06-25-2017, 09:19 AM
Free Member

So.

Recentely I dusted off my old MiniDV camcorder and started shooting bootlegs, later I equipped myself with FullHS AVCHD camcorder and, for fun, with S-VHS camcorder.

I have been recording audio some time before that, so now I am left with the task of learning how to pblueut the sound recorded from soundboard or with dedicated audio recording device into the video discarding the sound recorded by camcorder's mics.

So, the concert ends and I am left with stereo AUD wav, or SBD wav, or separate tracks for later mixing and either DV tape, or AVCHD film, or both.

The camcorder sound might serve as blueprint to sync the properly mixed audio, but the next step would be to sync the audio to frame, as we all know light travels faster than sound there would be minimal delay, that I need to remove.

So, what software can be recomended that will work with uncpmressed PCM WAV, DV AVI, AVCHD and whatever uncompressed file I will have when I will be able to capture from S-VHS?

All is PAL, of course.

Fixing tilt might be welcome, since the tripod i taped my camcorder to was not standing properly upright.

Also I might be interested in conversion to BD after editing.

To prevent any issues I hereby state that I'm not involved in any illegal activity involving copyright infringement I always talk to the band or appropriate representative and ask for permission to record and later they are given the friuts of my work, so no selling bootlegs, sharing via torrents, not even youtube from my side.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-25-2017, 01:04 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
You seem to have typos. No idea what "pblueut" is supposed to be.

Fixing video tilt will be a problem with interlaced footage (DV). With progressive, it's a simple filter in an NLE like Adobe Premiere, Vegas Video or Final Cut. If you need freeware NLEs, try Avid FreeDV (in this forum), maybe Blender (which really is not an NLE).

All of that could be done in Avisynth, but it will be not-fun. Lots of scripting.

VirtualDub has severe sync bugs trying to edit separate audio and video sources, so beware of that.

Something like iMovie would work (not freeware, but included with MacOS), if you have a Mac. It may re-encode. That's the biggest issue with "free" dummy-friendly OS tools.

"Bootleg" is a music video style, and has been for years now. This isn't the 80s anymore. In fact, it was already a vdeo style in the 80s (thank you MTV!). I know some guys who shot actual "bootlegs" on 8mm/16mm films back in the 60s and 70s. They're all retirees now! Even then, I don't think they used the term "bootleg" for video. That was mostly a term for copied and unauthorized cassettes in the 80s and 90s.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-26-2017, 02:03 AM
Free Member

"pblueut" it was simply "put", but accidental ctrl+v inserted "blue"...

The tilted footage comes from the AVC one set on 25p.

I'm more familiar with the meaning of bootleg being illegal music releases, mostly from concerts, the unauthorised cassettes (and in case of Russia CDs, DVDs, BDs) are ussually reffered to as pirate releases or counterfeit releases, very popular in eastern Europe after the fall of communism, because then current copyright law allowed it.

Thakn you for information I shall take a look at Avid FreeDV first.
06-26-2017, 07:02 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFtheGreat View Post
So, what software can be recomended that will work with uncpmressed PCM WAV, DV AVI, AVCHD and whatever uncompressed file I will have when I will be able to capture from S-VHS?
Dv-AVi and AVCHD are not uncompressed.

Quote:
Fixing tilt might be welcome, since the tripod i taped my camcorder to was not standing properly upright.
That means re-encoding.

Quote:
Also I might be interested in conversion to BD after editing.
Again, that requires re-encoding. DV-AVI isn't BD compliant, neither for standard definition nor HD. AVCHD might be, it depends.
https://www.videohelp.com/hd#tech

Web mounting: You'll have to deinterlace and re-encode.
06-26-2017, 08:09 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Dv-AVi and AVCHD are not uncompressed.

That means re-encoding.

Again, that requires re-encoding. DV-AVI isn't BD compliant, neither for standard definition nor HD. AVCHD might be, it depends.

Web mounting: You'll have to deinterlace and re-encode.
The uncompressed reffered to capture from S-VHS, this is placed in undefined future.

One pays for own mistakes with re-encoding.

The final mix will be reencoded to whatever end format will be used, but this of least importance.

For web maybe, but BD/DVD can be made interlaced, I guess there shouldn't be a problem dconverting 25p to 50i.

And I am aware of all of that.
06-26-2017, 10:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
The uncompressed reffered to capture from S-VHS, this is placed in undefined future.
Understood, and it's a good idea.

Quote:
For web maybe, but BD/DVD can be made interlaced, I guess there shouldn't be a problem dconverting 25p to 50i.

And I am aware of all of that.
I get it, but you didn't give many details about the format/frame structure you recorded. I assumed you shot AVCHD as interlaced, and DV-AVI is already interlaced. You can't physically interlace 25p, but you can encode it as interlaced for those formats of BD that are normally interlaced (any encoder worth its salt can apply fake interlace flags).
06-26-2017, 11:34 AM
Free Member

Quote:
I thought that would be enough details.

All camcorders I have can record interlaced video, I simply tried out the 25p option last time, as I took only one camcorder there.

But next time I use two or more I will set to interlaced to match.

I thought that simply splitting one p frame into two i fields would not be a problem, but as above, using two I will not mix i with p. Or I will deinterlace and use it as secondary source for several segments that do not require highest quality. I was thinking of putting DV on the back of the venue to catch whole stage and use AVC one for shooting up close at the stage, or put SVHS to the back, set DV on the side, or behind the drumkit (or maybe put SVHS there, as I will not use many segments extensively from it, but having full concert with whole stage on SVHS looks like fun thing to have), or entirely opposite put AVC on the back to catch everything on HD detail and use DV for closeups where there will be a lot of movement from performers.

Nevertheless, I hope to get to editing the material this week.
06-26-2017, 11:52 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFtheGreat
I thought that would be enough details.
You're right, I somehow managed cruise right past that!

Quote:
I thought that simply splitting one p frame into two i fields would not be a problem, but as above, using two I will not mix i with p. Or I will deinterlace and use it as secondary source for several segments that do not require highest quality.
mm, that one has me going in circles but it's good that you're getting up a plan.

However, if you take 25p, split it into 2 fields (both fields will be identical), then interlace it, you go from 25fps to 12.5 fps. If you encode 25p with applied interlace flags, it will play correctly at 25fps (Many players will play it as interlaced anyway). But many apps will see 25p and refuse to encode or author it as 25p non-interlaced, which is invalid for 25fps BluRay.

Better think it over. If you combine 25p with interlaced Dv-AVI in most editors, and the result is rendered as progressive, it will screw up DV. If you deinterlace 25p DV-AVI, it will be 50 fps -- you can't combine videos with different frame rates (and can't combine different frame sizes, either).

Last edited by sanlyn; 06-26-2017 at 12:13 PM.
08-13-2017, 12:45 PM
Free Member

I was thinking about converting 25p to 50i by using one frame and splitting it into two fields (even and odd).
Nevertheless, the AVC is in HD and the DV is in SD, so to match one needs to be scaled up, or down, so I guess it is easier done to progressive video, rather than interlaced.
08-13-2017, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

For PAL 25fps BluRay/AVCHD:
1920x1080 is interlaced, 16:9. Only. Period.
1440x1080 is interlaced, anamorphic 16:9. Only. Period.
1280x720 is progressive, 50fps, 16:9. Only. Period.
720x480 (BluRay/AVCHD and DVD) is interlaced 25fps, anamorphic 16:9 or 4:3. Only. Period.

No, it does absolutely no good to "split" progressive frames into 2 separate "fields". Both fields will be exactly the same image content. Rather you tell your encoder to encode the progressive video as interlaced. Furthermore, if you take 25fps progressive video and separate each frame into two fields, and then weave the fields together as interlaced video, your 25fps frame rate becomes 12.5 fps. If you mix progressive and interlaced video in one video, you can do it only if you encode both videos as interlaced. You cannot mix a video that plays at 16:9 DAR with a video that plays at 4:3 DAR. If you don't know what DAR means, you haven't been paying attention.

Upscaling SD to HD frame sizes looks like crap. Better to downscale HD to SD dimensions. At this point you don't [seem to yet] understand standard video format specs, so the best way to learn about them is to go ahead and make the mistakes you propose. When you find out that if they don't work so well, report back with some short sample captures and recordings, and many readers here will be glad to guide you through doing it right way, step by step.

Last edited by lordsmurf; 08-13-2017 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Added phrase. Be nice! :)
08-13-2017, 11:12 PM
Site Staff | Video

I'm not sure those specs are 100% correct. For example, 1080p is progressive, too.

Sometimes upscaling SD to HD is unavoidable -- though that situation is best avoided.

The happy medium is usually 720p.
Most important is the filtering. Upsizing is really just another restoration task.
For example, you must matte the 4x3 to 16x9.
Interlaced needs to be IVTC, or deinterlaced QTGMC or Yadifmod.

I need to know more about the project to know whether this is prudent. What footage is dominant? That matters.

08-14-2017, 10:40 AM
Premium Member

Thanks to lordsmurf for a minor edit to my previous post that I should have added myself (!).

The joining project will be a very sticky problem. Apparently the owner has 1080p 25fps and 576i 25fps.

You can resize 1080p to 1280x720p, but 25fps isn't valid at that frame size for BluRay. In fact, nothing the owner has described as 1080p/25fps is valid for BluRay as-is. He can have 1920x1080p/25fps BluRay with forced encode as interlaced (by applying interlace flags gto the encode), in either 1920x1080 or 720x576 -- but 25fps for 720p isn't valid, and neither is 720p with forced encode as interlaced. BluRay for 1280x720 PAL is progressive @ 50 fps or progressive @ 24 or 23.976fps film speed. 720p can't be anything else for PAL BluRay. 720p/25fps will work for web posting or "generic" non-spec mp4 and playback from USB stick. But not for BluRay/AVCHD.

720p/25 can't be combined with the DV-AVI content in the same video, because resizing DV for 1280x720 means deinterlacing the DV and applying pillarbox for the 16:9 frame, after which the Dv content will be 50fps and won't combine with the 25fps HD. The only way the rescaled DV content at 1280x720 will match with the 720p HD is to remove alternate frames from the rescaled DV and throw away 50% of DV's resolution -- in which case DV and HD clips will both be 25fps, and that's not valid for 720p BluRay. Or....you could keep all the rescaled DV frames but duplicate every HD frame to make it play at 50fps, or make the HD content 50fps by applying Avisynth filters that create new interpolated intermediate frames. But both of those are drastic actions that don't always work as advertised.

Downscaling to SD: you could downscale 1080p to 720x576p, but not with the usual generic VirtualDUB, Adobe, or other NLE resizers, but with more appropriate resize wrappers like Avisynth's iResize or ResizeX or similar plugins that handle chroma downsampling and lowpass filtering properly for a clean, sharp resize. Then you could encode that at 25fps with interlace flags and it would combine with the 576i DV, except for one major problem -- the HD and the DV are different aspect ratios! You can't join two videos having different playback ratios.

It would be possible to resize the 576i DV so that it looks like a 16:9 anamorphic frame with a 4:3 image pillarboxed inside it. It would be interesting working with the rescale numbers, bit it would combine a 16:9 and a 4:3 clip into an anamorphic 16:9 video -- plays OK on a 16:9 display but the whole thing would be letterboxed on a 4:3 display. [EDIT but come to think of it, resizing that 720x576 DV to look like 4:3 pillarboxed in an anamorphic 16:9 frame probably won't work because of the original DV's image proportions.]

If the owner had shot 1080/25fps HD as interlaced the way it's usually done, instead of falling for the hype that "p" is always "better", then combining both videos into 720p would be a snap except for the care needed to upscale standard`definition DV to keep it from looking like upsized low-resolution garbage. But there are special filters in Avisynth that work pretty well for rescaling.

I don't think the owner really wants "official" BluRay, unless he specifically states so. Most people think that anything wide-screen or in a big frame is "BluRay", but of course that's far from correct. The BluRay spec includes standard definition and anamorphic video, and there are plenty of 16:9 and 4:3 standard definition commercial BluRay issues today. Frame size`and frame rate are only a small part of strict BluRay requirements. The BluRay spec also includes high-bitrate MPEG2 encoding as well as AVC and VC-1 -- so encoding with h.264 doesn't in itself make a video into "BluRay". What the owner might have in mind could be square-pixel generic formats for playback on a PC or via USB stick or external drive with external media players instead of authoring to official BluRay or DVD disc.

If the owner went for square-pixel video playable as mp4 on PC or external media devices and USB stick or external drive, it could go this way: (a) Downscale the 1080p HD to 1024x576 (which is a 16:9 frame) and encode it with forced interlaced flags. Then (b) resize the interlaced DV content to 768x576 (which is a 4:3 frame) by doing this: deinterlace the 576i with QTGMC for best quality, resize to 768x576, add 128 black-pixel pillars to each side of the frame to make it the same 1024x576 size as the HD frame, then re-interlace and encode. The square-pixel interlaced 1024x576 videos from (a) and (b) can be joined in an editor, then stored on the PC, or copied to USB stick or external drive. It would't be official Bluray, but it can be played as interlaced 16:9 square-pixel wide-screen video that's deinterlaced by players on the fly, just like any other interlaced video.

The problem you might have with that method is web posting. 1024x768 likely isn't favored by many sites, which would prefer a 480-pixel height. In that case the wide-screen frame size for the HD original wouldn't be 1024x576 but would be 856x480. The 576i DV would be deinterlaced, resized to 640x480 with 108 black-pixel pillars on each side to make it an 856x480 16:9 frame, then re-interlaced.

And if you wanted to maintain any semblance of decent quality using any of those methods, learn to use Avisynth and to work with decoded lossless media. Otherwise it's pretty much a sure thing that you'll end up with trash.
08-14-2017, 10:45 AM
Free Member

I don't know a lot about video, especially from the codec and encoding side indeed.

I would learn from mistakes very well.

" Furthermore, if you take 25fps progressive video and separate each frame into two fields, and then weave the fields together as interlaced video, your 25fps frame rate becomes 12.5 fps."

What I had in mind was to take 25 progressive frames and convert them to 50 interlaced fields by takig a frame and splitting it into two fields of odd and even lines, this would theoretically not result in the "combing".

"For PAL 25fps BluRay/AVCHD:
1920x1080 is interlaced, 16:9. Only. Period."

Except my AVCHD camcorder has an option of 1080i AND 1080p.

I'm not thinking of upscaling 576i to FullHD, as mentioned latter the option of upscaling SD to HD and downscaling from FullHD to HD would be a good middle ground.

As for what footage would be dominant it depends on future projects.

Mixing 4:3 with 16:9 is not a problem, black bars to the sides of 4:3 solve it.

"1440x1080 is interlaced, anamorphic 16:9. Only. Period." or plain old regular 4:3.
08-14-2017, 11:22 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Thanks to lordsmurf for a minor edit to my previous post that I should have added myself (!).
It's sometimes easy to read/sound rude, when it's simply frustration of not getting your point across. One of my best friends (for ~30 years now) is a high school teacher. His wife is pre-HS. In the past, I've been a guest lecturer (college level). And at this site, I often find myself as a teacher/professor. When the other person just isn't "getting it", sometimes you feel the urge to hit them over the head with it. But as a teacher, you cannot.

To add some levity, I want to try and start a few off-topic threads: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...cipes-off.html
Give a breather, then try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFtheGreat
What I had in mind
I need to re-explain my "what is this" question. But I'll do it with examples.

3 items I'm currently working on:

1. Documentary for a filmmaker. Capturing lots of VHS, to be included in HD 1080p documentary. So low-res isn't an option. Not sure where it will be screened just yet.

2. Compilation video for a wedding. DV, AVCHD, and VHS sources. This is a diigtalFAQ project, not for me, HDTV viewing by not-savvy grandparent-type users (not idea where "aspect" button is on a remote). So 16x9 is a must, 720p is good call. Mostly DV/VHS in comp.

3. Hobby work. HD (1080 and 720), DV, and VHS sources. Mostly HD footage, but I don't care. The HD was just from DSLR (good cam, not-the-best lens), not much VHS and DV. But it's for me, for family viewing, and SD(ish) 16x9 streaming looks fine. 720x406 1:1, matting 4x3 to 16x9 master frame. If make DVD for too-dumb-to-find-aspect-button sister, will simply upconvert to 720x480 in Avidemux (yes, after down-converting).

Each of these videos will look perfectly fine when I'm done. I'm more about me than the video footage.

The hobby "work" is less work compared to the others. So I ask: how important if the project? If just for you, forget about the HD nonsense. 720x406 looks awesome on a 55" HDTV, sitting just 10 feet away on a couch. And I have 20/25 with contacts (sadly, not the 20/15 I had when younger). It's ~20/22 from 10 feet. I enjoy it entirely, error-free clear video.

08-14-2017, 11:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Quote:
" Furthermore, if you take 25fps progressive video and separate each frame into two fields, and then weave the fields together as interlaced video, your 25fps frame rate becomes 12.5 fps."
What I had in mind was to take 25 progressive frames and convert them to 50 interlaced fields by taking a frame and splitting it into two fields of odd and even lines, this would theoretically not result in the "combing".
That's not correct, and "combing" displays only in editors that don't deinterlace, not in normal play. I'm afraid you don't yet understand what interlaced video is. Interlaced video frames contain 2 images, each image from a different instance in time. A 25fps interlaced frame contains 1 image on even alternate lines, and a 2nd different image recorded 1/50-second later on the remaining alternate lines. You see combing during interlaced motion scenes in editors because the two images appear together, not as two deinterlaced separate images.

You are wasting your time separating progressive frames into separate fields, each field will be identical to its mate. What SeparateFields will get you is two half-sized frames of the same image, each field being half-height 1920x540. If you rejoin those two fields you're back where you started. If you resize those half-height fields to full-height 1920x1080, you'll have duplicate frames that play at 50fps. I can tell you now that 1920x1080 @50fps will choke many players and is a non-standard format.

Or, if you use a deinterlace filter like QTGMC or yadif and deinterlace into full-sized frames at 50fps, every two frames will be duplicates @50 fps (invalid for Bluray). Delete duplicate frames, and you're back where you started.

Or, let's say you use this standard SeparateFields() in avisynth or even VirtualDub. You will have half-height fields @ 50fps and each 2 fields will be duplicates. If you remove the duplicates and keep only unique fields, you're back to 25fps of half-height unique fields. If you then re-weave those unique half-height fields and combine them into full frames with 2 fields each, your frame rate will be 12.5 fps. And you will see combing in editors.

Quote:
Except my AVCHD camcorder has an option of 1080i AND 1080p.
Your camera's 1080p/25fps option is not valid for Bluray. Use 1080i @25fps.

Quote:
I'm not thinking of upscaling 576i to FullHD, as mentioned latter the option of upscaling SD to HD and downscaling from FullHD to HD would be a good middle ground.
The middle ground would be a sensible option, but remember that you have two different frame/fps structures. 720p cannot use interlaced content and is never 25fps for BluRay under any circumstances.

Quote:
Quote:
"1440x1080 is interlaced, anamorphic 16:9. Only. Period."
or plain old regular 4:3.
No, as far as BluRay is concerned, 1440x1080 is not "regular old 4:3", it's anamorphic 16:9. If you encode as square-pixel 1440x1080, you'll have a 4:3 image but it will not be BluRay compliant. You were given a link earlier to the basic specs for Bluray and AVCHD. I don't see why you're ignoring them. They tell you a lot that you need to know.

But with a little hands-on, you'll get up to speed.

Last edited by sanlyn; 08-14-2017 at 11:48 AM.
08-14-2017, 11:58 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

I need to re-explain my "what is this" question. But I'll do it with examples.

3 items I'm currently working on:

1. Documentary for a filmmaker. Capturing lots of VHS, to be included in HD 1080p documentary. So low-res isn't an option. Not sure where it will be screened just yet.

2. Compilation video for a wedding. DV, AVCHD, and VHS sources. This is a diigtalFAQ project, not for me, HDTV viewing by not-savvy grandparent-type users (not idea where "aspect" button is on a remote). So 16x9 is a must, 720p is good call. Mostly DV/VHS in comp.

3. Hobby work. HD (1080 and 720), DV, and VHS sources. Mostly HD footage, but I don't care. The HD was just from DSLR (good cam, not-the-best lens), not much VHS and DV. But it's for me, for family viewing, and SD(ish) 16x9 streaming looks fine. 720x406 1:1, matting 4x3 to 16x9 master frame. If make DVD for too-dumb-to-find-aspect-button sister, will simply upconvert to 720x480 in Avidemux (yes, after down-converting).

Each of these videos will look perfectly fine when I'm done. I'm more about me than the video footage.

The hobby "work" is less work compared to the others. So I ask: how important if the project? If just for you, forget about the HD nonsense. 720x406 looks awesome on a 55" HDTV, sitting just 10 feet away on a couch. And I have 20/25 with contacts (sadly, not the 20/15 I had when younger). It's ~20/22 from 10 feet. I enjoy it entirely, error-free clear video.
My projects are semi-pro/semi-hobby live concerts footage intended for the artists for possible release in full, or part.

So, if the 720 is the finish point the DV must be deinterlaced, as there is no 720i, noted.
Or I can go with 1080i route, shoot in 1080i and 576i and upscale the latter, though I'm not sure what upscaling would do to interlaced footage.
Apparently I cannot go with 1080p with PAL, as 1080p25 is non-compliant, .
And I cannot shoot 4:3 FHD.

So for my 1080p25 footage I'd have to flag it as interlaced to be BD compliant.

Yet UHD has all common frame speeds as progressive .

Sounds like fun.
08-14-2017, 01:07 PM
Site Staff | Video

720p50 16:9 is probably your best bet.

The data rate is 2x 25p/i, yet ~half 1080p, so the final size is the same. The 50p data rate will make temporal filters take longer. If the source is interlaced SD, you really need to anti-alias, regardless of 25i>50p or just 25i>25p+dupe. AA is part of QTGMC process, or Yadifmod, but not others.

Flags aren't part of this.

At least with 25i>25p+dupe you can decimate by 50% for web streaming version. And that may matter more than disc releasing these days. I'd put the band below my documentary work, but slightly above the customer wedding. Everything is relative.

Congrats. You're seeing the not-fun advanced-workflow side of video. Careful planning is a must!

08-14-2017, 10:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
My projects are semi-pro/semi-hobby live concerts footage intended for the artists for possible release in full, or part.
Then part of the learning curve for your camera setup and post-procewsing is assuring legal video levels for difficult stage lighting conditions, which isn't an easy task. Digital video is far more limited than film or analog when it comes to contrast range and color accutance.

Quote:
Or I can go with 1080i route, shoot in 1080i and 576i and upscale the latter, though I'm not sure what upscaling would do to interlaced footage.
Be careful about being sold on the idea that standard-def 576i can easily be upscaled to full HD 1080 height. Upscaling 576i to 720p is tough enough when done carefully, but upscaling it to 1080i is really a stretch and will look weird and blurry especially if mixed with 1080i source footage. Better to downscale 1080i to 720p, and upscale 576i to 720p.

Interlaced video should never be resized without first deinterlacing with QTGMC or at least yadifmod. Any other deinterlace method is not just second-rate, it's just plain bad. Resizing interlaced footage while it's still interlaced causes permanent damage that can't be repaired.

Quote:
Yet UHD has all common frame speeds as progressive .
UHD is a different world -- different hardware, different codecs and software, and currently beyond the means and expertise of all but the most financially and politically well connected. Never fear. "Plain" BluRay and DVD won't be obsolete any time soon. DVD still outsells BluRay.
09-25-2017, 09:40 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Then part of the learning curve for your camera setup and post-procewsing is assuring legal video levels for difficult stage lighting conditions, which isn't an easy task. Digital video is far more limited than film or analog when it comes to contrast range and color accutance.
Tiem to dust off S-VHS moloch.

Quote:
Be careful about being sold on the idea that standard-def 576i can easily be upscaled to full HD 1080 height. Upscaling 576i to 720p is tough enough when done carefully, but upscaling it to 1080i is really a stretch and will look weird and blurry especially if mixed with 1080i source footage. Better to downscale 1080i to 720p, and upscale 576i to 720p.

Interlaced video should never be resized without first deinterlacing with QTGMC or at least yadifmod. Any other deinterlace method is not just second-rate, it's just plain bad. Resizing interlaced footage while it's still interlaced causes permanent damage that can't be repaired.
That's exactly what was puzzling me, what will happen to interlaced fields if they were upscaled without deinterlacing.

Nevertheless, time to finally get to work, I'll start by syncing external audio to the video and then see how it turns out.