07-11-2016, 09:14 PM
Premium Member

Hello everyone, recovering ADVC 300 user here.

Started to use VirtualDub. I have been reading the many posts on this site and have not come across this particular issue.

I am running W7, 64 bit, Intel Core i7‑6700K 4 GHz Quad‑Core Processor, 16 GB RAM, plenty of HD space.

VHS tape has plenty of tracking issues so I captured as follows: JVC HR-S5100U > AVT-8710 > ATI HD 600 USB > VirtualDub > Huffyuv 64 using S-Video.

I am ready to load some filters using VirtualDub 1.9.11 + Filters (LS' recommendation) which is saved in my Program Files (x86) folder. I set the filters (Camcorder Color Denoise and Temporal Smoother), make sure I am in "Full processing mode" and click on File > Save as AVI.

When I check the log to see if all is working well, I see that the filters failed to load.

Suggestions? I am all ears.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg VirtrualDub Error.jpg (45.5 KB, 38 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-11-2016, 09:59 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
VDub is looking for an ffdshow filter (ffvdub.vdf) to decode your 64-but huffyuv. Either you don't have ffdshow installed or you haven't activated the ffdshow decoders for use by VirtualDub. The problem appears to be rooted in 64-but huffyuv.

-- merged --

"64-but" is dumb enough for one typo, I suppose, but twice? LOL! Too bad we can't correct, but that's the way it goes.

Anyway, JoRodd, what did you get for output? Are you trying to recompress with huff64 on output or did you want uncompressed RGB32?. What else did the log have to say? Did you use other operations during the session where you had VirtuaLDub running? Did you know that if you right-click on the log viewer window you can save the contents to a text file? Did you get any error messages while VDub was saving the new AVI? What is the colorspace and compression of the new AVI output file?
07-12-2016, 09:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Anyway, JoRodd, what did you get for output?
Forgive me as I am new at this. Not sure what you mean.

Quote:
Are you trying to recompress with huff64 on output or did you want uncompressed RGB32?
Looks like it is going through Huffyuv again.

Quote:
What else did the log have to say?
I have attached a text file.

Quote:
Did you use other operations during the session where you had VirtuaLDub running?
No. I turned off my anti-virus and disconnected from the internet.

Quote:
Did you get any error messages while VDub was saving the new AVI?
No errors.

Quote:
What is the colorspace and compression of the new AVI output file?
Not sure. I have attached a screenshot.

Quote:
VDub is looking for an ffdshow filter (ffvdub.vdf) to decode your 64-but huffyuv. Either you don't have ffdshow installed or you haven't activated the ffdshow decoders for use by VirtualDub. The problem appears to be rooted in 64-but huffyuv.
I did try to install the ffdshow filter. It did not show on my list of filters (even after rebooting) and when I tried to load it, there was an error.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AVI Information.jpg (58.4 KB, 19 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: txt New Text Document.txt (673 Bytes, 21 downloads)
07-12-2016, 10:35 PM
Premium Member

You're trying to mix 64bit and 32bit filters.

You're not capturing in 32-bit huffyuv YUY2, you're capturing 64-bit UYVY -- possibly you or your capture device made that decision, although YUY2 and UYVY contain the same 4:2:2 data but arranged in different pixels, as has been mentioned earlier. Meanwhile if you continue to try to mix 32/64 filters and codecs at the same time you'll get more errors.

Your output file was RGB24, which would be about twice the size of the same file saved as YUY2. If the output was uncompressed RGB24, the file would be 4 times the size of your original capture. Take a look at the list of VirtualDub output color spaces in the "color depth..." menu and you'll see that RGB888 and RGB24 are the same thing. You will probably find it helpful to understand what format and video type you input and output when processing video, or you'll be confronted with some very unpleasant surprises at times.

VirtualDub's "Avi info" is only a very general and very incomplete information source, even if it can be handy for a quick, very abbreviated reference. Sometimes it's helpful to browse posts other than your own to pick up extra information and handy tools. One such tool is the free MediaInfoXp app that gives a lot more detail about a video's innards and saves you the trouble of making screen captures. A download for MediaInfoXP.zip and an explanation of its easy interface was posted a week ago, and a similar post appeared 2 weeks earlier.

Quote:
MediaInfoXP is a simple GUI that displays video properties in text list format. The program is 100% self-contained, no DLL requirements, no installer. no adware. It also works in Windows7. You'll find it very useful.

Create a folder or subfolder in your PC and name it "MediaInfoXP". Into that folder, download the attached .zip MediaInfo-GUI.2016-05-21.zip, attached because the download area of their otherwise nice website is confusing. Unzip that file inside the MediaInfoXP folder. After unzipping, you'll see several files. Double-click on MediaInfoXP.exe to run it. The dialog window will have no data. The window's top menu bar has only 2 menu items. Click on the "Application..." menu item, then click on "Preferences...", then select "Enable the Shell Integration". Close the menu, then close the MediaInfoXP program.

MediaInfo's Windows Shell Integration is now enabled. When you right-click on one of your AVi captures, you'll see a context popup menu of options. Near the top of the Windows popup menu click on "Analyze file with MediaInfoXP". MediaInfoXP will open, and in a few seconds the video's properties will appear in the window. The window can be resized. You can select the contents with a mouse and copy the text contents to the Windows clipboard. Or you can right-click anywhere in the app's window and get a menu of output options, such as saving as a .txt file or copying the contents to the clipboard.

Paste the text in its entirety into a post, or attach the .txt file that you get from MediaInfoXP. That little MediaInfo app is also good for getting some insight into what's inside video files.
Your YUV capture is converted automatically to RGB24 when saving a file in "full processing mode" and/or applying VirtualDub filters. If you had no levels or clipping problems in the original YUV capture, that conversion's not a problem. 'If you did have clipping or otherwise invalid levels in YUV that were not corrected before going into RGB, the lost details can't be recovered in the new file.

You can decompress and losslessly recompress your huff-64 AVI capture by installing the Lagarith 32-bit lossless codec which handles RGB, YUY2, and YV12 losslessly. Open the huff64 AVi in Virtualdub, choose the appropriate colorspace depth (YUY2), choose Lagarith losssless compression, click "fast recompress" mode, and save a new AVI. Note that you can't solve the problem by installing huff64 and huff32 at the same time. UT Video lossless 32-bit codec is similar.

Attached Files
File Type: zip MediaInfo-GUI.2016-05-21.zip (8.84 MB, 8 downloads)
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: JoRodd (07-13-2016)
07-15-2016, 08:55 AM
Premium Member

The filters are failing to load right from the start (see attached). Can someone please help point me in the right direction?

VirtualDub 64 bit works without issue but I wanted to use 1.9.11 if I could with my 64 bit PC.

Edit: VirtualDub64 doesn't work for me either. I can only capture YUY2. Huffyuv is not even an option.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg VirtualD Fail.jpg (21.9 KB, 15 downloads)

Last edited by JoRodd; 07-15-2016 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Updated status
07-15-2016, 06:43 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
This gave me a chuckle: "Hello everyone, recovering ADVC 300 user here." AA for video capture?

Read this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post44169
It seems to be a typical 64-bit vs. 32-bit issue.

Furthermore, VirtualDub has both 32-bit and 64-bit filters, but anything you download here is using the 32-bit. There are 64-bit in folders, but those really are not used.

Forget about your OS being 64-bit. That doesn't matter. In fact, forcing yourself to try and use 64-bit is usually a problem. It's not needed, and has zero benefits.

I'm using VirtualDub 1.9x on my new 64-bit Windows 7 Skylake build.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: JoRodd (07-15-2016)
07-18-2016, 06:27 AM
Premium Member

Well, thanks to sanlyn and LS' input, I finally resolved this.

I uninstalled/removed everything and started from scratch. I got the error again. I remember sanlyn's post about the ffdshow filter. I installed the 32 bit version and everything worked. I installed the 64 bit version initially. That was my problem.

Many thanks for all th help.
08-16-2018, 04:34 PM
Free Member

I am getting the same exact error. I am trying to capture in Huffyuv. So my question is, does this error matter? And how do I pull info from my captured files to see what I am capturing? I am worried the Huffyuv plug in is not working/capturing correctly..

I am using VirtualDub 1.9.11 + Filters.rar that I downloaded here

No one can help me if this error matters?
08-20-2018, 12:16 PM
Premium Member

You should not be getting errors when opening VirtualDub for capture. That filters.rar file should really be removed, it loads some obsolete filters and plugins you'll never use. If the .vdf filter is in the error message, remove the .vdf from your plugins.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: house141 (08-20-2018), lordsmurf (09-15-2018)
08-20-2018, 12:40 PM
Free Member

thank you sanlyn
09-15-2018, 05:46 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
You should not be getting errors when opening VirtualDub for capture. That filters.rar file should really be removed, it loads some obsolete filters and plugins you'll never use. If the .vdf filter is in the error message, remove the .vdf from your plugins.
I'm not aware of anything being outdated in it, but I can upload my current setup.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
failed, filters, virtualdub