tapes I am most interested in capturing are VHS and 8mm home movies in decent condition, but 30+ years old. Some of the forum discussions indicate that the ES15/DVK combo takes the place of the VCR's line TBC, but others seem to suggest you should still use both. I do understand that the above setup would not function like a true TBC and presents some potential issues that may be less than ideal.

Still trying to decide what route to go concerning a workflow; really appreciate the help so far.
The following users thank fluffernutter for this useful post: ThumperStrauss (01-21-2022)

Tags
datavideo, dvk-100, tbc(ish)