10-21-2020, 03:54 PM
Free Member

Hi all, I’m hoping to get some help with understanding where I can go from here to make my VHS capture look better. This is for a project where I’m digitizing my collection of Japanese VHS tapes, using a JVC SR-VS30 (using the internal TBC), with optionally a ES15 if the video seems like it needs it (didn’t use it on this tape), going into a ATI 600 USB capture card over s-video and then saved in HuffyUV format.

My goal is to have a “good” looking final output that I can archive / share in an easily consumable format.

I’m having some trouble with the posted video (a compilation of clips from throughout the tape), for which I used the following Virtualdub filters:

1. Deinterlace (yadif with double frame rate)
2. Crop edges
3. MSU Denoiser
4. Camcorder color denoise
5. MSU Smart Sharpen (borders only)
6. resize to 640x480
7. interpolate frame rate to 60fps

I also tried Neat Video, which cleaned up some more noise but also destroyed a lot of detail. I’m not sure where to go from here and there are still some issues that are nagging me, such as the yellow banding which the CCD filter helped with, but didn’t entirely eliminate. The tape might just be too old since I tried other tapes and the banding isn’t present on them.

I don’t think there are issues in my capture setup, so improvements would be on the processing side. Are there other Virtualdub filters I could try to clean things up?

Thank you!

WARNING: The attached clips are NSFW, my apologies if this violates a rule (I couldn't find any related to this). If it does, let me know and I can remove them. They’re also a little more compressed than I’d like, to fit into the upload file size limit.

Attached Files
File Type: avi ONA-126_cut_original.avi (95.37 MB, 33 downloads)
File Type: avi ONA-126_cut_processed.avi (95.45 MB, 13 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-21-2020, 04:50 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anolegang View Post
1. Deinterlace (yadif with double frame rate)
"Deinterlace" on that video results in judder. So does "IVTC", so I can't tell if the original source was video or film.

Quote:
2. Crop edges
Don't crop. Mask.

Quote:
6. resize to 640x480
Resizing reduces sharpness, then you have to sharpen to fix it. Instead, at the very end of your process, just tell the container (.mkv or .mp4) that the aspect ratio is 4:3.

Quote:
I’m not sure where to go from here and there are still some issues that are nagging me, such as the yellow banding which the CCD filter helped with, but didn’t entirely eliminate.
You could try repacking the tape (fast forward all the way to the end, then rewind).

Also, it looks like the histogram wasn't set correctly when capturing. The blown whites and crushed blacks will limit your ability to restore the video.
10-21-2020, 05:22 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traal View Post
"Deinterlace" on that video results in judder. So does "IVTC", so I can't tell if the original source was video or film.
From what I can tell some scenes have judder (such as the second one) and some don't, so I'm not sure what's going on there. Not sure how to fix in this case.

Quote:
Resizing reduces sharpness, then you have to sharpen to fix it. Instead, at the very end of your process, just tell the container (.mkv or .mp4) that the aspect ratio is 4:3.
Thanks, this makes sense.

Quote:
Also, it looks like the histogram wasn't set correctly when capturing. The blown whites and crushed blacks will limit your ability to restore the video.
Ah ha! This is one of those steps that I totally missed, so it sounds like I'll have to recapture with that in mind at the very least. Thank you!