Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-27-2022, 10:20 AM
Free Member

Hello Guys,
finally i could capture VHS tapes into lossless format
  • with VirtualDub 1.9.11 + Filters (downloaded from the forum),
  • using HuffYUV_multithreaded codec (also downloaded from the forum matching to my Core2Duo processor),
  • following this guide

Now i understand why we need to encode it into final / delivery format. The file size is huge and VLC could only playback the footage after i installed the HuffYUV_mt.inf codec. I didn't want to complicate the process with editing, corrections, etc. (it did'nt need it) just produce an output to playback in VLC without other codecs, consuming less storage. I choosed AviDemux based on thread suggestions but after i open the captured file the playback screen is green, Video Decoder is ????, the version is 2.6.4 and i don't know how to proceed?

Avidemux_error.jpg

I missed a step? Actually these two apps (Avidemux and VirtualDub) are good and enough for these process or should i choose or add another one? Maybe the capture rig with XP SP2 is not optimal for Avidemux?

Thank you.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-27-2022, 12:44 PM
Free Member

It was never meant to playback the lossless files, The reason to capture lossless is to overcome the losses associated with de-interlacing, applying filters and encoding.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
11-27-2022, 01:21 PM
Free Member

Sorry i was misunderstandable. I know that lossless is not for playback. This is my personal experience so i understood really well why it has different purpose. The question is why Avidemux cannot handle lossless format. Do i need something to do in VirtualDub or in any other application, maybe just my Avidemux is not working (version or driver issue) or something else.
11-27-2022, 03:17 PM
Free Member

I don't use Avidemux but you can post a short sample here so other members can check the parameters of the video file.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
11-27-2022, 11:18 PM
Free Member

AVIDemux current version is 2.8.1.
11-28-2022, 10:34 AM
Free Member

I installed the latest 32 bit Avidemux version 2.7.7. Still not working but at least i got some error messages:
avidemux_2.7.7_error.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Maybe some Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library missing?

Here is the sample file:
avidemux_2.7.7_error_2.jpg

I opened it in VirtualDub where i previously captured in lossless format with HuffYUV codec, selected a short footage from the original capturing and selected Save as AVI... menu item from File. Maybe this is not right way to get samples, right? AviDemux is also craching with this footage.

Finally i gave it to GSpot for getting some more information that could help:
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

11-28-2022, 03:35 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Hello Guys,
finally i could capture VHS tapes into lossless format
  • using HuffYUV_multithreaded codec (also downloaded from the forum matching to my Core2Duo processor),
Why do you use a hacked version of HuffYUV for capturing. Use the original one!

Quote:
Now i understand why we need to encode it into final / delivery format.
Yes in general, but if you want to stay inside a PC, you can play the HuffYUV captured files with VLC or otherplayers without any issue.

Quote:
The file size is huge and VLC could only playback the footage after i installed the HuffYUV_mt.inf codec.
I do not believe this. VLC only uses its codecs.

Quote:
I didn't want to complicate the process with editing, corrections, etc. (it did'nt need it) just produce an output to playback in VLC without other codecs, consuming less storage.
First, VLC can play HuffYUV files without any issue. Second, based on what you aim you do not need then any useless GUI (Avidemux, Handbrake, Staxrip, and similar). Just a simple command line for h264 encoding.
https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...html#post87863

Quote:
I choosed AviDemux based on thread suggestions ...
AviDemux has been designed for ... demuxing the streams. You do not need it for your goals.
11-28-2022, 05:40 PM
Free Member

I think the issue is the Multithreaded HUFF codec; my AVIDemux 64bit 281 won't open it either.

Handbrake will open your AVI and you can recode it to MP4.

If you want to edit your AVI (trim the ends off, for example), you can do this in Virtual Dub using the trim buttons at the bottom, then encode it with x264 into MP4 format. Let us know if you get stuck.

Lollo, you need to calm down and stop bashing everybody.

Quote:
As Cortex stated: "using HuffYUV_multithreaded codec (also downloaded from the forum matching to my Core2Duo processor),"

Now whether that was the correct thing to do does not warrant your rant. Did they go against what you had told them? No. So don't be so critical. A (possible) mistake was made with the capture codec selection; work with them, not tear strips off them and virtually accuse them of being an idiot.

Quote:
Yes in general, but if you want to stay inside a PC, you can play the HuffYUV captured files with VLC or otherplayers without any issue.
It is not practical to keep videos for general viewing in Lossless formats. On a computer with VLC? Yes, but everything else requires a more mainstream format. Cortez is absolutely doing the right thing wanting to convert to MP4.

Quote:
First, VLC can play HuffYUV files without any issue.
That's irrelevant because we're dealing with HUFF MT. And VLC Player will not open HUFF MT.

Quote:
Second, based on what you aim you do not need then any useless GUI
For the nerds, command lines are probably great. For the rest of us, they are complicated and time-consuming to set up. Looking at your link, unless you have an good working knowledge of FFMpeg, those command lines are just gibberish. Do you still use DOS and Wordperfect 5.1? Of course not.

Quote:
AviDemux has been designed for ... demuxing the streams. You do not need it for your goals.
AVIDemux is a good program for basic operations such as trimming and recoding.
11-29-2022, 02:11 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Lollo, you need to calm down and stop bashing everybody.
You must be joking, I am not bashing anybody, and being very calm.

Never say this again to me.

Quote:
Quote:
As Cortex stated: "using HuffYUV_multithreaded codec (also downloaded from the forum matching to my Core2Duo processor),"

Now whether that was the correct thing to do does not warrant your rant.
The only rant is from you. I was just suggesting to OP the usage of the the original HuffYUV code, because is appropriate; something
you did not do in your first replies. Who is ranting?

Quote:
Did they go against what you had told them? No. So don't be so critical. A (possible) mistake was made with the capture codec selection;
work with them, not tear strips off them and virtually accuse them of being an idiot.
I am not critical nor accusing OP to be an idiot. Nor anybody else (but I could make an exception). I was just suggesting to OP the usage of
the original HuffYUV codec.

Quote:
It is not practical to keep videos for general viewing in Lossless formats. On a computer with VLC? Yes, but everything else requires a more mainstream format. Cortez is absolutely doing the right thing wanting to convert to MP4.
The OP said: "I didn't want to complicate the process with editing, corrections, etc. (it did'nt need it) just produce an output to playback
in VLC without other codecs
"
I have understood that he did not want an additional codec, like h264 (but I may be wrong). Then the only way is to use the original capture codec, but it cannot be HuffYUV_MT.
If he wants to save space, then the h264 compression is absolutely adequate.

Quote:
First, VLC can play HuffYUV files without any issue.
That's irrelevant because we're dealing with HUFF MT. And VLC Player will not open HUFF MT.
See above.

Quote:
Quote:
Second, based on what you aim you do not need then any useless GUI
For the nerds, command lines are probably great. For the rest of us, they are complicated and time-consuming to set up.
Bullshit.

Quote:
Looking at your link, unless you have an good working knowledge of FFMpeg, those command lines are just gibberish.
Bullshit.

Quote:
Do you still use DOS and Wordperfect 5.1? Of course not.
Non sense. You ignore that all the GUIs internally use ffmpeg and some of them AviSynth. Better to spend some hours to understand
the original ffmpeg syntax and run it properly.
11-29-2022, 03:16 AM
Free Member

Thank you for replies guys. We can agree that HuffYUV_multithreaded codec is not reliable, not working therefore not suggested. I am just wondering then why is it listed among the other HuffYUV codecs
VirtualDub_with_codecs.jpg
when everything that considered as junk eliminated from this forum. Maybe no one uses it, just people like me.

So i suppose i have to start all over again the capturing with the original HuffYUV codec. I am unsure so please confirm it to me that the first step in the process is to capture the tape with VirtualDub or ATI MMC with less functionality (i know and used these two only), with lossless codec without any compression to get the best possible quality from the tape?

Quote:
Yes, but everything else requires a more mainstream format. Cortez is absolutely doing the right thing wanting to convert to MP4.
Yes absolutely. A common format that is playable on almost everything. That what i want to do.

Quote:
If you want to edit your AVI (trim the ends off, for example), you can do this in Virtual Dub using the trim buttons at the bottom, then encode it with x264 into MP4 format. Let us know if you get stuck.
I used VirtualDub for trimming and cutting already. I captured the tape into one file and then splitted it by scenes. So VirtualDub can also encode the lossless format into MP4 wow. I didn't know that VirtualDub is capable of that. Handbrake does the same? Very funny name for an application i will give it a try .I don't have problems with command line tools. I often use YT-DL from console but for a beginner like me, maybe a GUI is more convenient way to do the job. I still don't know the meaning of the jargons like encode, demux, transcode, lossless, MP4 formats/containers as you can see. Therefore i don't know what should i do with the existing footage using what application that is suggested.

11-29-2022, 03:48 AM
Free Member

Cortez, you're speaking my language!

A few points:

So i suppose i have to start all over again the capturing with the original HuffYUV codec.

I don't think so, but I seek confirmation from the floor that the following procedure will not degrade your video by re-encoding it. It is easy to change codec in VDub:

Open the file

Video>Fast Recompress

Video>Compression>set normal HUFFYUV.

File>Save video.

So VirtualDub can also encode the lossless format into MP4 wow. I didn't know that VirtualDub is capable of that.
I use Virtual Dub 2 because it has the x264 encoder in it already, although you can "install" the x264 codec so it can be used by earlier versions of VDub and other programs.

You use a similar procedure to that above, except you choose Video>Full Processing Mode.

I still don't know the meaning of the jargons like encode, demux, transcode, lossless, MP4 formats/containers as you can see. Therefore i don't know what should i do with the existing footage using what application that is suggested.

If you are happy with it as it is ie no more editing required (you do know you can do all sorts of improvement to it using Video>Filters ) then you can just export what you already have straight out of VDub into MP4 (the file container) using the x264 video codec. You'll then be able to view it on/with anything; TVs, tablets, phones, computer.

And I agree, Handbrake is a weird name!
The following users thank Hushpower for this useful post: Cortez (11-30-2022)
11-30-2022, 01:31 PM
Free Member

Thank you very much Hushpower you are very kind. Actually i don't speak your language very well because english is not my native language as you can see, using the same words and phrases which i know, i am sometimes misunderstandable but it seems you understand me very well.

I gave back the VHS tape a long time ago so i have to try it reencode to get mainstream x264 MP4 format. If it doesn't help i will ask that tape again.

Quote:
If you are happy with it as it is ie no more editing required (you do know you can do all sorts of improvement to it using Video>Filters ) then you can just export what you already have straight out of VDub into MP4 (the file container) using the x264 video codec. You'll then be able to view it on/with anything; TVs, tablets, phones, computer.
I am not happy, but it seems that this captured material doesn't need correction. I would be happy if i could make progress by capturing process from the beginning to the end. From a lossless format to a delivery / final format like x264 / MP4. In this process corrections, editings, etc. don't fit in for me now, i have still a lot of thing to learn because i have a lot of tape with head switching noise for example.

Okay first i try to reencode the lossless file with VirtualDub using x264 encoder to get a MP4 file. Where can i find x264 codec to install it? I suppose the installing procedure is the same as by HuffYUV_mt, right? If VLC still cannot play this result then i have to return to the last "checkpoint" reinstall VirtualDub with the normal HuffYUV codec and start with an other test tape.

One more question. How can i call these video files during capturing process with the appropriate technical jargon? I know footage, video, video file, raw material.
12-01-2022, 04:40 AM
Free Member

Cortez, your English is great! Certainly a whole lot better than my... I'm sorry about my earlier exclamation :You're speaking my language!". It probably sounded offensive but was meant as a compliment and that we were "on the same page/thinking alike".

Quote:
Okay first i try to reencode the lossless file with VirtualDub using x264 encoder to get a MP4 file. Where can i find x264 codec to install it?
The simplest way is to use Virtual Dub 2 from here:

https://www.videohelp.com/software/VirtualDub2

I know it seems silly to have two VDubs, but they don't "install" as such, so they don't mess up your system. VDub 2 is not the best for capturing, according to The Lord, but it is more modern than VDub 1.9.11, can open all sorts of files, and has the x264 encoder built-in. I did have trouble with the external x264 encoder in 1.9.11 so now I just use VDub 2's internal encoder.

Quote:
I have still a lot of thing to learn because i have a lot of tape with head switching noise for example.
I don't know about cropping/masking the headswitching noise and side bars in VDub (which we all have in our captures); I use my video editing program to crop my videos.

Quote:
If VLC still cannot play this result
VLC Player will play your new MP4, guaranteed.

Quote:
One more question. How can i call these video files during capturing process with the appropriate technical jargon? I know footage, video, video file, raw material.
No problem with your current level of jargon, you're fine and quite easily understandable.

Export MP4 with Virtual Dub 2
Open file

Video>Full Processing Mode

Video>Compression: choose x264 8 bit, then on the Configure button: set Rate Factor to 16 (that will be good quality, the lower the RF, the higher the quality but the higher the file size)

OK out of those screens

Audio>Full Processing Mode

Audio>Compression: choose FFMpeg AAC, click Configure and set bitrate to 192kbps (good quality audio)

OK out of those screens

Ready to roll!

File>Save Video...

On the Save Video screen:

Set the Save As Type to MP4 Faststart (I think this means the file will quick-start playback when it is being streamed eg on Whatsapp). This "type' is hte container we talk about. AVI, MOV, VOB, MKV, MP4 are all containers.

Insert an appropriate file name

Note: at the bottom are the details of the video and audio codecs. I often forget the audio and it will be on PCM and then I'll get a message when I try to save that "you can't do that!" (that is, PCM audio in MP4 container). Then I go to Audio and set it as above.

Hit Save you will soon have a H264-codec MP4. Stick them on a USB and play on your TV, or through your local network.

I'm no expert with this, so there will probably be others who correct me on these settings.

Handbrake is also fairly easy to use, but Vdub has good, easy-to-use filters such as Colour Mill, which is terrific for colour and Brightness/Contrast correction. There are also filters for De-interlacing (not quite as good as AVISynth but much easier).

As I mentioned earlier, the elephant in the room is headswitching noise and the ragged side edges. I don't understand how to get rid of those using VDub or Handbrake.

Give all that a shot. If nothing else, it'll improve your understanding of it all, even if you do end up using something else.
12-02-2022, 12:21 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Cortez, your English is great! Certainly a whole lot better than my... I'm sorry about my earlier exclamation :You're speaking my language!". It probably sounded offensive but was meant as a compliment and that we were "on the same page/thinking alike".
No, no offense at all. Actually i took it as a compliment, so thank you . I try to do everything so, you experts suggest it to me. I believe everything you all saying because i have no reason to doubt it. I paid in advance for Lordsmurf to send me a TBC-1000 from the far side of the Earth and he managed it perfectly (shipping, padding, etc.). Unfortunately he is not so responsive recently but i know that he is always busy. I hope i didn't offend him or anyone else on the forum.

Quote:
The simplest way is to use Virtual Dub 2 from here:

https://www.videohelp.com/software/VirtualDub2

I know it seems silly to have two VDubs, but they don't "install" as such, so they don't mess up your system. VDub 2 is not the best for capturing, according to The Lord, but it is more modern than VDub 1.9.11, can open all sorts of files, and has the x264 encoder built-in. I did have trouble with the external x264 encoder in 1.9.11 so now I just use VDub 2's internal encoder.
VDub2 works on XP? I found some information (forum thread + tutorial video) about installing x264 codec (x264vfw) to VirtualDub but i don't know that codec is suggested or not. Better works with VDub2.

Thank you for the detailed tutorial how to encode my video to delivery format. I have to try it soon.
12-02-2022, 01:21 PM
Free Member

Quote:
VDub2 works on XP?
I downloaded the latest VirtualDub2 from that link and tha answer is yes. The same build has an x86 and x64 exe file.

I followed your instructions and here is compressed file: compressed_test_sample.mp4

Hurray . Thank you for your help.

Now the question is the quality again. In the first phase after the lossless capturing it is called "correction"? Here i have also a head switching noise. I reduced it to this size by misaligned the roller in the VCR that is forbidden, otherwise it would fill the bottom quarter image. For encoding it's just adjusting sliders from bad to good quality?