Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-14-2023, 11:30 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,460 Times in 2,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Clayton View Post
can you detail the names of the equipment you know is best?
With an ATI AIW, TBC-3000, and JVC/Panasonic S-VHS VCR with line/field TBC, this would be relatively easy(ish) to do this tape. But that's the $4k+ setup.

The $500 range setup entails
- non-TBC JVC S-VHS VCR
- ES10/15 type as TBC(ish)
- certain quality ATI/Pinnacle USB capture card

^ Note that condition matters, and you cannot trust eBay sellers whatsoever (tested/working = BS 99%+ of the time)

The problem with that budget setup, here, for this tape, is the ES10/15 has some AGC and luma effects, which can harm birghtness further from the tape (though probably somewhat better tha what you have now).

I think a main contributor here is your VCR, standard value pumping from consumer VHS VCR units. So the S-VHS VCR should help.

And better capture card that doesn't further ruin the signal and image quality. It'll be better than the ClearClick junkf or sure. But values can be tricky with USB cards, even the better ones. It's so easy to tip from simply "bright" to fully washed out and overexposed.

All of your other tapes, however, would greatly benefit from the upgraded setup

Quote:
However, based on your input, there may be no hope for this particular recording. Minimum improvement if any.
It's not hopeless at all. But it does require more/better hardware, or budget, or both.

I have to say, for $200, those ClearClick devices are ridiculously expensive. It performs no better than the Chinese USB cards that literally cost about $1 to make. Even lousy Dazzle cards are upgrades.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: S_Clayton (05-14-2023)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-21-2023, 12:04 PM
Free Member

I have a Dazzle laying my office that I was going to return because it would not work on my brand new Dell computer with intel iris graphic (Im sure that is not up to your standards but just wanted to let you know the computer I have )
Plus it sent a DVD to upload the set up and my laptop does not have DVD player.

-- merged --

Lordsmurf,
I know it would be best to purchase a better capture device but I have to work with the tools I have at this time. I was able to get the Dazzle to work on my computer and recaptured the video. Attached. However I used OBS to process. The video looks better than before but Im sure using a different program than OBS would help even more. Your advice has been greatly appreciate as would any advice you could give for my next step to make this video enhanced to the point that viewers can watch. Once I recaptured the video and was able to watch it I discovered something special. At one point., the camera man turned around and films the people on the bleachers cheering for the kids on the field. Several of these parents and grandparents have since passed away and I know it would be a wonderful thing for their kids to see this video. That is why your guidance means so much to me.

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 2023-05-21 12-55-20 - Trim.mp4 (2.23 MB, 4 downloads)
05-21-2023, 01:36 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Clayton View Post
I know it would be best to purchase a better capture device but I have to work with the tools I have at this time.
Given what I see here, you would be far better off just waiting until better gear can be afforded. In 2023, $500 is not a lot of money, it can be saved. It's not 1923, where $500 may as well be $1M.

That said, if you have the time (though remember, time = money), then you can bargain hunt. That won't be something you'll accomplish in an hour or day, or even week or month. But maybe you find the ES10/15 for $50, or the ATI 600 USB (complete!) for $40, a good JVC S-VHS for $100. Mispricing happens, and you need to be ready for it. Also noting that eBay is risky, the listing may be BS compared to what arrived ("tested" and "working" that isn't working). I refer to offline venues here: thrift stores, garage sales, auctions, etc. Not online. But I generally suggest the time wasted trying to save a few dollars can be spent earning far more dollars.

Since this is for the benefit of others, I think others need to contribute to it. Sometimes free only gets you crap, and even a few dollars can be a night-and-day difference.

Unfortunately, you have risks here, with either option.
- Ruin the tape = use existing gear
- Tape degrades (oxide shed, mold, etc) = wait too long

Quote:
I was able to get the Dazzle to work on my computer and recaptured the video. Attached. However I used OBS to process. The video looks better
To most people, the quality here is completely unacceptable here. It's a muddy video that has more noise than picture.
- OBS is completely obliterating detail, adding excessive artifacts.
- The Dazzle card is mostly screwing up the values (luma, chroma .. aka brightness, contrast, color).

Quote:
Your advice has been greatly appreciate as would any advice you could give for my next step to make this video enhanced to the point that viewers can watch.
garbage in = garbage out
There is literally no room for enhancement here. OBS and the capture hardware has so vastly degraded it, that all you can do is exchange errors with no real improvements.

Quote:
Once I recaptured the video and was able to watch it I discovered something special. At one point., the camera man turned around and films the people on the bleachers cheering for the kids on the field. Several of these parents and grandparents have since passed away and I know it would be a wonderful thing for their kids to see this video. That is why your guidance means so much to me.
That is very neat. But you have no idea how much better it could be. I can see it, and I wish you cold as well. We're not talking little % gains here either, but a vast improvement on all metrics.

05-21-2023, 07:09 PM
Free Member

Once I purchase the equipment, what program is needed for editing?
05-21-2023, 07:18 PM
Site Staff | Video

Just to confirm, define what you mean by editing.

I must ask because some new users have the wrong understanding of the processes.

05-21-2023, 09:02 PM
Free Member

ES10/15 for $50, or the ATI 600 USB is to capture?
JVC S-VHS - VCR,

What program is on your computer to convert the video to digital and edit if needed.
05-21-2023, 09:05 PM
Site Staff | Video

ES10/15 acts as minimal TBC(ish), passthrough only, do not use for recording, noisy MPEG.

- capture in VirtualDub
- editing depends on exact needs