Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Free Member

The temporal smoother in this filter seems to be pretty effective. For those who have used it, I set it for dark pixels = 11 bright pixels= 15. I noticed a little ghosting though. Do these settings generally cause this? Is anyone familiar with this filter?

Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Over-aggressive settings on a temporal filter will always cause ghosting.
I prefer Temporal Cleaner and Temporal Smoother. NRS can crash on certain CPU/computer configurations.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Free Member

Aside from the crashing (which doesn't occur with my system), does NRS suite work well in conjunction with Virtualdub's Temporal Smoother at, say a 3 setting (for the Temporal Smoother)? This is for typical, VHS grain source. Now I know my question is blatantly vague, as I am not providing you with the video clip for reference. It goes back to your school bus, racecar, truck example. All depends on the situation, and I totally understand that.

So in essence, my true question is: Do the two working together GENERALLY form a recipe for a video disaster? This is taking into account the fact that I'm talking about combining the NR Temporal Smoother, with either Neat Video or Virtualdub's Temporal Smoother.

Or better still, Mr. Smurf have YOU used them (together at reasonable settings) in the past for some VHS noise? I have. And it looks pretty good. But my goal is a professional output and I want to know if there's something I should be cautious of.

Last edited by unclescoob; 10-09-2011 at 07:10 PM.
10-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Site Staff | Video

I would avoiding double-dipping on temporal NR. Honestly, your eyes have to weigh in the most for this decision.

Have I double-dipped on temporal NR? Yes, sometimes. Not often. In those cases, I've stacked Temporal Cleaner with Temporal Smoother in VirtualDub. Other times, I've stacked a filter in Avisynth with one of the aforementioned temporal NR filters in VirtualDub.

Smoother tends to be an even level of aggressiveness, while Cleaner can be tweaked to be heavy on chroma or luma portions of the signal. In my stacking scenario, I often did a heavy attack on the luma, nearly disabling the chroma values (leaving that to Smoother).

I try to avoid temporal NR on VHS, if possible. I'll only use Cleaner -- not Smoother. I would never stack on an interlaced clip. I would deinterlace first, with an advanced Avisynth method (NNEDI2 + YadifMod, for example).

Be cautious of blurring/ghosting and interlace damage.

10-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Free Member

Quote:
I would never stack on an interlaced clip. I would deinterlace first
But on another thread, I was advised by the "tech" guy and another member to NOT deinterlace in this situation, as it was unnecessary and would cause interlacing artifacts. And you agreed. I'm a bit confused now.
10-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Site Staff | Video

It's all about the capturing scenario.

Sometimes you don't want to deinterlace, but you must in order to use a certain filter workflow.
Other times, you simply accept reduced quality (don't use that filter) because deinterlace would make it a net loss in quality.

Every thread is taken at face value. So answers there address the specific scenario.

10-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Free Member

Ok, I understand. I'm working with a cartoon ripped from a retail, episode dvd. It's NTSC Telecine (an 80's cartoon). I'm currently running it through V-dub twice, in order to prevent two filters from intermingling with each other. My workflow goes as follows:

(first Virtualdub pass)

1. NRS Suite (temporal) light pixels 14/dark pixels 11
2. Neatvideo (with temporal smoother on)
3. Donald Graft's Hue Sat, Intensity filter - Saturation down to 79

Then I save that as an avi, pick it back up in virtualdub and only apply the following:

(second Virtualdub pass)

1. Temporalsmother at 3.

Then I save it again and voila.

I noticed that running the temporal smoother separately (and at a very low level) on my second "pass" really cleans up any residual dirt not picked up by the other two filters the first time around.