Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-24-2014, 07:23 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

i closed the program and put the mp4 on my desktop. then renamed it

Here's two screenshots from the Diamond VC500 captured to VirutalDub. Not sure why the green bar is there. I'm running the windows version VC500 into VirtualDub via parallels.

d-1.png
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

and a clip https://www.dropbox.com/s/kp6qohc6d5...amond-test.avi

There's a lot of 'flickering' with the elgato, can this be fixed? I like the VC but it isn't very reliable. lots of dropped frames with virtualdub, and randomly lags or glitches. I'd like to use the elgato since it's more reliable, but i'm sure if it's flaws can be fixed.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-26-2014, 11:12 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
The green bar is because the resolution is set wrong. The tape is obviously NTSC (720x480), but the capture is set to PAL (720x576).

We don't need a 1gb sample. I don't even want to download that -- my connection is too slow these days, and it'd take at least an hour or more! Always 250mb max, if even that. You can often get away with 100mb or less.

I want to try my ATI 600 via Parallels here, when I get a chance. I've never tried to, and am curious if it works. I

f you're dropping frames, it probably means your CPU is too busy. Make sure that ONLY Parallels is running, and take the system offline to do so.

Are you capturing to an internal drive?

Flicker could be anything at this point. You need to try and narrow down to cause.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-27-2014, 12:40 AM
Free Member

When I use the VC500, I save directly to the OS disc. I have the new MBP retina, so its a SSD. I have found that at least in Parallels, it is best to save as uncompressed and resave as Huffy or Lagarith after. I may get 2-3 frames dropped over a tape, but never in the same place unless there is damage. For big drops, my AVT cuts the number down significantly. Make sure to adjust the settings in the provided EZCap software (but dont capture with it!)

I use the Elgato with S-video, and the sample I uploaded listed a page ago doesn't seem to exhibit flickering:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8es...NqYXdERGc/edit

Even if you just watch the Google converted version, you should be able to detect flickering without downloading the sample

Whichever device I use, I make sure its the only thing running and I make sure my power preferences dont turn my monitor off or put the computer to sleep. I manually dim the screen and turn it back up when I hear the VCR rewind.
07-27-2014, 12:52 AM

sorry for the huge samples. i'll try to get some better ones while i have all this equipment.

I'm also very curious if the ATI would work. I increased the memory on the parallels side, but i didn't know i could only have parallels running. I was capturing to an internal drive, but i do have plenty of space. Do you get better results capturing with an external drive? I'm going to look into this because right now the vc500 through parallels is not an option.

With the Elgato, the flickering was very blatent with the on screen text. it's very obvious on the dropbox samples.

I'm finding it very hard to play video between operating systems. When i capture on a mac i'm very limited with my codecs. Is there anyway to play a dv50 on with avisynth / virutaldub? it's in an avi container if that matters. i've been researching but i can't find much information.
07-27-2014, 12:54 AM

premium. do you have the windows or mac version of the VC500? which OS do you capture in?

ps. AVT?
07-27-2014, 01:00 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinheadlarry View Post
premium. do you have the windows or mac version of the VC500? which OS do you capture in?

ps. AVT?
PC version, you can't use the Mac with VDub I don't think. AVT-8710, which is a TBC.

Do you see the same flickering in my upload that you see in yours with the Elgato?
07-27-2014, 01:04 AM

no, i only notice it with text on the screen.

@ 8 seconds..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkgs8s4829ce9zb/elgato.mp4

lordsmurf, how do you only have parallels running?
07-27-2014, 01:11 AM
Free Member

Are you sure that isn't interlace?
07-27-2014, 01:13 AM

i have no idea what it is. it looks like jitter to my noob eye. I only had this problem with the elgato.
07-27-2014, 01:27 AM
Free Member

Quote:
i have no idea what it is. it looks like jitter to my noob eye. I only had this problem with the elgato.
Its not interlace, but I am not sure what to call that.
07-27-2014, 02:39 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
It's being deinterlaced with a simple drop-field method. That's terrible, yes.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-27-2014, 02:46 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
It's being deinterlaced with a simple drop-field method. That's terrible, yes.
The software will automatically do this unless the program is closed and the file is pulled right after capture. Drop field is fine for games since the fields are taking place at the same time.

pinhead-
I would recommend trying to record a full tape, and once you hit stop record, close the program, go into the folder, and move the *.mp4. A small annoyance but you will see the difference. I know that you said that you are already doing this, but I think what might be happening is you are only capturing a few seconds of tape, which doesnt give you enough time to stop the deinterlacing, but a full tape should.
07-27-2014, 10:58 AM

^ you're right premium, i was only capturing 5-10 minutes. i'll try it on a full tape and see what happens.

I'm curious how you get good results with your VC500? running through parallels and capturing in virutaldub or even the included software leads to unusable results.
07-27-2014, 02:14 PM
Free Member

Quote:
^ you're right premium, i was only capturing 5-10 minutes. i'll try it on a full tape and see what happens.

I'm curious how you get good results with your VC500? running through parallels and capturing in virutaldub or even the included software leads to unusable results.
dont capture with the included software. instead, use the program to adjust settings such as pal->ntsc.

what are the specs of your mac?
07-27-2014, 05:33 PM

^my specs are good. i don''t plan to capture with the provided software, but i wanted to see if the problem was with parallels or with the setup in general so i tried to capture with the paired software.

i'm still curious of your workflow with the VC500. and with the elgato since it encodes in Mac codecs. Still haven't found any information on DV50 and if it's possible to play that on windows OS.

Also, i've been trying to take lordsmurfs advice with parallels but i can't find any information on 'taking the system offline' or just isolating parallels
07-27-2014, 05:53 PM
Free Member

Quote:
^my specs are good. i don''t plan to capture with the provided software, but i wanted to see if the problem was with parallels or with the setup in general so i tried to capture with the paired software.

i'm still curious of your workflow with the VC500. and with the elgato since it encodes in Mac codecs. Still haven't found any information on DV50 and if it's possible to play that on windows OS.

Also, i've been trying to take lordsmurfs advice with parallels but i can't find any information on 'taking the system offline' or just isolating parallels
You can only make adjustments inside the packaged software, which is why its so important. You would want to switch to NTSC within that program to see the difference in Virtualdub. You will find along the way the road to capturing is filled with small annoyances such as this, but necessary in the name of quality.

Once the one-time adjustments are made in the VC500 software, I use Virtualdub to capture, and one time means when I first installed it and adjusting picture settings as necessary.

Do not use any of the Elgato menu features, including trimming and export options. It encodes to h.264, and if you wait long enough to use any of them, it will deinterlace. Use only the produced original interlaced mp4.

He meant making sure that in both OS you are only running VirtualDub. Watching an HD movie while simultaneously playing Call of Duty and capturing is a no-no. If my computer is capturing, the program is the only thing running and I leave it alone until the tape is done. Don't even surf the web.

One more thing - you may want to configure your VM in Parallels to get more ram and processing power, as well as disabling ram/vram hungry features in Windows 8. Not sure what the equivalent is, but in Windows 7 you can turn off a bunch of visual stuff to boost performance.
07-27-2014, 08:47 PM

Nothing is really helping. the last thing i guess i'll try is putting parallels on a different hard drive. In virutaldub i drop about 20 for every 1000 frames.

I'd like to just capture on my mac, and then edit with windows. But this leads me back to the dv50 problem. I can't find a codec that can be used windows without some type of error.
07-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Nothing is really helping. the last thing i guess i'll try is putting parallels on a different hard drive. In virutaldub i drop about 20 for every 1000 frames.

I'd like to just capture on my mac, and then edit with windows. But this leads me back to the dv50 problem. I can't find a codec that can be used windows without some type of error.
None of the devices use DV50 - the canopus used DV25 @ 4:1:1. Even if they did, you can use AVI Demux or XVID4PSP to convert them to Huffy if necessary.
07-28-2014, 12:49 PM

my question still stands how to use dv50 or yuv422 codec with windows.

i'll look into avi demux?
07-28-2014, 02:46 PM
Free Member

Huffyuv, Lagarith, and vanilla uncompressed video in virtualdub are based on yuv422. If you are asking about Apple uncompressed, it can't be natively opened with VirtualDub. I would use avidemux or XVID4PSP.

I haven't really used DV50 so I don't know what to tell you. DV50 is a high-level broadcast codec and I have never seen a sample to download and play with.