12-05-2021, 07:21 AM
Premium Member

Hi there

I was checking the instructions of a Panasonic VCR and I noticed in the instructions they are asking to plug it in and wait for 2-3 hours first before using it.

Does anyone have an idea on why these instructions? What happens if you use it directly without waiting ? does it gave inferior picture quality or something?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-05-2021, 04:10 PM
Free Member

Usually you do that assuming the VCR was in the box stored somewhere in a warehouse or a store where the climate conditions are different from your home, Doing so allows the moisture to completly evaporate and components' temperature stabilizes and all lubricants in the mechanism reach their desired viscosity for room temperature conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: mbassiouny (12-05-2021)
12-05-2021, 05:00 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Cold VCR heads can also strip the oxide off the tape. Beware.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: mbassiouny (12-05-2021)
12-05-2021, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

Thanks both. Is this common to any VCR in general, or are some models are more prone to this than others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
assuming the VCR was in the box stored somewhere in a warehouse or a store where the climate conditions are different from your home
Oh I understand better now. The manual I read mentioned something about evaporation or something like this, but it was a translation I checked via google translate so things didn't make sense to me. Now I understand what they meant!

Thanks
12-06-2021, 09:58 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbassiouny View Post
Thanks both. Is this common to any VCR in general, or are some models are more prone to this than others?

Oh I understand better now. The manual I read mentioned something about evaporation or something like this, but it was a translation I checked via google translate so things didn't make sense to me. Now I understand what they meant!

Thanks
Yes, condensation can form inside the machine. Old machines often have a 'dew' indicator that locks the machine until it's satisfied the condition has cleared.

For older machines (and not intended by the manufacturer) it's probably sage advice anyway as it'll let any slightly wonky components reach spec', we have a couple of TBCs which are getting a bit elderly and need a few minutes to 'warm up' before they behave properly. It's a symptom of failure, but they keep working for the time being.

I would guess oxide being torn from the tape is a sign of condensation on the head-drum.
The following users thank RobustReviews for this useful post: mbassiouny (12-15-2021)
12-07-2021, 07:17 AM
Free Member

Which model VCR is it?

Avoiding/clearing possible condensation by allowing the unit to reach thermal equilibrium with the new environment is a primary reason. It especially applies to gear that has been stored/shipped from a cold area to a warm/humid environment. With some gear plugging it in will energize part of the power supply generating a bit of heat speeding the process.

A secondary reason that is usually not a concern for consumer uses is to allow the unit to reach its intended calibration set point. Warm-up time. Electrolytic capacitors that have aged can partly reform when voltage is applied which may improve performance of gear from what you get at a cold start. And most electronic parts and mechanical parts change values/dimensions slightly as their temperature changes. This is similar to the caution to let a monitor operate for some period of time before color calibrating it.

The grossest example is how CFL bulbs (I hate them) require ~5 minutes to reach full brightness.

It also applies to other things besides electronics. For example, hardwood flooring should sit in the house in open cases for a day or two before installation to allow it to reach thermal and moisture equilibrium with the new environment.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: mbassiouny (12-08-2021)

Tags
vcr