09-28-2009, 02:26 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyfan
Would you know based on experience if an Elite BVP-4 Plus would help to alleviate "tearing" in VHS? (I am referring to when a VHS image "twists" at a moving 45 degree angle...)
Thanks! Hope to hear from you soon!

PS - I've already got a HR-9911U VCR, a DR-M10 recorder and a Sima SCC-2 device I use to get true greyscale...thanks!
An Elite BVP4+ is a proc amp.

Proc amps adjust color and contrast (IRE, chroma, luma, hue, saturation, etc)
The Sima SCC-2 has some very basic proc amp controls. A casual hobby device, found in Best Buy or Radio Shack.
The Elite BVP4+ is a professional broadcast-grade piece of gear.

Proc amps cannot fix tearing, no.

To fix tearing, you first need a good VCR. Now, then JVC 9911 is a great VCR, and the line TBC inside it can fix tearing in many cases. In those times where the JVC fails, you may need to try a Panasonic AG-1980P or 1970P. It's not a "better" VCR by any means, but it does process differently.

Another option can be devices with strong frame synchronizers. Some DVD recorders do this well, others do not. A well-know DVD recorder that does this is the Panasonic ES series, especially the ES10.

You don't use these as DVD recorders, you don't record on them -- most of them are pretty terrible recording quality. What you do is input the VCR signal into the device, and then take that output and plug it into your next device.

For example:
JVC VCR >
Panasonic ES10 >
standalone TBC like AVT-8710 or TBC-1000 >
proc amp >
digital video recording device (DVD recorder, capture card)

The frame synching DVD recorder is used as a "passthrough" device. The signal just passed through -- being corrected in the process -- and then output to better recording equipment.

The JVC D-VHS 40000 deck is also good at this task. Not the 30000, according reports from educated/experienced peers, just the 40000. The units were expensive and the 40000 was somewhat rare, so I've never had the privilege to use it. I have the ES10 anyway.

I've seen reports of other DVD recorders fixing this kind of problem, but they always fail my tests -- I honestly think those people didn't know what they were talking about. The ES10 does not fail my tests, it was a strong filter, able to fix some of the worst tearing, including multi-generational tapes! Copies of copies** can still be fixed!!

** NOTE: The errors were not in the image, just really unstable signals, on the multi-gen tapes. Once that error is recorded into the video itself, it can't be removed. But it's almost impossible to tell if the tearing is part of the image, or part of the signal -- I usually can't tell. One good test is to play the tape FF ina VCR. If the signal looks stable while FF, it's probably signal related. If the error is still there, it's often part of the visual signal, though not always. Good quick and dirty test.

If you need a proc amp, the BVP4+ would be an upgrade over the weaker Sima device. You can also chain proc amps for more severe errors.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Free Member

WELL aware that the SCC-2 is consumer equipment. My sole purpose in buying it about 4-5 years ago was because of its ability to defeat macrovision.
For the aforementioned problem cassette, the AG-1980P + my DMR-ES10 corrected most of the errors.
But, I see that the 1980 needs service. I am getting short, thin, white horizontal "speckled" blinking NEW lines in WITH the corrected image.
Is there a domestic (to US) repair shop that you folks like? I've already received one repair quote of $2,249.00 (NOT a typo).
When donkeys FLY...
10-01-2009, 05:30 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Contact Jots Electronics in the Dallas / Ft Worth area (Texas).
http://www.jotselectronics.com

I've dealt with them for almost the entire 20 years they've been in business. Excellent VCR work, and even their Nintendo work isn't too shabby. Prices very reasonable.

A repair quote of $2,249 was more than the machines MSRP. How ridiculous. When pig's fly, indeed!!!

Honestly, your issue sounds like nothing more than dirty heads. It needs a proper cleaning. Not a "cleaning tape", but a quality job with correct chemicals and swabs. It's a DIY job, if you can local non-cotton swabs and some denatured alcohol.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!