Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Free Member

Well, the title describes some of the problem. Ok, to start: Several VHS tapes ranging over several years. This one that I'll be giving a sample of is of a wedding (personal friend).

Next, my setup.

JVC BR-S800U >> svideo >> Elite BVP-4 Plus >> Svideo >> ATI 600 USB >> CMC for capture.

I believe when I first signed up here, I remember talking with one of the admins, and they frowned upon the use of my pro JVC deck, but I've had great results before. But I will play advocate and I do think that another deck could possiblyyield better results, not just different ones. Anyway, just wanted to get that out of the way.

One problem you will see with the sample is that, when using the BVP, I have the split screen knob all the way to the left (counter-clock), but you can still see on the left of the video that the line doesn't go all the way left. I think this might be a problem with my BVP unit but am unsure. The only thing I turned/used on the BVP for this video was to brighten it up just a tad, that's all.

And finally, the big problem. Quality of the video is horrible, with lots of:

blocking
rainbows
color bleeding (besides the other obvious color accuracy issues)
noise
halo's/ringing

and perhaps some tracking errors, from the wavy lines?

I suspect this video was shot in SLP even though the whole video is only about 2 hours long. Hopefully some of the more experienced folks can give a few rousing words of wisdom

Also to note, when I attempted to clean some of the video with avisynth, it became a little better, but really, all the problems were still pretty noticeable.

Sample: http://www.mediafire.com/?d6l45k959n4kowv

I would also like to note that I am open to the suggestion of getting a different VCR. I've been looking for either a JVC 9600 or 9800, but the only ones up right now are over $600. Far to much for a VCR of any kind for me.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Free Member

I've never seen 'pro' VHS deck that plays anything else than SP tapes. Is this an exception (SLP)?

That video has horrible MPEG2 artifacts("blocking") that has nothing to do with the JVC SVHS deck.
09-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Free Member

Perhaps you read it to quickly. I said that I SUSPECT it was recorded in SLP, but I have no idea if it was. I can do a quick lossless capture with lagarith to see if it's still there, but I will obviously not be able to upload much of anything since the size will be so large.
09-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Free Member

I suspect it wasn't.
09-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhok View Post
I suspect it wasn't.
Fine with me Means it should be a better tape. Just from watching the lossless capture right now, yes, there is almost no blocking anymore. But There is still the other assortment of issues. I plan on capturing lossless anyway, but wanted a smaller file for you guys to look at. Looking back, I can see that was a stupid decision.

2 files on their way.

Here they are:

http://www.mediafire.com/?v7ko4rr9npsqp51
http://www.mediafire.com/?w7ew7zwxzn9acw5

Last edited by Nightshiver; 09-21-2012 at 04:17 PM.
09-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Free Member

Video looks f--ed indeed. It's very difficult to say what's the culprit because I haven't used your VCR, capture card and I don't have the tape you're trying to capture. It looks like there's A) no internal VCR TBC, or B) time base errors are burned in at the edit. I've seen many wedding videos before look quite bad because they're edited using not-so-good gear and are n-th gen copies of the original tapes.

Btw you shouldn't capture to RGB24, that introduces unnecessary colorspace conversion away from the 'native format' and produces nothing more than a bigger files.

Maybe someone at the NTSC land can give you a better answer.
09-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Free Member

I didn't capture in RGB, it was YUY2, at least according to the settings I used in lagarith. And yes, the JVC unit I have has no internal TBC.
09-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Free Member

Virtualdub says the file is raw RGB24 and it works in here even tho I don't have Lagarith installed. Might be VD misreporting the colorspace but it ain't Lagarith.
09-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Free Member

Ah, nuts. Did it again. Forgot to change the compression method in the editor. I captured in Lags, but forgot about the editor. It's been a while since I captured tapes. I'm just going through again this time for better quality, since I've got a little more money to spend and more equipment.
09-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,460 Times in 2,092 Posts
If you have files that you'd like for Site Staff to look at, you'll need to attach sample clips to this post. Or use Dropbox.
Due to the unsafe nature of sites like Mediafire, which have been infested with malware ads in the past, we don't visit them.
It's also a time vampire having to wait on counters and other nonsense.

Instructions are here, if you need them: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...ly-upload.html

Thanks.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Free Member

Strange never happens to me. At best, there's a captcha box but instant downloads. I don't believe I've ever encountered a timer for MF and never has there been malware ads on it. Been clean for me. Can't attach downloads to this site as they are far to large.

I'll humor you. link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cvrhyx8gc3mwmyu/test1a.avi
https://www.dropbox.com/s/isczrnntkj45nyz/test1b.avi

You really should look into MF, it's a very nice site.

Last edited by Nightshiver; 09-21-2012 at 06:16 PM.
09-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Free Member

The Elite BVP-4 can be adjusted so that more of the screen is covered via a screw inside the case.

See this link:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr-...-bvp-bvp4.html

Also judging by the look of the picture and the audio quality, this tape looks like an SP copy to me, not EP. Do you have any knowledge about when it was recorded and on what equipment? It looks like a mid to late 1990s 8MM hi-fi dub to me. Are you sure you're working with the original tape? The jacked up sharpening reeks of those 1990s Radio Shack 'Video Enhancer" type products that people used to make 'picture perfect copies of their tapes', it would be very unusual for the VCR to cause so much noise or for the tape to have been originally recorded that way.
09-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Free Member

No info on the tape and even if it's not the original, this is the only remaining copy in existence.
09-22-2012, 11:12 AM
Free Member

Just tried the trick mentioned in the repair FAQ for the BVP of turning the screw on the blue box and it didn't do anything. When I look at either CMC or Vdub for capturing, I don't see the line. But when I see the capture or play it back inside Vdub, it's there. I tried turning the screw several times clockwise and counterclockwise and nothing happened to the video.

Edit: Actually, what I found was that as I turn the screw counter-clockwise, it brings the line back over from the RIGHT hand side of the screen, reversing the effects of the BVP just as if you had the Split Screen knob turned all the way clockwise. This is the opposite of what I need. I then turned the screw clockwise again to put it back where it was. There is still a line on the LEFT hand side of the screen when I have the Split Screen knob turned all the way counter-clockwise.
09-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshiver View Post
I don't believe I've ever encountered a timer for MF and never has there been malware ads on it. ... You really should look into MF, it's a very nice site.
Our policy was made after an ad injection exploit script uploaded crap to one of our local workstations back in 2010, and proceeded to replicate itself across the network. Thankfully, only 3 computers were on at that precise moment, so it was an easy fix. And several hours were wasted. Mediafire was the site with the infected ad script. Reports to mediafire.com went ignored, and my opinion on that service would require the usage of vocabulary that is disallowed by site rules -- if you get my drift.

We had a similar incident with Megaupload back in 2009. Seeing them taken down was schadenfreude.

Mediafire is also guilty of default-enabling garbage payloads, such as McAfee. Adobe.com is guilty of this, too, for Flash updates/installs. It's just bad computing policy to allow such invasive scripting by unreliable third parties. And beyond that, it's wholly unnecessary to simply share some files. Ads are one thing -- forcing you to (or tricking you into) download something is unacceptable and out of line with online ethics.

In addition to forum attachments, we give Premium Members temporary access to an FTP on an as-needed basis, to share samples. That's one of the benefits of a premium membership here at the site.

I'll look at your videos, and get back to you here in a follow-up post.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
09-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Free Member

It's not that bad you can try this script to fix it:
new: http://imageupload.org/getfile.php?i...&n=new.jpg&i=1
original: http://imageupload.org/getfile.php?i...iginal.jpg&i=1

script: http://www.mediafire.com/?z362f9aefollxhd
same script with slight new tweaks: http://www.mediafire.com/?io7tltnv2iy4ukf

Attached Files
File Type: avs vhs-digifaq.avs (6.6 KB, 3 downloads)
File Type: avs vhs-digifaq2.avs (9.8 KB, 2 downloads)

Last edited by themaster1; 09-23-2012 at 01:49 PM.
09-23-2012, 06:38 PM
Site Staff | Video

Would you mind post the scripts here? (Use the code brackets, which is the # sign in the editor.)
And then attach the images here, too? Instructions, if needed: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...ly-upload.html

Thanks.

09-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Free Member

Yeah i would mind (it took me free time), you'll think twice next time lordsmurf before deleting pics.
09-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Site Staff | Video

Your images never embedded, actually. They were blank.
Again, that's the reason it's best to attach files to the forum -- those external services are all fubar in their own way.

09-23-2012, 11:20 PM
Free Member

Whatever

Video fully denoised+ color corrections (lagarith, 100 mb): http://www.mediafire.com/?fuduflz62qv6s2u