Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Free Member

Dear great member of different forums,

please help me to buy great JVC VCR for restoring video.

I stopped my choice at HR-S9500E / HR-S9600Eu

But then I found in your posts that D-VHS players does job better. Do they do it really better, of buying another Panasonic ES10 is enough for the best picture quality available?

If it is enough to buy additional Panasonic (after reading your posts I decided to buy it anyway), what models of VCR's should I consider?

Should I buy only 9xxx line or 7600 has the same filters and quality?

Thank you in advance. I hope you will help Russian restoring beginner.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-01-2012, 05:43 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acden View Post
Dear great member of different forums,
Thanks very much for your kind words.

Quote:
please help me to buy great JVC VCR for restoring video. I stopped my choice at HR-S9500E / HR-S9600Eu. But then I found in your posts that D-VHS players does job better. Do they do it really better, of buying another Panasonic ES10 is enough for the best picture quality available?
The thing to realize is that "better" is always subjective. In certain scenarios, yes, the D-VHS is better than the S-VHS players. But do you need it? Are you in that scenario? It's hard to say. You're definitely looking at the best VCRs, but narrowing it down to a single choice is not always easy. At some point, just buy one and hope it works out. (If not, sell it, and get the other one.)

The Panasonic ES10 is not a replacement for a quality VCR. At most, it's a good supplement. But again, it's subjective, and the ES10 is only good in certain scenarios. You DO NOT want to use the ES10 all the time, unless all of your videos have tearing damage. It's not a transparent video processor, meaning it makes video worse in the process. The reason you use it for tearing is because tearing is worse than the noise added by the ES10. It's an unequal tradeoff, with overall result being much improved. Improved, not perfect.

Quote:
If it is enough to buy additional Panasonic (after reading your posts I decided to buy it anyway), what models of VCR's should I consider?
The D-VHS is similar to have a JVC S-VHS VCR + ES10.

Quote:
Should I buy only 9xxx line or 7600 has the same filters and quality?
There's nothing wrong with the 7600. I'd be just as happy with a 7600 as I would be a 9600.

Quote:
Thank you in advance. I hope you will help Russian restoring beginner.
And I welcome you to site! We're glad to help anybody anywhere, be it North America, Russia, or even Mars.

Your English is actually quite good, too. I'm guessing this is an ability of yours, as opposed to using a translator of some kind. I find myself reading Russian articles from time to time, and Google Translate (using the Google Chrome browser's translate feature) absolutely butchers Russian > English translations.

If you have more questions, just ask.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
The Panasonic ES10 is not a replacement for a quality VCR. At most, it's a good supplement. But again, it's subjective, and the ES10 is only good in certain scenarios. You DO NOT want to use the ES10 all the time, unless all of your videos have tearing damage. It's not a transparent video processor, meaning it makes video worse in the process. The reason you use it for tearing is because tearing is worse than the noise added by the ES10. It's an unequal tradeoff, with overall result being much improved. Improved, not perfect.
Do ES20 / ES30 they do the same job? Or only ES10 should be considering to avoid tearing damages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
There's nothing wrong with the 7600. I'd be just as happy with a 7600 as I would be a 9600.
No other filters? Not another video quality? Why it 2 generations up?
I see 9600 has some picture improvements: auto (doing job with B.E.S.T), soft, other. Maybe this filter is also good to have? Or it is not essential?
From other thread:
Quote:
Keep in mind the 9500 apparently doesn't have all the nice noise reduction filters the later 9600 and up has, just the TBC.
Read more: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...#ixzz1qovqP9zC
Quote:
And I welcome you to site! We're glad to help anybody anywhere, be it North America, Russia, or even Mars.
Thank you. Russia is much closer than Mars. And there are no bears on the streets, believe me

Yes, it is mine ability - we are studying English at school, this is a little bit higher than usual school secondary level, as I graduated from the University also (I'm a teacher ). But when I need to translate German, i.e. eBay items listing, i use www.translate.ru - it translates DE->En better than DE-RU
04-02-2012, 07:08 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I only suggest the ES10 because I know it works. The ES15 should work, too.

I'm under the impression that the ES20 and ES25 do not. Panasonic kept changing the recorders with each ES model.

The ES10-ES25 were all LSI Logic chipsets, too, from what I can remember. But poorly used (bad settings), which made the encoding quality lousy -- a hallmark of Panasonic recorders. Only use it for passthrough.

I don't remember an ES30 model.

The more years slip away, the less I remember off-hand. I'll have to sometimes refer back to my own posts here in the forum, from the days when all of that was still fresh in my mind. Remember that these recorders all come in in 2005-2006, so about 6-7 years ago. I did all the research and testing back then, decided on my own gear, shared my knowledge with others, and then it just sort of leaked out of my head over the course of the past near-decade.

The JVC HR-S7600 and 9600 should be identical, aside from 2MB vs 4MB RAM in the TBC/DNR buffer. This rarely makes a difference.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

Just wanted to add, all PAL versions only have 2MB, I've yet to find one with 4. As for the differences between the 7600EU and 9600EU, the 9600 has Dynamic Drum whereas the 7600 does not. I don't have the experience to say how much that helps with tracking. Apart from that, the 9600 has more features, which you won't using if you're just capturing tapes, and has a different design that's more editing-oriented but also not necessary.

I own a 7600EU, from my experience it performs well, the TBC is great for PQ but its drawback is that it can cause a lot of vertical jitter, at least on my tapes. I don't know whether the NTSC models with 4MB do any better, but I guess it could be a selling point for someone choosing between 7600U and 9600U in NTSC land. In PAL land it is irrelevant, you don't get any more RAM in the 9600 than you do in the 7600.

My 9600 will arrive soon so I'll find out firsthand how it compares, but my feeling is you should do just as well with a 7600. Otherwise just choose whichever one you're convinced is in better condition and which seller you trust more.