02-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Free Member

I imported a clip from another DVD to my computer, and I just now tried to bring that clip into workshop so I could add it to the set, however that clip is a .VOB file, and Workshop won't let me open it.

What can I do to change the file format to something that I can open in Workshop?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Did you already properly rip it from a DVD, using one of these guides?
If you already used those guide, rename the output VOB to MPEG.

If you did not use the guides, simply renaming VOB to MPEG could lead to editing/authoring programs.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
02-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Free Member

Yes, I followed the edit homemade guide word by word, because that's the guide you told me to mostly use and Decrypter saved them as VOB. When I tried to rename the clip name (not the extension), it said the file would be unuseable.

The clip I just ripped from another DVD was also saved as VOB by Decrypter, like the other one was, but this one needed some stuff edited off it, so I brought it into Womble, edited the stuff off, and when I saved it, I typed it as, "clipname.mpg" then exported it. Did I do that right?

The first clip still needs changed from VOB, but I don't need to edit anything off of that one. Would I just go to where I have it saved, and try to change it from VOB to MPG that way, or should I also bring that into Womble, and just export it as .mpg, even though I don't need to edit anything off of it?
02-27-2010, 01:56 PM

That "file would be unusable" warning is a generic Windows warning. You know more than the computer does here, so ignore it. It will be fine.

Quote:
The clip I just ripped from another DVD was also saved as VOB by Decrypter, like the other one was, but this one needed some stuff edited off it, so I brought it into Womble, edited the stuff off, and when I saved it, I typed it as, "clipname.mpg" then exported it. Did I do that right?
Yes.

Quote:
The first clip still needs changed from VOB, but I don't need to edit anything off of that one. Would I just go to where I have it saved, and try to change it from VOB to MPG that way, or should I also bring that into Womble, and just export it as .mpg, even though I don't need to edit anything off of it?
Sometimes I have trouble with a rename even after it's been ripped properly. A good trick is to bring it into Womble, cut on 1 frame -- just one teeny tiny frame, either from front or back of the file -- and then save it out. It won't work if you don't cut/edit something, and a 1-frame cut won't be missed, especially if it's just a typical black screen from before/after your main video content.

02-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Free Member

Even though Decrypter is naming the file .vob after I rip it, does that mean I'm doing it right, or wrong? I'm worried now that I'm doing something wrong.

I view the clip in VLC Media Player immediately after I rip it, and it plays fine..

I followed the steps in the edit a homemade DVD guide, but I hope I didn't miss something?

This is weird..I just tried renaming the file from vob. to mpg where I have the clip saved, and before as I said, the warning came up, and it made it totally unviewable, but this time I added a 1 in my clip name, changed it to .mpg, the warning came up, I clicked yes to rename it, and it plays just fine..

Last edited by Superstar; 02-27-2010 at 02:20 PM.
02-27-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
does that mean I'm doing it right, or wrong?
Doing it right.

Quote:
view the clip in VLC Media Player immediately after I rip it, and it plays fine..
Yep.

Quote:
I followed the steps in the edit a homemade DVD guide, but I hope I didn't miss something?
It sounds like you've done everything correct, not missed anything.
Quote:
This is weird..I just tried renaming the file from vob. to mpg where I have the clip saved, and before as I said, the warning came up, and it made it totally unviewable, but this time I added a 1 in my clip name, changed it to .mpg, the warning came up, I clicked yes to rename it, and it plays just fine..
Odd. Maybe you didn't include the "." or something like that, the first time --- filenamempg vs filename.mpg