Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Free Member

Not tech savy here, but I'm a fast learner. Making this as short as possible. I need to know what equipment I'll need to preserve my VHS to dvd. I've read over a few things, but they seem older threads and I need to know what's available now in 2011. Any help is appreciated. And once I get the equipment, how do I use it? I'll probably print out the responses so I will be able to do this right. Chemo brain sometimes acts up.

I've tried Panasonic DMR series, but I know I can improve the quality. Again, I may not be up to speed on the lingo but with a little help, I know I can do this. And with recent medical issues, I feel I need to figure out how to do it now.

Here's what I've read, again from an older thread. I can't seem to find this equipment though and no clue how it even works (what hooks up to what, and how, and what knob to turn which way or when). lordsmurf seems to be an expert, if not "the" expert, so looking forward to hearing from you on this. In fact, I think the following was lordsmurf's post some time back...

Quote:
(1) Proc amp: Adjusts color, contrast, IRE, tints, brighness, gamma.
Example: Elite Video BVP-4 Plus, SignVideo PA-100, Vidicraft Proc Amp
Price: $50 used to $700 new

(2) Detailer: Increases the detail and clarity of an image. Makes VHS tapes (all tapes are blurry to a degree) look as good as satellite digital quality.
Example: SignVideo DR-1000, Vidicraft Detailer II, III, IV
Price: $50 used to $300 new

(3) Standalone timebase corrector (TBC): Stabilize the signal, remove any true or false anti-copy
Example: DataVideo TBC-1000, AVT-8710
Price: $200-300 new

(4) JVC S-VHS VCR (with DNR/TBC): These units have several filters, including a DNR-based TBC, and is intended to clean up a VHS tape, or S-VHS tape, creating a very clean image.
Example: JVC HR-S7800, 7900, 7600, 9600, 9800, 9900, 7965EK, 8965EK, SR-V10U
Price: $150 used to $500 new

(5) Sync filters: These will correct flagging and intra-image errors, where part of the image jerks to-and-fro, or wiggles when it should not.
Example: Built into the Panasonic ES10 DVD recorder (NOT used for recording, just filters!), pass signal through this recorder, and on to a better recorder.
Price: $175-200 new

Use s-video cables whenever possible. Especially when you start to use proc amps and detailers and S-VHS equipment. Try to use composite as little as possible.
Thanks in advance...
Angela
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Also pasting in the full PM version of this:
Quote:
I'm sure hoping you can help. I found a response to a thread online that you'd posted, and it was about the very thing I'm trying to do, so I googled your screen name which led me here. VHS tapes to dvd... trying to wade through all the technical advice everywhere regarding the easiest way to transfer these without losing clarity. I'm using a Panasonic DMR-ez48 recorder that plays VHS and records to DVD. I'm not getting the quality I want. They look pixelated (sp?) and a bit more fuzzy than the VHS tape. What am I doing wrong? Please, if you could explain to me the best way to reduce the noise, lines, fuzziness, etc. I'd be very grateful. Thank you so much..
Will reply to phrases below...

Quote:
but they seem older threads and I need to know what's available now in 2011
Actually, in the world of video, not much changes. The common (false) belief is that "things change all the time", as it relates to technology. But that's mostly isolated to a few area: CPU speeds, RAM and hard drive size, etc. The underlying methodology rarely changes much, even within a decade. And quite a few pieces of hardware and software turn into "legacy" tools, because while they're "outdated" in comparison to the CPU/RAM/HDD, they're not outdated in the quality and tasks they perform.

Most of the very best video analog-to-digital hardware existed from about 2001 to 2006. Since 2006, quite a few items have left production, and what is made new now is shifted towards low quality consumer needs (TiVo-like recording) or higher-end studio/broadcast production work. So you'll generally find yourself buying a lot of used/pre-owned "old" gear to get a good job done.

Quote:
I've tried Panasonic DMR series, but I know I can improve the quality.
Yes, you most certainly can. The recording quality of almost every single Panasonic DVD recorder ever made has been lousy. The encoding chipset, as designed and manufactured by Panasonic itself, is unacceptably terrible compared to other DVD recorders and even quite a bit of software (including freeware!)

The Panasonic encoder tends to have on one more of these fatal flaws:
- bitrate spikes that exceed DVD-Video specifications
- using inadquate bitrates at high resolutions (i.e., the 4-hour mode @ 720x480/576 resolution)
- blocky quality Half D1 352x480 encoding
- altered luminance, green shifted video
- altered IRE, which results in lost detail due to either overly bright highlights or overly dark darks
- posterization, or color palette compression errors

Quote:
What am I doing wrong?
It's simply a matter of quality hardware vs consumer junky hardware that is causing the issues.

For your specific situation, I'd suggest this:
- JVC HR-S7600+ series, JVC HR-S9600+ series, or JVC SR-V10U S-VHS VCR
- AVT-8710 TBC or Data-Video TBC-1000 from B&H. Read the TBC FAQ: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html
- JVC DR-M10 or DR-M100 DVD recorder (or comparable MV/SR series machine that has LSI chipset)

You'll notice many threads on this site have recommended this gear since about 2004. The suggestion is as valid now as it was then. Newer hardware is not better, just newer. These are the tools you want to accomplish the task at hand.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-23-2011, 12:01 AM
Free Member

Thank you for your reply!

I am looking for the items needed, but I know it may take some time to find them at a price I can afford. I have been copying each tape with the Panasonic.. the quality of the DVD appears identical to the VHS.. which isn't good.

Until I get the items needed, what can I do to ensure my VHS tapes stay ok? I have them in a safe.. temp controlled and humidity controlled. This is the first time I've viewed them in literally years, and they seem to be in the same condition as I remember.

When I get the items needed, I will almost certainly be back to ask questions. Forgive me if some questions may seem silly. I think I have some chemo fog and it's highly frustrating. I know there are no stupid questions, but this "fog" is sometimes beyond ridiculous.

Now, to get me started on my task. When I get the things I need, I'm assuming I hook them up in the following order. The s-vhs to the tbc to the JVC recorder? Which one do I hook up to my tv, or do I hook it to my computer? And what kind of cables do I need to get?

One more thing. When one of these pieces of hardware fails, who would I take it to that could fix it the right way?

Again thank you so much. I will be back....
06-23-2011, 12:58 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
The s-vhs to the tbc to the JVC recorder?
Yes.

Quote:
Which one do I hook up to my tv, or do I hook it to my computer?
TV

Quote:
And what kind of cables do I need to get?
S-video is suggested, though composite works.

Quote:
When I get the items needed, I will almost certainly be back to ask questions.
We'll be here.

Quote:
Forgive me if some questions may seem silly.
Nothing seems silly so far.

Quote:
the quality of the DVD appears identical to the VHS.. which isn't good
Absolutely correct -- a DVD that looks like the source VHS isn't good. VHS format has a lot of noise, between grain and chroma problems, and can easily look better for a DVD version if run through the right hardware. It's not even terribly hard or overly expensive to do a good job. (Well, it could cost up to $1k, though as little as $400, for the various hardware -- still cheap in the realm of video!)

Quote:
One more thing. When one of these pieces of hardware fails, who would I take it to that could fix it the right way?
JVC gears goes to JVC certified repair center. TBC goes back to AVToolbox. TBC unlikely to break. JVC DVD recorder may overheat and damage itself, but there are easy home fixes for it. (Well, easy if you have some electronics experiences -- or know somebody that does.) Cleaning a VCR is not suggested unless you're experienced -- easy to screw those up permanently.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
06-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Free Member

Ok, I think I've found one of the items I need. It's a JVC SR-V10U, which I assume from what I've read has the LSI chipset but I don't know if it has the dynamic drum?

And what's this I've read about JVC eating Maxell tapes? Mine are not s-vhs, to my knowledge they're just your basic vhs tapes and I'm almost certain some are Maxell. Is this going to be a problem?

Last edited by cc4npg; 06-23-2011 at 11:03 PM.
06-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc4npg View Post
Ok, I think I've found one of the items I need. It's a JVC SR-V10U, which I assume from what I've read has the LSI chipset but I don't know if it has the dynamic drum?
It doesn't have the LSI chipset (that only applies to the DVD recorders), it DOES have the Digipure line TBC that is highly recommended. Dynamic Drum was only on a select few JVC SVHS machines (7600U, 9600U 9800U, and 9900U), it really isn't as important for playback, unlike Digipure. JVC didn't even bother to include it in their final SVHS deck (the HR-S9911U) or in their DVHS decks.
06-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Free Member

There must be controversy over whether the SR-V10U has the LSI or not. I've read many articles implying it does have this, saying it's the same basic machine as the 7600U. I'm a newbie so I'm probably missing something, but I want to make sure I get the best machine for what I need. Most of my VHS tapes are playing back in my Panasonic DMR series (on a high def tv) with obvious loss of clarity. Faces that are distant at all are sometimes so pixilated they're hard to make out. On the regular old tv's, the tapes look fine and clear. Anyway, back to the LSI... I've read so many posts on these machines, many from lordsmurf who I know has a setup using this model. I have to rely on you pro's for info and help. If this model is good, I may get more than one just so I have a backup.
06-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Free Member

Ok, so I'm getting the SR-V10U as my source player to transfer these. Still have a question about it eating certain types of vhs tapes. Mine are not super vhs, just regular. Is there anything I need to be aware of?

I have found a JVC DR-MV5S. From researching, it appears the vcr is crap. But how does the dvd recorder compare to the M10 or M100? I definitely want to have the best chances of getting an excellent dvd, so give it to me straight. Should I continue my search for the M100 or get the DR-MV5S?
06-26-2011, 02:23 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

SR-V10U is an S-VHS VCR. It does not have chipsets.
DR-M10 is a DVD recorder, and has the LSI Logic Domino 86xx chipset.
Not the same thing.

SR-V10U is an excellent NTSC VCR. The PAL equivalent is the SR-V10E (formerly sold in Europe and Australia).

Don't worry about the "Super" aspect. You want a good VCR, and the only good VCRs were made for Super VHS. However, they played regular VHS.

JVC DR-MV5S is an LSI Logic based DVD recorder, in a combo deck. The VCR is worthless. The DVD recorder half is excellent. It's essentially a JVC DR-M10 or DR-M100 (I forget which) inside of the MV5S. You DVD recorder isn't even in the same league. Your VCR is playing AA minor league ball, while the JVC recorder is on the All-Star team in the MLB.

Given the difficulty acquiring these DVD recorders in good condition, get what you can get. If you specifically limit yourself to the DR-M100, you could be looking for 6 months or more. I buy, sell and trade gear (often for our own project needs, temp or permanent, as well as backup gear), and have not seen a DR-M100 in months. I do know somebody with a DR-MV1S in need of capacitor replacement, but may claim it for myself -- probably repair it, then resell for fair value ($100+). He had a mini-studio for a few years, but retired from the line of work to focus on other entertainment venues. Ideally, you want a unit that was in a known non-smoking non-player environment. In other words, a DVD recorder that was only used for recording, not something that was abused in somebody's living room.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.