Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-01-2009, 06:02 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

continued from PM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar
Hey man,
I have a q about SoundForge. After I pick a filter to use, and it goes thru the blue bar and then when that is done, if I want to try another filter to try and improve the first filter that I just used, do I just hit eq, paragraphic again and try out other filters?
I just tried that and it brought the box up, and the first filter that I used for this file is still selected in the drop down box....
Is all of that right?

Or.....do I do one filter...save it....then open it and do another filter?

Yes, just repeat it. Do it again as many times as needed. Not all filters have the same goals.

For example,
If you need more de-hiss, try a stronger one.
If you need both de-hiss and high restore ("un-mono"), run one after the other.

Audio restoration is applied science... there is no step-by-step "how to" guide on it. You have to learn the concepts, and then apply them to each unique situation -- and EVERY situation is "unique" in its own way.

And again, please ask technical questions in the forum. Not private messages.

Hope that helps you understand it better.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Free Member

What filter would you suggest that I usually start off with? The Fletcher-Munson based ones? If so, what one should I use for the next filter? I know it's mostly based off how the video sounds, but so many of these filters sound almost the same on the audio, it's very hard to pick one..
I'm to where I can handle 1 or more filters I'm pretty confident, and I'd maybe like to try to do it in some more advanced details...what would I do next?
11-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

I usually start with Hiss Cut 0, and work upwards from there. If Hiss Cuts 2-6 mute the higher tones too much, I consider alternate hiss cut filters based of the Flescher-Munson settings. After hiss cut is done, I see if high restores are needed, and if they are able to restore or simple re-add the hiss noise.

There really are no instructions here, it's all about testing filters, hearing how they correct the audio, and remembering it. The apply them to projects.

After that's done, you can normalize if needed. And again, listen to it, to see if any noise was re-added, and whether you have to redo more anti-noise filters (apply EQ presets).

And in some cases, SoundForge EQ can only do so much, this is why I have a whole arsenal of software, including Goldwave, Audacity and DiamondCut.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!