Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-12-2023, 06:28 PM
Free Member

Hi guys, I have been using Avisynth for over 15 years.

But until today I could not create a script that works well with black horizontal lines because they are of different sizes.

Almost all the VHS tapes I have are very oxidized because where I live the normal humidity is almost 90% and it is also very hot.

In this case, do you know any program or Avisynth script that can find these horizontal lines automatically in the video so that I can do a faster and more optimized manual editing?

Thank you very much in advance
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-13-2023, 01:12 AM
Free Member

It might help clarify the problems to upload some examples of the black horizontal lines.

A warm, humid climate might lead to mould on tapes but I doubt it will lead to oxidising as the ferric oxide magnetic coatings on most VHS tapes are already oxide and can withstand immersion in water if treated properly and promptly.

http://www.specsbros.com/disaster-re...-exposure.html
07-13-2023, 06:46 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtape View Post
It might help clarify the problems to upload some examples of the black horizontal lines.

A warm, humid climate might lead to mould on tapes but I doubt it will lead to oxidising as the ferric oxide magnetic coatings on most VHS tapes are already oxide and can withstand immersion in water if treated properly and promptly.

http://www.specsbros.com/disaster-re...-exposure.html

Video Sample:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YI1...ew?usp=sharing

Thank you in advance!
07-13-2023, 08:31 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the sample. The tape and recording seems fine.

The noise at the bottom of the picture looks like a slight exit guide tracking misalignment. There is no front panel control on the VCR for this. It needs to be adjusted inside the VCR by someone with the necessary skill and expertise.

The occasional dark line across the picture is probably a little momentary dirt on the tape which was beyond the ability of the VCR's dropout compensator to correct. I suspect the only way to fix this is an expert cleaning of the tape.

Basically for an optimal picture result the tape probably needs to be expertly cleaned and the exit guide adjusted to the recording on the tape. This at least is how the pro's do it.

A pity about the sound. The presentation is essentially the woman's voice but unfortunately the camera mic was way too distant from her, making the voice hard to understand. This is a common audio recording mistake.
09-21-2023, 09:51 PM
Free Member

There are some pretty magic tools now, that help with voice tracks like this. Davinci Resolve has one in the paid version. There are also some new AI tools that I've used that are incredible. The one I used was called ultimate vocal remover - coming from a sound engineering background, it defy's the laws of physics and nearly brings back the master track without having it, which is pretty cool. So those are two areas you can look into. It's slower on CPU of course, but if you have a supported GPU it's pretty quick.

Here's a demo of the Davinci Resolve one on youtube. Not sure how well it will do with echoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7-OtG2lAE&t=39s