Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-20-2024, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

Hi all,

I'm at a complete loss right now as to why I can't save via direct stream copy a HuffyUV captured video from VirtualDub. The video was captured using HuffyUV CCESP Patch 0.2.2. I have that codec installed on my machine (when I am in full processing mode I can select it, it's the exact same one I used to capture). However, no matter what the output file when I click "Save as AVI" is always uncompressed and huge, even when using direct stream copy. I've tried running as an administrator and I believe the codec is properly installed. I even tried duplicating the result on the same exact machine I used to capture, and I got the same issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have no clue where to go from here!

Thank you!

Still learning how to capture and restore properly, thank you for your patience!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-20-2024, 11:14 AM
Free Member

Could you post the output of MediaInfo on the capture file?
02-20-2024, 12:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traal View Post
Could you post the output of MediaInfo on the capture file?
Hey traal,

Thanks for the reply. The output of MediaInfo is attached. I don't see anything that looks out of the ordinary! Let me know what you think, thanks again!

Attached Files
File Type: txt Wedding Info.txt (2.2 KB, 9 downloads)

Still learning how to capture and restore properly, thank you for your patience!
02-20-2024, 01:26 PM
Free Member

Everything looks good, you have the right codec and the right resolution and framerate.

Your 1h39m file is 35.8 GiB which is pretty good for HuffYUV. At that rate, you can fit 343 hours (boxes and boxes of videotapes) onto an 8 TB HDD.

Once you've restored and compressed the video, the file size will be much smaller. But you should also archive the original capture file, as-is, for preservation.
02-20-2024, 01:30 PM
Free Member

Obvious one: Are you sure you have selected the Direct Stream Copy mode ?
02-21-2024, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Everything looks good, you have the right codec and the right resolution and framerate.

Your 1h39m file is 35.8 GiB which is pretty good for HuffYUV. At that rate, you can fit 343 hours (boxes and boxes of videotapes) onto an 8 TB HDD.

Once you've restored and compressed the video, the file size will be much smaller. But you should also archive the original capture file, as-is, for preservation.
Hi traal,

Yes, I'm pretty happy with this file. The issue is, when I go to trim this file and then I direct stream copy in VirtualDub, I get a huge file size. It's not smaller, and I don't know why. Do you know why this could be happening? Thanks for the help!

02-21-2024, 04:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
Obvious one: Are you sure you have selected the Direct Stream Copy mode ?
Hi themaster1,

Yes, I have selected that mode. I've triple checked because I don't know why I can't direct stream copy without the filesize being huge! Any idea why this is occurring? Thanks for the reply!

02-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Free Member

VirtualDub has two independent places to set the codec:

1. For capture, go to File > Capture AVI... > Video > Compression...
2. For saving as AVI outside of capture, go to Video > Compression...

The two can be set differently from each other.
02-21-2024, 05:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
VirtualDub has two independent places to set the codec:

1. For capture, go to File > Capture AVI... > Video > Compression...
2. For saving as AVI outside of capture, go to Video > Compression...

The two can be set differently from each other.
Yes, I'm aware. I have also tried to export in full processing mode to no avail, with the AVI video compression output set to HuffyUV. Even though I do that, it still is a huge, uncompressed file.

02-21-2024, 05:22 PM
Free Member

Could you post the MediaInfo of the output file?
02-21-2024, 05:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I unfortunately ran out of disk space as it was making a ~170GB file...

I will replicate the results on a new capture. I will capture two minutes of footage using HuffyUV, try to trim that capture file and then direct stream copy in VirtualDub. I will post the MediaInfo of the original and output files here when I complete this task! Thank you!

02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Hi traal,

Here is the MediaInfo of the output file. I ended up direct stream copying the exact same file I posted the info for earlier. For some reason the direct stream copy is not working (I have quadruple-checked I have it selected) and instead it seems to direct stream copy to YUY2 and not HFUV. Any idea why this is happening? Thanks again for all the help, I'm at a loss!

Attached Files
File Type: txt Direct.txt (2.3 KB, 3 downloads)

02-22-2024, 12:27 PM
Free Member

So whether in full processing mode or direct stream transfer, it always comes out YUY2?

I can't reproduce the problem, but I'm running VirtualDub v1.10.4 and you're running an earlier version, maybe v1.9.11 that's available here on DigitalFaq.

Do you have any filters active, or are you just removing entire segments of the video? (By the way, AviDemux is good for that also.)

And this happens on the same machine that you capture on, right? I'm trying to rule out HuffYUV not being installed properly.

You're running VirtualDub 32-bits only, and HuffYUV 32-bits only, right? I wonder if VirtualDub is trying to encode using the wrong HuffYUV and it fails and falls back to YUY2.

Sorry, I'm out of ideas, so this is all just brainstorming.