08-04-2022, 09:07 PM
Free Member

I have been using Womble MPEGVCR for years!

Up until the last version which allows transport stream files (*.ts).

It will not work with windows 10. So as per when it comes to my workarounds I jumped straight into OracleVM running XP SP2. Bit crazy but as a quick fix it worked.

But is there an alternative program out there that works like this mpegvcr? or is it best to use a dedicated machine running xp? I was thinking of dual-booting windows xp alongside windows 10.

I am using an Humax Foxsat HDR, then pulling *ts files over to a pc, then if I keep them edit out adverts etc.
I like this mpegvcr program as I can work fast with it.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-04-2022, 09:23 PM
Free Member

If you're prepared to pay, VideoRedo works well for processing TS and all manner of video. My go-to.
08-05-2022, 12:09 AM
Free Member

TSDoctor, designed for processing of video dumped from sat. It is not free!

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
08-06-2022, 06:42 AM
Free Member

If you need simple video editing functions, also Avidemux can handle .ts files.
I use for edit HD recordings from Dreambox satellite receiver.
08-06-2022, 02:50 PM
Free Member

Thank you all for the suggestions

Mpegvcr is just brilliant! The speed of the program, I can workflow fast with it! but every single other alternative, even back in 2004 just never manages to be exactly like it! other programs have silly quirks or I do not like the way they handle, cut or splice video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enois View Post
If you need simple video editing functions, also Avidemux can handle .ts files.
I use for edit HD recordings from Dreambox satellite receiver.
Thanks. I am probably being a bit fussy but the program appears to work! just need to learn all the options.
Just took a program from the humax, loaded it in, worked out how to save out as an mpg file.

Also! Can you tell me more about this Dreambox? I have noticed these mentioned over the years but never really looked properly at them.
08-06-2022, 07:20 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
MPEG-VCR sometime had sync issues, due to bad remux over longer term videos. So I switched to Womble MPEG Video Wizard about 10 years ago. Note that Womble is out of business, but the program is still around.

Did you try to run it in compatibility mode, or with admin privileges?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-06-2022, 08:25 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
MPEG-VCR sometime had sync issues, due to bad remux over longer term videos. So I switched to Womble MPEG Video Wizard about 10 years ago. Note that Womble is out of business, but the program is still around.

Did you try to run it in compatibility mode, or with admin privileges?
Yes it was one of the first things I tried! seems to make no difference.

EDIT: I tried MPEG Video Wizard and it is ok! seems to run fine. I want to register it, but I do not know how? womble has gone...
EDIT2: No worries all sorted! thank you for suggesting this program

Last edited by altairst8te1974; 08-06-2022 at 09:08 PM.
The following users thank altairst8te1974 for this useful post: lordsmurf (08-07-2022)
08-07-2022, 06:57 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by altairst8te1974 View Post
Also! Can you tell me more about this Dreambox? I have noticed these mentioned over the years but never really looked properly at them.
Dreambox is a german brand of TV receiver (satellite, cable, terrestrial) quite well known in Europe, also in Italy, with Linux based firmware (Enigma).
Mainly I use it to record Italian TV transmission from satellite, and use Avidemux for simple editing (it can handle HD h264 video .ts file)
https://dreambox.de/de/

For MPEG2 encoded .ts file I used for years MPEG Streamclip (On Windows XP/7).
08-07-2022, 02:15 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by altairst8te1974 View Post
Yes it was one of the first things I tried! seems to make no difference.

EDIT: I tried MPEG Video Wizard and it is ok! seems to run fine. I want to register it, but I do not know how? womble has gone...
EDIT2: No worries all sorted! thank you for suggesting this program
Excellent.

If you still want to mess with MPEG-VCR, lots of video software has failed in Win10 due to changes in how preview and graphics gets processed. Sometimes it's as easy as turning off DirectX accleration, sometimes it's a case of disabling Nvidia drivers for that one program (instead falling back to onboard, if available).

Win10 is a sucky OS for video work. You also have to realize that "Win10" is like "OS X", and each "update" is actually a new Windows version. Like Win95>98>98SE>ME, etc, but if it had always been "Win95" named. They borrowed that from Mac, just as Mac stopped doing it (macOS now).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-08-2022, 02:46 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Mainly I use it to record Italian TV transmission from satellite, and use Avidemux for simple editing
When dealing with DVB-S/DVB-T recordings, it is not uncommon to have corruption in the audio/video streams, because weather consition, bad reception of the signal, problems in the broadcast side, potential issues in the capture hardaware, etc.

If the recording is clean, a simple program like AviDemux or MPEG-VCR or Womble MPEG Video Wizard is ok, but when the problems occur, all basic programs are unable to deal with the corrupted mpeg2/mpeg4/mpa/ac3 packets, leading to glitches and especially to audio/video desynch. This may also happen while capturing from analog with a MPEG2/4 card or by compressing in the fly.

In addition, there are auxilary stream in the dvb-s/t transmission like subtitles, teletext and EPG requiring appropiate procedures to be properly extracted.

That's why wonderful programs like PVA Strumento or Project X were designed in the past, dealing with the PTS (Presentation Time Stamp) inside the program streams or the transport streams, and they have been largely used.

Today only few programs are able to work in this contest, and in modern OS. Unfortunateley they are not free.

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
08-08-2022, 03:59 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollo
Today only few programs are able to work in this contest, and in modern OS. Unfortunateley they are not free.
Oh, torture! Which ones are they?

A feature I like of VideoRedo is it's frame-by-frame timeline, with audio levels track. This makes it very easy to pick the exact frame to cut when audio drops to zero, while you can see each video frame fading off to black.
08-08-2022, 05:22 AM
Free Member

Quote:
A feature I like of VideoRedo is it's frame-by-frame timeline, with audio levels track. This makes it very easy to pick the exact frame to cut when audio drops to zero, while you can see each video frame fading off to black.
I was not referring to video editing/ video cut functions, but to fix errors in the streams prior to that. TS Doctor https://www.cypheros.de/eng/index.html and TS Reader are excellent, but non free, software for the processing of DVB-S/T recordings.