Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-21-2011, 02:23 AM
Free Member

Is the Elite Video BVP-4 Plus an NTSC-only tool?
If so, is there a PAL version of it, or a direct corrispective?
I think I should try a proc-amp, and from what I've read here and there, it seems that the Elite Video BVP-4 Plus is one of the best (a Lorsmurf's favourite, and that is enough for me to know), but it seems that it's just for ntsc.
I live in Italy, so I would need to know what I should look for here!
Thanks!

P.S. sorry for bumping an old thread....hope not to have done a bad thing....pretty new here!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-21-2011, 07:21 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
The Elite BVP-4 Plus comes as a NTSC only box. The neon colored sticker inside the unit shows the format it was designed for. I believe my current models all have bright orange stickers and typed "NTSC" printed on them.

There are also PAL only boxes. I've yet to see one of these, but claims have been made to their existence from reliable people online. And then I believe Elite themselves have stated this. I'm not sure if these were "Plus" models, or simply BVP-4 units. I'm thinking it was non-Plus units, to be honest.

And then I've used NTSC only boxes that, regardless of the sticker, would still process PAL.

An alternative to the Elite Video BVP-4 / BVP-4 Plus is the SignVideo PA-100. Some people prefer that one anyway, because of the meter. However, it does have a few less controls. Then again, the fans of the PA-100 argue those are not really required controls anyway (though sure, it would have been nice to have them on the PA-100). I don't recall off-hand if these can do PAL or not -- but the company is still in business, so feel free to call/write and ask them. And if you do, post the answer here!

_______

Generally speaking, it's best to not bump old threads, but this seems like an okay addition of information for this thread. The rules of bumping are less rigid for the forum stickies (FAQs, as we've renamed them). Site Staff can always move posts into new threads, if needed.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-31-2011, 01:24 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
There are also PAL only boxes. I've yet to see one of these, but claims have been made to their existence from reliable people online. And then I believe Elite themselves have stated this. I'm not sure if these were "Plus" models, or simply BVP-4 units. I'm thinking it was non-Plus units, to be honest.

And then I've used NTSC only boxes that, regardless of the sticker, would still process PAL.

An alternative to the Elite Video BVP-4 / BVP-4 Plus is the SignVideo PA-100. I don't recall off-hand if these can do PAL or not -- but the company is still in business, so feel free to call/write and ask them. And if you do, post the answer here!
So, I contacted Elite for the BVP-4+, and they told me they don't make PAL-supporting units.
I tried contacting SignVideo too, but still have to get an answer from them...
Anyway, I read somwhere in this forum that the SignVideo proc amp it's the evolution of the old Vidicraft proc amp, so since the Vidicraft supports PAL, SignVideo should too...
Is the absence of the S-video in/out in the Vidicraft a great handicap? ...i mean, is the difference in quality somehow big? or are we talking about "quality-freaks" nuances?
08-31-2011, 01:58 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaccastracca View Post
it's the evolution of the old Vidicraft proc amp, so since the Vidicraft supports PAL, SignVideo should too...
Not necessarily. Man is evolved from primates, but I can't peel bananas with my feet.

Don't assume. Verify.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
08-31-2011, 02:31 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Not necessarily. Man is evolved from primates, but I can't peel bananas with my feet.

Don't assume. Verify.
....so, i guess the only thing I can assume is that, in order to verify, I have to try buy one of those HOPING it works for PAL!
08-31-2011, 02:40 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Or ask SignVideo for the specs on their current models, and then await their response. I've read confirmations both ways in past years, lending to the idea that models may have varied over the past decade and a half. Simply given that time frame, it's very possible that's the case.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
02-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
The Elite BVP-4 Plus comes as a NTSC only box. The neon colored sticker inside the unit shows the format it was designed for. I believe my current models all have bright orange stickers and typed "NTSC" printed on them. There are also PAL only boxes. I've yet to see one of these, but claims have been made to their existence from reliable people online. And then I believe Elite themselves have stated this. I'm not sure if these were "Plus" models, or simply BVP-4 units. I'm thinking it was non-Plus units, to be honest. And then I've used NTSC only boxes that, regardless of the sticker, would still process PAL.

An alternative to the Elite Video BVP-4 / BVP-4 Plus is the SignVideo PA-100. Some people prefer that one anyway, because of the meter. However, it does have a few less controls. Then again, the fans of the PA-100 argue those are not really required controls anyway (though sure, it would have been nice to have them on the PA-100). I don't recall off-hand if these can do PAL or not -- but the company is still in business, so feel free to call/write and ask them. And if you do, post the answer here!

Generally speaking, it's best to not bump old threads, but this seems like an okay addition of information for this thread. The rules of bumping are less rigid for the forum stickies (FAQs, as we've renamed them). Site Staff can always move posts into new threads, if needed.
I know it's a old thread....

Intuitively I have to agree with Lordsmurf because he did many testing, not just theorical assumption.

Reading the BVP-4 + user manual (on this site), nothing is mention about NTSC or PAL.
Reading SignVideo manual, at the very end it's mentionned in the miscellaneous section
"Color System NTSC, 3.58 MHz" So it may be optimized for this color system, but don't mean that it will not work with PAL.

02-01-2012, 07:01 AM
Site Staff | Video

This is one of those things that has always bothered me. I know I used my NTSC unit with PAL once, as you read in the 2007 VH post (which was actually a report from a few years earlier). But later tests always resulted in static. Someday, I will test it again!! I'd like to re-create the original workflows. But I've done so many video things in the past two decades, that I just can't remember them all anymore.

In the meantime, it's safe to assume NTSC only.
The reason is this: I don't want to be responsible for you buying something that does not work.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Mejnour (02-01-2012)
10-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Free Member

I was wonder would I be better off getting a TBC or Elite Video BVP-4 Plus? I have some old VHS that are about 25 years plus I am converting and some are in good shape but others I am getting issue such as color and fuzzy screen on some and a few have a vertical bounce to it.

I have a JVC 9911U VCR
and using s-video connection.

I have read the guides and what not but I am curious on your opinions?
02-08-2018, 09:21 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcherrier View Post
I was wonder would I be better off getting a TBC or Elite Video BVP-4 Plus?
There are also TBCs with embedded proc amps, like the TBC-3000 and TBC-4000.

Any good workflow is really needed for VHS transfers.
The basics are:
S-VHS VCR with line TBC > external framesync TBC > quality capture card

Adding proc amp is optional, though useful. Either add it after external TBC, or it's embedded with one.

05-18-2021, 06:42 PM
Free Member

I know this is an old thread, but I just used my BVP-4 plus on a PAL vcr. My Kona card is registering the input as PAL, so no conversion done. As far as I know the BVP-4 plus is the regular NTSC version.

Just wanted to help close the loop on this.

It works.