Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Edit Video, Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I was writing the earlier this week (either here or VH). Pros NEVER over-process video. Amateurs make this mistake frequently, however. Don't do this.

Accept that the source is what it is. Restore it, yes. But don't try to do wacky things trying to make it either 1% better or perfect, such as boosting the SD res source to HD res. That's never going to look good. The very best you can hope for is a tiny improvement. But odds are it ends up worse, not better.

Quote:
If you're going to do it, I would resize to 960x720 and then add 320 on each side, simply for the sake of a nice clean border.
This is correct.

But again, not suggested.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: metaleonid (09-29-2013)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
Are the DVDs that you authored flagged for TFF?
I don't know. How do I check? I encode with TMPGenc and then author with TMPGenc DVD Author. All my DVDs are played correctly on all set top players.

Quote:
My understanding is that AVI contains no capacity for metadata about field order.
I see. I've already started a new thread in General discussion to persuade the VLC developer to implement a new feature. Can you guys help to contribute?

https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/7713

Quote:
We don't recommend it because if you later get hardware or software that does better upscaling, you can never revert your resized video to the original to benefit from it.
You're totally wrong. I may get rid of my VHS and LaserDiscs, but I will NEVER delete my original Huffyuv files!!!!!

Quote:
If you're going to do it, I would resize to 960x720 and then add 320 on each side, simply for the sake of a nice clean border.
Noted. Thank you. What about 704x480? Add 8 pixels on each side, then resize to 960x720 and then add 320?
09-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
What about 704x480? Add 8 pixels on each side, then resize to 960x720 and then add 320?
That's fine.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-29-2013, 09:51 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaleonid View Post
I don't know. How do I check? I encode with TMPGenc and then author with TMPGenc DVD Author. All my DVDs are played correctly on all set top players.
If you use MPC-HC you can check the MediaInfo tab when playing the VOB. Or download MediaInfo by itself.

Quote:
I see. I've already started a new thread in General discussion to persuade the VLC developer to implement a new feature. Can you guys help to contribute?

https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/7713
Lots of confusion and miscommunication there. Huffyuv can be TFF, BFF, progressive... It's the capture device that causes the video stream that Huffyuv is compressing to be TFF or BFF. You would get the same results if you captured to uncompressed as well.

It's 160 on each by the way. I forgot to divide by 2.
The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: metaleonid (09-29-2013)