Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-26-2022, 08:04 AM
Free Member

Hello,

my excursion in building my own music video library continues. I bought factory VHS releases of Queen, U2 and other bands. Now I transfer them to digital format and remove noise etc. This Queen's video collection suffers from problems with color information at the edges, especially in bright colors and their borders. They seem to mirror and "multiply" as if the outline area is copied at least once at a certain distance from the original outline. I did other captures and they don't suffer as strong problem as this one.

I know this is kind of common problem so i tried Dehalo_Alpha and ChromaShift (with 32 bit Avisynth, now using 64 bit mainly). Also did another capture with Panasonic NV-FS90EG through S-Video only. There is DMR-ES10 on the chain making some corrections to the picture.

Do you have good ideas on dealing with that issue? Look at the singer's blue t-shirt outline and the guitarist's white shirt outline. Attachments: There are 3 raw non interlaced samples and one with all corrections on my taste.

And again big thanks for this forum. I have plans to make a small youtube clip where I talk about my own experiences in VHS restoration. I will mention digitalFAQ as a professional source on this restoration (and dealing with "old" analog video) subject.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-26-2022, 04:13 PM
Free Member

do you have original caps ? These are deinterlaced 50p
08-27-2022, 04:01 AM
Free Member

Here's another sample HUFFYUV and u can enjoy music for a 11 sec as well... Should be interlaced.

Attached Files
File Type: avi Q_Sample_problem_borders_T_Shirt_HUFFYUV.avi (79.27 MB, 15 downloads)
08-27-2022, 06:00 AM
Free Member

try YAHR with a depth of 48 or higher for the halos.
(additionally I would use some chroma shift and chroma bleeding filters, MCTemporalDenoise and maybe add some grain back at the end)
here's screenshot a quick try: https://imgsli.com/MTIyNzk1
using Vapoursynth (https://pastebin.com/hBn5wiQ1), but all the filters I used should be available for Avisynth too.
08-27-2022, 08:37 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selur View Post
try YAHR with a depth of 48 or higher for the halos.
(additionally I would use some chroma shift and chroma bleeding filters, MCTemporalDenoise and maybe add some grain back at the end)
here's screenshot a quick try: https://imgsli.com/MTIyNzk1
using Vapoursynth (https://pastebin.com/hBn5wiQ1), but all the filters I used should be available for Avisynth too.
Thank you. I archived your solution. It smoothened the defected outline area so it won't "jump" on your face, especially in the static scenes. I'm still going to try other tape recorders to run that video. I previously moved that blue part and it aligned better on the right side, but after move it was more offset to the left.

I need to run that tape with different VCR's. Maybe one of them will draw the color information more precisely into place... Too bad my JVC HR-J638E is eating tapes and won't eject without manual dialing out the mechanism.. LG RC388 is for rewind purposes because it is combo DVD <-> VHS with super softened, digitized S-Video output which is immune to any post picture correction (TBC etc, no effect). Both of my S-VHS NV-FS90EG decks are making lot of picture errors. The other is generating black lines and the other comets... The black line generator has a replaced head drum, but it needs some sort of sync with oscilloscope / tube crt display monitoring tools... My current, under 50 hours "NV-HV61 Panasonic" is normal light weight home VCR and the playback quality via scart is just like throwing a dice.

There's always an option to buy that Queen Greatest Flix 2 as a DVD version. MPEG2
02-13-2024, 11:25 AM
Free Member

Hello,

and don't let the old post fool you. Some kind of development has taken place again. My good 'ol' full randomly "making a full screen frame with green colour "defect creator Pinnacle PCTV 100i (Philips SAA7134(?) digitizer chip, PCI generation multi TV tuner from 2004) was installed to old Pentium Dual E5500 with PCI card bus / Windows 7 - 32bit. Strange but now it works without a problem. It is only expansion card on that MB. In the previous setup where was a PCI-express video card installed in parallel.

Interestingly I put my JVC S8960 with TBC on EDIT mode -> Pinnacle PCTV 100i S-Video. And now the edge information and overall grain generation is best what I have achieved till today. Shadows on the edges have more or less plagued all my captures. I have assumed until now that the HP Skyhawk Conexant circuit-based card equipped with a 3d comb filter would be the best I could find. Based on the latest tests (3 different tapes, 2 commercial and 1 TV recording) Pinnacle's picture is the most stable even though its comb filter is 2D and the specs of Conexant's 10bit circuit etc. would suggest otherwise. Attached an example JPEG related to edge ghosts. Exactly the same tape. Another taken on a chain with - ES10 - SkyHawk.

Final words, it has to be said that the JVC S8960's ugly way of fixing dropped lines is still a problem, but the whole end result is now better despite the problem. Next to run PCTV 100i using ES10 in between and not TBC S-VHS as source. I haven't gotten my hands on a decent external full-frame TBC.

The amount of degraining is radically less when using S-VHS S8960 TBC with noise reduction. The level of the output material is remarkably noise-free compared to basic non-TBC S-VHS output.

See some pictures. Made a DIY rack (with wheels) for decks and other stuff. So my gear at the moment:

Main gear:
-----------
JVC S8960 /w TBC
JVC S6700 S-VHS non TBC
Panasonic DMR ES10 DVD for some picture fixes
Panasonic NV-FS90EG picture drum replaced from donator deck (generates black lines, soon HQ cleaning)
Panasonic NV-FS90EG (generates silver comet lines)

Rewind machines and players for dangerous tapes (biologically or mechanically)
--------
LG RC390 VHS - for rewind
JVC HR-J638 VHS - my first HIFI video which gone mad
NV-FV61 VHS - rewind and maybe tapes with mold
Philips VHS last generation plastic "lightweight" POS - for tapes with mold

Capture cards: HP SkyHawk /w Conexant PCI-e card and Pinnacle PCTV 100i PCI-card /w Philips chip
Audio: Behringer Euphoria UCM 4 for audio

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ComparisonJVC638.jpg (110.8 KB, 8 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG20240211192150.jpg (92.4 KB, 8 downloads)
File Type: jpg IMG20240210160339.jpg (82.7 KB, 8 downloads)
File Type: jpg PCTV100_chip_kinda_similar.jpg (101.6 KB, 6 downloads)

Last edited by FinnTape79; 02-13-2024 at 11:43 AM.
02-14-2024, 01:21 PM
Free Member

Here is one final (concert video). Also the soundtrack is checked with Ozone master tool:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1odfcOd7uS4ib9IIi6ATBAhH0sQ6YNCFH/view?usp=sharing

A bit harsh movement. There is sawblade kind of artifacts. This was recorded 2001 from DVB-T digital receiver "set top box" and I CAN SAY that the digital artefacts transfer to VHS as well. So it is worst of both worlds..

JVC S8690 did good job with internal TBC and Pinnacle PCTV100i (Philips SAA 9bit / 2D comb filter) is doing its job. This is kind of new tape (2001) so it explains vivid colours. It may be oversharp.

Tags
halos edge ringing double