Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-06-2024, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

I am looking for someone that can help me develop my personal workflow and procedures expeditiously.
I have several large projects that I need to get done and I feel like it is two steps forward and three back lately.

I have purchased two time based correctors, two capture cards and two vcrs from LS. He is too busy to provide the one on one help i need. I also have two recenly built Windows 7 machines dedicated to capture. I am hoping to establish an Elmer as they say in the HAM radio world that i can go to for answers and guidance.
I have a lot of comptuer experience with Windows, Mac and moderate experience with Adobe Premiere and Elements. and have been capturing tapes and films for sometime albiet at a much lower quality than I want to achieve. We all start somewhere and i want to take my skills to the next level. I really want to get good at this and I am tired of searching through the forum to find my answers and then only to find out that there is a newer better way to do what I am attempting to do. I need a more direct path to my desire of great results. I know that this is not a cookie cutter process but I am tired of creating the wheel setting everything up.

This is a very time consuming task when things go well but a much bigger task when things dont go as planned.

I have Virtual Dub installed and running somewhat successfully. I have performed some captures and some scrubbing with moderate success. I want help determining what filters I should be familiar with.
I want help in perfecting my Virtauldub results.
The way i see it is capture in Virtual Dub, clean up and scrub in VDub, then run it through Hybrid for a compressed version for eaiser sharing.

I am sure I left something out and I know its not that simple but I am confident that once I get the other machine set up and some more captures under my belt I can stand on my own two feet but right now I need and Elmer desperately.

Thanks

Any takers?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-06-2024, 04:38 PM
Free Member

Following

A few years ago 2017 I realized that the knowledge that I was taking on board from this Forum was not staying in the frontal lobe as reliably and as long as I wanted it to. At the time I thought that a flow chart of sorts would be a good idea to keep the basics down. Probably a good idea still. On a side note, I stopped taking my Atorvastatin (cholesterol) and Losartan (hypertension) and now I seem to get confused less often and memory is qute a bit better LOL.
02-06-2024, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

I would be more than happy to share my procedure manual when I get it done. I know that there is a section for guides and there are some "guides" interspersed throughout the forum boards but it is a real job to track them down and see if they apply to my situation. I know that there are many many variables involved and its impossible to make a universal guide but....
02-06-2024, 05:38 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobylars83 View Post
I would be more than happy to share my procedure manual when I get it done. I know that there is a section for guides and there are some "guides" interspersed throughout the forum boards but it is a real job to track them down and see if they apply to my situation. I know that there are many many variables involved and its impossible to make a universal guide but....
This is why the new forum is taking time, to better organize carefully.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: tobylars83 (02-06-2024)
02-06-2024, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

No disrespect LS I just don't have time to wait for that right now. I have to get these two projects done.
Respectfully
02-06-2024, 05:56 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
No disrespect LS I just don't have time to wait for that right now. I have to get these two projects done.
Respectfully
I was not suggesting you wait, just that the issue is acknowledged and planned to be addressed. While your current learning bottleneck is timely, your later learning bottlenecks will be easier to resolve from the better organized and curated content. That was my only point here. This site has grown a lot in the past 20 years, and the original site organization no longer fully functions as intended.

02-07-2024, 09:36 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
This is why the new forum is taking time, to better organize carefully.
Wait, what? NEW forum?
02-07-2024, 02:29 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I would be interested to see the procedure manual that you produce. If I were asking for help or trying to share knowledge on a capture process I would give or ask specific info.

In no way am I attempting to be demeaning.
I am a rookie at capture, not the brightest guy but if it interests me generally figure things out.

Computer Mainboard and version of software.
source media and end result media
model of capture card or method of getting the source material to the capture software
which TBC model is to be used
software (which version of AIW software), which capture software(Vdub?) and encoding software is planned
I forgot about VCR, what vcr is available.
02-10-2024, 11:21 AM
Premium Member

My intent is to compile a procedure manual for all parts of my business but specifically the method of using Virtual Dub to capture and scrub then Hybrid to compress. I have done this for other parts of my business but this one is evading me and I would like to get some timely help in perfecting this. I know that each situation can be different but there is still a basic flow to develop. I have scoured the web and this site and get conflicting results based upon levels of experience and expertise. One mans solution is another mans nightmare or one suggestion is out of date and there is better version out there.

Most of the media i am trying to capture is VHS, VHSc, BETA, and various forms of 8mm Hi8.
I have several computers. My main computer for daily work and Adobe editing is a recently assembled Windows 10 machine built by my local comptuer guy of many years.
13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900KF 3.00 GHz
64g ram
gpu is nvidia geoforce rtx 4070
samsung ssds
Below is my first capture work flow
I am using a JVC HR vds3u i got from LS
I am using the TBC i got from LS. It says it is a Multisystem Converter ? I dont know the specs of it
I am using the Pinnacle 710usb
The dedicated Windows 7 Professinal machine i use with this capture set up.
This W7 has an intel i5 4460 with 16g of ram and two ssd drives

My intent is to only capture on this machine and if i have to i can scrub with VirtualDub and maybe Hybrid.

My intent is to use my windows 10 machine to manipulate the AVI captures in virtual dub and hybrid and then premiere pro or final cut pro on my Macbook pro m3 max

I have a second windows 7 machine that i have had built to match my first windows 7 machine.
The second w7 has nvidia geoforce gt730 gpu with an i5-4460 cpu with 2 ssd drives
I have also acquired another TBC and an ATI TV Wonder 600 capture device.
I havent been able to figure out how to install the software on my second w7 machine.
Struggling with ATI software and getting HUFFY integrated into VDub with the admin permission problem that I have not been able to solve.
Hybrid keeps kicking errors.
frustrated

I am still patiently waiting for another VCR from lordsmurf so i can beging capturing with that set up.

-- merged --

I failed to mention I would pay someone to help me get this figured out and running smoother.
02-10-2024, 02:37 PM
Free Member

Hi Tobylars83
Thank you for your reply. I will try to bite off small chunks of what we are discussing and address it.
By thinking about this it is helping me also refresh my memory about my own capture systems that have laid dormant for 5 years.
First and most important point is I see win10 and win 7 machines in your post. as far As I know most ATI capture cards are meant for XP. Yes XP is a pain but thats life. Is your ATI software compatable your operating system?

"Struggling with ATI software "

I have 3 or 4 All In wonder cards and have struggled with the software installation as I recall. Even to the point of reloading the operating system "XP" several times as somehow files in the os kept getting corrupted. I dont remember the specifics of which card(s) it was though.
I believe it was Sanlyn was helping me (replying to my posts via this forum) to get it working and eventually voilą.

"and getting HUFFY integrated into VDub with the admin permission problem that I have not been able to solve"

Getting Huffyuv (lossless codec) to work was a minor sturggle but by scouring this forum (and the web?) I finally got it to work with VDUB. There is a post and IIRC it was also Sanlyn who once asked a member something l ike "Are you using Huffyuv? and If not why not?" That kind of motivated me and looking back I wished I had got this working earlier.
My captures went something like this.
JVC SVHS machine, TBC (see picture) which is just starting going into equipment rack. XP computer 32 bit? with All In Wonder card. captured with VDUB using Huffyuv and saved with lossless codec.
Then on a windows 7 machine (or sometimes Win 10) using AVIDEMUX ( I never got more sophisiticated) I would encode to something else. I have used Handbrake and Video to Video also and I realize they are not the ultimate encoding software.
Scott

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0026.jpg (105.8 KB, 6 downloads)
02-10-2024, 04:30 PM
Site Staff | Video

ATI 600 USB is great in Win7. Not AIW here.

02-10-2024, 04:49 PM
Free Member

This is good to know.
02-10-2024, 07:34 PM
Premium Member

LS what are my TBCs? I dont know your specific "label" or type they are. Just use them.