08-20-2016, 01:06 AM
Free Member

I've been using Adobe Encore to author some Blu-ray discs and it has worked out very well. I have a question about subtitles however.

In a particular film I'm working on, there is a song that plays over the final credits. I'd like to have English subtitles for the lyrics of the song as it plays.

The issue is that I'd like these particular subtitles to be lower on the screen than the subtitles for the rest of the film. The film is ultra-wide 2.35:1 aspect ratio, leaving black bars on the tops and bottoms of the image even on a 16:9 display. I'd like the lyrics to the song to be in the black bar, but the subs for the rest of the film to be much higher, in the picture.

Is it possible to offset only some lines in an SRT file to be physically higher or lower than the other lines in the same file?

I'd also like to mention that I hate the way Encore handles subtitles, so I use tsMuxer to replace subtitle streams created by Encore after the folder has been built.

Another potential possibility is if I could edit a .SUP file directly, but I don't know how to do this.

Could anyone tell me if what I am asking for is even possible? The problem with the ending credits is that the credits are scrolling upwards in the same color as the subtitles and there are outtakes and fast motion in the frame which makes the song lyrics hard to read.

Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-21-2016, 12:09 AM
Premium Member

I haven't used Encore, but it looks like the program offers options to change the location of subtitle text.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/encore/c...b29-7ea2a.html

I would import the end credit music lyrics as a separate subtitle track and edit the position settings.
08-26-2016, 01:46 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I've always liked how .ASS or .SSA subs look over lyrics in anime in H.264 in MKV containers.
Disc-based subs are so basic by comparison.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-26-2016, 09:36 AM
Premium Member

SSA support with set top media players is spotty though. Do any of them even support SSA subs in a MKV container (aka the "standard" these days)? Its nice having the ability to place text wherever you want.... in multiple colors... and sizes. The format even has industry support as it appears that CrunchyRoll uses SSA in their player.
08-26-2016, 09:59 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
True, no. You have to hardcode the subs to see them all nice and pretty on screen.
PITA, but I did it for Macross Frontier!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs