12-27-2021, 08:40 AM
Premium Member

I have started a project to digitalize home movies on VHS, VHS-C and MiniDV.
Camera used are consumer cameras and the quality of movies is not great due to the cameras used, tapes available and context of scenes
such as low light and that i am an amateur.
So to diffuse these movies i decided to put them on a DVD (720 X 480 4:3 format) due to the fact most people have a DVD player and
i think that these files cannot be upscaled to 4K with good quality.

My goal is to archive the tapes to a digital format that can be processed later.
Actually all tapes (except MiniDV wich are trasferred) have been captured using VirtualDub as HuffUV (V2) and tranfered to a HDD.
My workflow: Pana AG-1060 => Pana DMR-ES-15 => AVT8710 (Green ) => ATI AIW (AGP) on Win XP SP2.
Doing this capture, i think that i have digital files as close as possible to what's on the tape.

About DVD transfer. I have 1 PC computer on windows 10 and possibly 1 computer on win XP or win 7. But i'd prefer to work on Win 10.
Before to burn DVD, i have to:
-Restore files when needed. I have already submitted worst files on this forum and some improvement can be done.
-Edit captured files
-Encode files to MPEG-2 for DVD or H264 for Blueray.
-Authoring before burning DVD.

What i want to do is to acquire the softwares to encode captured AVI files and to author files before to burn DVD.
I will work on restoration after being able to burn files on DVD.
Being on windows 10 i need advice on Editing and Encoding software (freeware or payware) for MPEG-2 and maybe H264.
I need advice for an authoring software capable to burn DVD (and maybe Blu ray). I plan to buy Abode Premiere Element for authoring.

Other question, is there a way to put metadata with captured AVI files?
I have attached a description of files using mediainfo.File info AGP-14.JPG

Regards and thanks in advance.
Jacques

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-28-2021, 06:25 AM
Free Member

No reason to upscale to 4K or HD. In general the player/TV will do as good or a better job of it at playback.

On the pay-for software side TMPGEnc's Authoring Works does a decent job of authoring and burning both DVD and BD. While its user interface is a bit unique it does allow significant control over the project. However, its video editing capability is mainly cuts. A project can be authored to BD and then easily converted to DVD as well making it easy to distribu the same item in both formats.

When burning analog video to DVD it is important to use as noise-free video as you can. Noise consumes bits and hurts quality of compressed video. Use as high bit rate as you can (no more then 90 minutes on a single layer DVD).

Not sure I understand what you have in mind for saving metadata with the AVI file. MediaInfo's FILE->Export function lets you save the metadata to a text file (or other format).

Last edited by dpalomaki; 12-28-2021 at 06:40 AM.
12-28-2021, 08:27 AM
Premium Member

dpalomaki,
My AVI files are captured home video that i want to distribute to my family.
On the VHS tapes i have notes about date time and places visited or events like Christmas, etc. I'd like to join those informations to the AVI file like we do with images (photography). By metadata, i mean those informations.
Jacques
12-28-2021, 09:28 AM
Free Member

If you want to add to or edit the AVI file metadata, there are a number of products that claim to support this function. A web search on "edit avi metadata" will bring up a number of hits. However, I have not used any of them (no need to do it, although I've edited metadata on MP3 files using MP3TAG).

If you want metadata that can be readily viewed by any user playing the video I would consider adding that as an intro or end credits appended to the file as well.