Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for streaming

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-29-2023, 03:01 PM
Free Member

So I have been attempting to take my WinDV made DV files and encode them into a lossless format for editing and also deinterlace for showing online.

I have read that the DV file needed to be re-encoded in lagarith or Huffyuv through a few different programs. I have attempted to use Virtual Dub as that has always been a reliable program and then using Hybrid for deinterlacing.

I believe I am having an issue with my encoding from DV because I have done trial and error on many settings on virtual dub to try and recode the DV files. Even after running them through virtual dub to hopefully change the format they still show up as DV in hybrid which causes hybrid to crash during the video re-encoding which makes sense.

What is the proper way to re-encode DV to lossless? Please try to be specific as I have had a lot of general responses, if possible.

Thank you
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-29-2023, 04:05 PM
Free Member

Are you using vdub2?

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
03-29-2023, 04:12 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Are you using vdub2?
I have both Vdub1 on my xp capture machine and Vdub2 on a Windows 10 processing machine.

The XP machine currently has Huffyuv installed on it.
03-29-2023, 07:15 PM
Free Member

Quote:
What is the proper way to re-encode DV to lossless?
Install your desired lossless codec on your computer

Open your file in VDub2

Video>Full Processing Mode

File>Save Video

-In the Video section of the Save Video screen: Change the codec to your desired lossless codec (and change any codec parameters via the Configure button; shouldn't need to)

Save.

Remember, you can have as many VDubs installed as you like. I have VDub2 on both my machines, with 1.9.11. They simply run from their unzipped folders and won't get tangled up with other versions.
03-29-2023, 08:14 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
Install your desired lossless codec on your computer

Open your file in VDub2

Video>Full Processing Mode

File>Save Video

-In the Video section of the Save Video screen: Change the codec to your desired lossless codec (and change any codec parameters via the Configure button; shouldn't need to)

Save.

Remember, you can have as many VDubs installed as you like. I have VDub2 on both my machines, with 1.9.11. They simply run from their unzipped folders and won't get tangled up with other versions.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.
Is there a reason you prefer to use Vdub2 over Vdub1 here?
03-29-2023, 08:36 PM
Free Member

My pleasure!

VDub2 has an internal x264 codec for export. The only external x264 codec I could find to install was x264vfw which was poo-pooed by Lordsmurf as being way out of date.

Also, the cropping filter in VDub2 has a standalone cropping filter, making it easier to use than the 1.x cropping system.

And, VDub2 seems to open more file types.

One possible trap with VDub2: make sure you set the Save File extension to what you want. For example, even if you choose x264 as your export codec, the extension will stay on AVI, so you have to manually change it to MP4.

HUFF, LAGS are all AVI, of course.
03-29-2023, 09:57 PM
Free Member

I am going to be using Hybrid to deinterlace and process the lossless avi's into 264 MP4's for the web.

That in mind is there any other reason, if I am only using Vdub to re-encode, that one or the other is preferred (vdub1 vs Vdub2)?

Also is there any known benefit or difference I should be aware of between HUFF and LAG formats?

Thank you again!
03-29-2023, 10:08 PM
Free Member

Quote:
That in mind is there any other reason, if I am only using Vdub to re-encode, that one or the other is preferred (vdub1 vs Vdub2)?
Not that I am aware of.

Quote:
Also is there any known benefit or difference I should be aware of between HUFF and LAG formats?
Installing HUFFYUV was, for me, a pain in the butt, whereas LAGS installs with no dramas (a single EXE file). Performance-wise, I don't know of any differences.

I was also never able to export using HUFF into YUV; it always defaulted to RGB. Other users don't have this problem, and we never worked out why my system did it.

Hopefully more-expert codec users will chime in.

Tags
dv files, encode, format, lossless, virtual dub