Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-22-2023, 08:12 AM
Free Member

I recently picked up a Samsung SV-5000W from a coworker and I noticed it has a SCART port on the back. I know a little about the port, namely that it is capable of outputting RGB, Composite, or S-Video but usually only one (from what I've read).

I plan to use this to digitize some of my parent's old home movies (everything is NTSC), so I'm not looking for pixel perfect capture I guess. My plan was to get a composite to HDMI adapter (or potentially run this through my Denon S760h receiver without the need for an adapter) and run that into an Elgato HD60S I have laying around and use something like OBS to capture the video output. I know it's probably not the preferred way of doing it, but I have this equipment already and (unless it's going to just be awful) I'm not too keen on investing hundreds of dollars into it. For now.

But with my question, given that SCART could output something more than composite, how can I tell what it is? If the SCART port outputs RGB or S-Video, I would want to use that instead of just normal Composite yeah? I would pickup a SCART to HDMI adapter (or buy/build an OSSC to handle it) in that case.

Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-22-2023, 09:00 AM
Free Member

On these (and most other VHS VCRs with SCART) it only outputs composite video + audio.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
02-22-2023, 09:10 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
On these (and most other VHS VCRs with SCART) it only outputs composite video + audio.
Gotcha. I'll just get a good quality RCA composite cable and plug it into my AVR to start and see how it all looks.
02-22-2023, 09:30 AM
Free Member

Should also note that a working one of these go for a fair bit of money since they can play all tape systems, so if you are not planning to keep it you will be able to recoup a fair bit of cost from selling it if you end up going for a fancier capture setup.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
02-22-2023, 10:11 AM
Free Member

That's what I've seen. We agreed on $100 since he just wants to get rid of it and have it be used; as it's been in a box, unused for a long while. We saw it was going for several hundred on eBay, but he offered it for $100.
02-22-2023, 11:48 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheGamer View Post
composite to HDMI adapter
an Elgato
OBS to capture
(unless it's going to just be awful) !
This will look awful. Every color value, contrast, exposure, and even aspect, will be screwed. Not exaggerating here. Bad, crap quality, often wholly unviewable schlock.

Quote:
I'm not too keen on investing hundreds of dollars into it. For now.
You may not get another shot. Tapes are within that 35-65 year lifespan now, and many 80s tapes are degrading now. (In the 2000s, it was all BS to sell you stuff. But now, 20 years later, some truth to it finally. I see far too many degraded tapes now, flaking oxide.)

Too often, tapes are one-and-done. What you get is all you'll have. I hate it when I come across self-destructing tapes, especially homemade masters (ie, when lost, lost forever).

There is a middle ground between "cheap crap" and "high-end workflow". At least add the ES10/15, and a decent capture card. It's not what I would suggested, but even the cheap Live2 USB card is vastly better than the junk you're considering.

Buy it, use it, resell it.
- quality gear holds the best value
- but you can recoup a few bucks from the budget gear like this
- the HDMI/Elgato junk is yours forever.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-23-2023, 06:32 AM
Free Member

I'll go re-read through the stickied threads on capture cards and such then. But let me see if I understand the flow of this properly:

This Samsung VCR -> DMR-ES10/15 (or something to help clear/stabilize the image) -> something better than the HD60S I have (be it that Hauppauge cable or something else entirely) -> the output of that capture device into my computer

Is that right? Not VCR -> DMR and record to a DVD and rip the file off the DVD?

Tags
denon, elgato, samsung, sv-5000w