Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for streaming

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-31-2021, 10:24 PM
Premium Member

I capture in VirtualDub2 with the Lagarith codec. I know the consensus is to use Huffy but I have problems with it when I try to open run an AVS script Message says: AVI Source: couldn't find a decompressor for fourccc HFYU.

I followed the steps here:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post11627

I ran the cmd prompt as an admin. I even tried repeating the steps using Windows Power Shell, just in case. But it didn't solve my Huffy problem. The weird thing is that the files appear to be in the correct location in SysWOW64 so I'm confused about what the problem is.

Can you look at my codec list in VDub2 and GSpot and some of my folders and let me know if something stands out? Specifically, if the codec listed as FFMPEG Huffyyuv the one I'm looking for? Or is this some off-brand version of Huffy? I'm confused on this point.

https://imgur.com/a/8P4Do95
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-01-2022, 05:04 AM
Free Member

I use VirtualDub 1.10.4 (for editing only), and the official HuffYUV codec installed on Windows10 with this procedure:
Code:
1- unzip huffyuv-2.1.1.zip to C:\
2- Copy huffyuv.dll and huffyuv.inf in C:\Windows\SysWOW64
3- Open up a command prompt (DOS box) as administrator (key "Windows" + X -> Windows PowerShell (administrator))
4- In the command prompt (DOS box) go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64
5- Type rundll32.exe C:\Windows\SysWOW64\setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 0 C:\huffyuv.inf
This is how appears the codec list in VirtualDub:
Cattura.PNG

Attached the codec.

Attached Files
File Type: zip huffyuv-2.1.1.zip (14.7 KB, 27 downloads)
The following users thank lollo2 for this useful post: lordsmurf (01-01-2022)
01-01-2022, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

Many thanks for the reply. These were the steps I followed. When I run the command line, I get a pop-up message that goes by too quickly. I added a bit of extra text to the command to save the error to a log file.

rundll32.exe C:\Windows\SysWOW64\setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSectio n DefaultInstall 0 C:\huffyuv.inf >> "C:\logFile.txt"

But the log file has no text inside, so I'm guessing there was no error.

I should point out that I can see Huffyuv v2.1.1 as you do in VirtualDub. But I don't see it in VirtualDub2. I followed Andrew Swan's tutorial a while back, so wherever he told me to put the file, I put the file.
https://youtu.be/C4PyyQoz6eo?t=1172
01-02-2022, 04:48 AM
Free Member

You really should not use VirtualDub2 for capturing, but VirtualDub 1.9.11.

It was created to internally support large sets of codec for editing, but at some point in time the "capture" feature was slightly broken and behaves not as good as original versions depending on the capture card.

And even for editing I prefere VirtualDub 1.10.4, because I prefere to have full controll of what (codec) is installed and used rather than rely on a ready to use release. YMMV.

I have the same approach with any GUI for encoding, but that's another story.

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
01-02-2022, 05:11 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post
You really should not use VirtualDub2 for capturing, but VirtualDub 1.9.11.
I recently (in the past week) confirmed several things:

- VirtualDub2 causes dropped frames, and therefore often loss of audio sync. It has some sort of really weird caching effect, so even the preview will de-sync. The settings ultimately make zero difference, aside from how long it takes for the drops to first start happening, and how long the drop bursts last.

- VirtualDub FilterMod (aka VirtualDub2 early versions) is still identical to 1.10.x

- VirtualDub ("official"/original version) 1.10.x has various issues

- VirtualDubMod is unstable

Only 1.9.x works as it should.

VirtualDub 1.6, 1.7, and 1.8 all work -- but differently, and less often with USB era cards.

Also: Turning off the top two options under timing ONLY disables the dropped frames counter, and the lower left counter is wrong (not 0). Frames still drop. Do not uncheck the top two insert/drop settings

VirtualDub2 should be consider a post-capture software ONLY. It's great for re-encoding, and in a batch, for something AVI > ProRes422.

But there are a number of flaws in VirtualDub2. Filters like resize are buggy, x264 encodes are rejected by DLNA, aforementioned capture drops with almost all cards. I mentioned it to the developer, and he wanted more details. So I gave more details. And nothing happened.

I'm currently in communication with two programmers, and we may opt to fork out a capture-only version, starting from 1.9. Add features, improve settings, add documentation. I'll take my queues from selur/Hybrid, in terms of documenting functions in-program. VirtualDub too often was obtuse with settings, and it led to many newbies making wrong choices (such as disabling reporting; and those options shouldn't even be allowed, zero reason for it).

BTW, thanks for the Win10 Huffyuv code. I was having a brain fart yesterday, doing that exact task (Huffyuv Win10). I forgot the "copy to SysWOW64" step. I know it's documented in the forum already, but this was handy and quick.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: lollo2 (01-02-2022)
01-02-2022, 06:30 AM
Free Member

Quote:
I'm currently in communication with two programmers, and we may opt to fork out a capture-only version, starting from 1.9. Add features, improve settings, add documentation.
That will be great!

If it helps, what I noticed with VirtualDub 1.9.11 and modern USB cards, is that sometimes it tends to loose synch for captures > 45 minutes, in a growing way as the capture goes on. Whatever setting.

When not caused by a bad signal because lack of frameTBC, I suspect that this is related to the original core of VirtualDub dealing with old analog captures, where video and audio were captured with 2 different devices and we had to deal with jitter and skew between the clocks of the hardware. For that reason many different settings were introduced. But with today integrated audo/video capture in one device, maybe the internal architecture of the sync is not anymore appropriate for some cards. Maybe.

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
01-02-2022, 06:43 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollo2 View Post
That will be great!

If it helps, what I noticed with VirtualDub 1.9.11 and modern USB cards, is that sometimes it tends to loose synch for captures > 45 minutes, in a growing way as the capture goes on. Whatever setting.

When not caused by a bad signal because lack of frameTBC, I suspect that this is related to the original core of VirtualDub dealing with old analog captures, where video and audio were captured with 2 different devices and we had to deal with jitter and skew between the clocks of the hardware. For that reason many different settings were introduced. But with today integrated audo/video capture in one device, maybe the internal architecture of the sync is not anymore appropriate for some cards. Maybe.
With 1.9.x, I've never seen sync issues:
- with proper settings for the card
- with TBCs in use (line+frame)
- using non-Win10, which appears to futz with audio timing

What are your settings?

Settings to note:
- capture timing setting, take screenshot
- preview mode details, Video >
- DirectX settings in main non-capture preferences

01-02-2022, 07:40 AM
Free Member

Quote:
What are your settings?
All of them.

The key point is Windows 10, not really appropriate for VirtualDub captures with certain cards I suspect.

Will see if you and your pals produce a rock solid capture only software based on VirtualDub. We all still need it!

01-02-2022, 09:19 AM
Site Staff | Video

All of them? Not understanding.

The timing settings are key with capture. The wrong setting, and VirtualDub becomes a virtual paperweight.

Forking VirtualDub for capture-only won't be quick, but we'll see what happens.

01-02-2022, 10:56 AM
Free Member

Quote:
All of them? Not understanding.
I meant that I was not able to obtain perfect synch with any of the settings, but that's my combination of OS and cards.

Quote:
Forking VirtualDub for capture-only won't be quick, but we'll see what happens
It will be great to have it, at least for Windows10. My extensively used AmarecTV is quite old, and not sheltered to any future Windows 10 "upgrade" (as are the drivers of any card)

01-02-2022, 05:30 PM
Free Member

Couldn't tell from your post if you're using 32 bit or 64 bit Vdub2. There are different Huffyuv codecs (32 bit and 64 bit). To use both, you have to have both codecs installed. To install 64bit huffyuv, you also have to run the following command and make sure you point to the 64 bit codec in the command line.

rundll32 C:\Windows\System32\setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSectio n DefaultInstall 0 C:\huffyuv64\huffyuv.inf
The following users thank stymie for this useful post: ThumperStrauss (01-03-2022)
01-04-2022, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

[SOLVED]

The previous instructions I found explained that I had to run the following from the Windows command prompt (after first downloading huffyyuv to the suggested folder):

cd c:\windows\syswow64
rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 0 c:\huffyuv.inf

However, that didn't solve it for me on my Windows10 computer. Here is what finally got Huffyuv to appear as a codec in VirtualDub2:

Run these commands to install BOTH 32bit and 64bit on the same Windows 64bit machine:

32bit huffyuv:
rundll32 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSectio n DefaultInstall 0 C:\huffyuv-2.1.1\huffyuv.inf

64bit huffyuv:
rundll32 C:\Windows\System32\setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSectio n DefaultInstall 0 C:\huffyuv64\huffyuv.inf

Source: https://www.videohelp.com/software/H.../reviews#12486
01-04-2022, 08:32 PM
Free Member

After reading this thread, I created a modern Windows installer for HuffYUV v2.1.1 that makes the installation process much simpler: https://github.com/hofmand/video-codec-installers

Just go to "releases", download the .msi of your choice (or both), and double-click to run. Now you don't have to worry about running from an elevated command prompt or typing in the rundll32 command.

The source code is in that repository for anyone to inspect (it's all XML), and I can help Lordsmurf compile it himself if he wants to create his own release. The HuffYUV binaries in the installer were downloaded from digitalfaq.com so I think they're safe.

I've tested it in Windows XP 32-bit and Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit.
The following users thank hofmand for this useful post: Hushpower (01-05-2022), lollo2 (01-05-2022), lordsmurf (01-06-2022), ThumperStrauss (01-05-2022)
01-07-2022, 07:39 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hofmand
After reading this thread, I created a modern Windows installer for HuffYUV v2.1.1 that makes the installation process much simpler:
Fantastic! Thanks a lot.
07-23-2023, 11:11 PM
Free Member

@Hofmand, FYI, just tried to install both the 32bit 64bit on my new Win 11 machine but it says it needs admin privileges, and won't install.

MSI requires Admin privileges.jpg

There is no right-click "run as admin" option.

07-23-2023, 11:33 PM
Free Member

Run it from an elevated command prompt:

Start > start typing "command prompt" > right click on "Command Prompt" > Run As Administrator

Then you can CD to the directory with the .msi file and type it in to run it.

At least the .msi file tells you what the problem is, the old .inf file didn't so I think it's a slight improvement.
The following users thank hofmand for this useful post: lordsmurf (07-24-2023)
07-23-2023, 11:50 PM
Free Member

Excellent, that did it. I don't know whether putting the MSIs in a folder on the C Drive did it, or whether CDing to the folder they were in did it, but it installed.

God I hate this stuff.

Put in a plug for you over on VH:
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...11#post2698601

07-24-2023, 07:36 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
I hate this stuff.
Let's not overly blame Huffyuv, or codecs, or even video as whole.

Microsoft Office is way more irritating than Huffyuv is.

Installing any software sucks, drivers for anything sucks. Plugging in random hardware, or just "adding" (drag/drop) software, and it "just working" is fiction.

Even installing a bare OS is a PITA. Even if somebody else installs the OS itself, setup is still a headache. I actually find Mac the worst, Windows varies, and Linux (mostly Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint) is surprisingly the least obtuse due to not hiding things. Microsoft and Apple think users are too stupid, and they're not wrong, but it makes power users frustrated.

Just some perspective.

07-24-2023, 08:37 AM
Free Member

Nothing irritating about it, LS. Office works, HUFF doesn't. Simple as that. I have dozens of programs, both payware and free, that all work, despite the incredible variations in each. I am amazed at what Windows does.

What disappoints me is that something as simple as installing HUFF hasn't been automated. Us newbys get bashed from here to kingdom come if we don't have a multi-hundred dollar VCR, a multi-thousand dollar TBC and are not Jagabo-proficient in AVISynth, and yet we're forced to go through this nonsense trying to get THE AVI codec installed. LAGS and Magic have simple EXE installers so it can be done.

I can't write code, but I'm sure there are probably hundreds of video experts out there that could write an install file but it took Hofmand, only last year, to create one. Not one person before him has put an installer together.

This is the sort of thing that turns people off video; the nonsense and rigmarole drives people nuts.

As for irritating, if you think Office is irritating, I can tell you AVISynth is 1000% more so!
07-24-2023, 09:11 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
I can tell you AVISynth is 1000% more so!
Anything to do with programming, or even just command-line, is not easy. It's not supposed to be. It's about control, not GUI for the lazy masses. (Though you can easily argue NOT making a GUI is equally lazy.)

What irritates me about Avisynth, Huffyuv, and others -- including non-video software -- is lack of documentation. Just "here you go!" and zero idea what it is, does, how to use, etc.

Quote:
Office works
I've been fighting Office for weeks now.
- Old office, yes, easy.
- Newer Office, nope, PITA. Wants to phone home, reject keys/serials, octopus install, etc.

Quote:
Us newbys get bashed
Never. Nobody is beat up over using lesser gear. But it is lesser gear, with many limitations. And those limitations almost always make the gear a non-starter for any degree of quality video work. Nobody wants to spend money, but money is almost always required for any degree of quality. Most of us are not going to gloss over that fact, or be an apologist to cheap low-end gear.

I'm especially not fond of mushy language that makes it seems as if anything is fine, or that everything is "the same" (but still different?). That's the kind of garbage reviews you see in PCMag and others. Too afraid to state the obvious, "walking on eggshells", for fear of pissing off somebody (usually their advertisers). So it's word salad mush that helps nobody. An item could catch fire from use, and those crap reviews would state "may not be the best fit for all users". I'm far more direct with my language, but never take it to be a "bash".

Quote:
not Jagabo-proficient in AVISynth,
Also poisondeathray, StainlessS, and a few others. They have awesome skills. (Not "awesome" like a Ninja Turtle would say, but truly "awe and wonder".)

Quote:
What disappoints me is that something as simple as installing HUFF hasn't been automated.
I can't write code, but I'm sure there are probably hundreds of video experts out there that could write an install file but it took Hofmand, only last year, to create one. Not one person before him has put an installer together.
The problem is the OS keeps moving to goal posts, breaking stuff.

Quote:
This is the sort of thing that turns people off video;
Anything that requires any effort turns off people. Humans are literally lazy by nature, our biology wants to conserve as much energy as possible. (See also: why it's so easy to get fat.)