Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-15-2017, 10:13 AM
Free Member

I have recently captured a set of S-VHS tapes recorded long time ago from a DVB-S program (video to restore); a sample image is attached.
I used an Hauppauge USB Live 2 with all proc amp settings at default values (half scale) and HuffYUV codec.

One year later the S-VHS recording, I was also able to record the same program with a direct dump of the original satellite stream thanks
to a new dvb-s pc card (reference video); a sample image is attached.

I am not at all an expert about video parameters, but when I compare the 2 images, they look quite different: something has been
lost/degradated/changed in the Digital-to-Analog and Analog-to-Digital conversion on the first flow, which I assume is normal.

Is there any way using VirtualDub or AviSynth filters to "restore" the first video to match the "reference" video in some "automatic way",
for example run some procedure on the 2 videos finding the differences for the video parameters and apply a correction?

I understand it will not be possible to match the better definition and "look" of the original, but may be some improvement can be done on
the captured video...

Attached Images
File Type: png analog_capture.png (589.7 KB, 25 downloads)
File Type: png digital_dump.png (574.9 KB, 24 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-15-2017, 08:52 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
I'm wondering why one would think a later digital source and an analog source would look alike. S-VHS wasn't nearly so great, even in its heyday. Also wondering why you don't just use the digital version.

The Colourlike Avisynth plugin has been used to make similar sources look alike.
Latest v1.0 download (.dll with .txt file + source code): http://wilbertdijkhof.com/mg262/Colourlike_v10.zip (or see attached)
original discussion: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=96308
updated documentation: https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...5&postcount=38

Attached Files
File Type: zip Colourlike_v10.zip (132.9 KB, 4 downloads)
09-16-2017, 02:45 AM
Free Member

Many thanks for your reply and the links, sanlyn, I appreciate.

You are right, and I did not think s-vhs recording could match the original broadcast.
I was just wondering if some post processing could be done to match the "overall video perception", because the first thing I noticed in the
comparison is the "different colors" (I apologize for the non correct video terminology).

I am a fan and a collector of that series, and at some point in time during the second run, the TV Station changed logo, so i also would like
to capture the first run I recorded on s-vhs to have a "homogeneous look".