Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-20-2024, 02:11 PM
Free Member

We have a friend who performed and recorded a concert in Sri Lanka. It's up on YouTube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfzpuDp98F4

Some of her friends/family around the world need to see it on DVDs, but it sounds like the videographer is dragging his feet.

So I was thinking of downloading it and burning a couple of copies for her, but I'm in the US, and I have no idea where her friends are. I haven't burned DVDs (with menus, etc) previously, but I get the concepts and I'm willing to give it a shot with the copy of Corel Video Studio I have.

Q1: on the source side I assume I'd like to download the best quality version, which YT calls "1080p50 HD". It also lists 720p50, 480, and on down. would I actually be getting 50fps and would I be able to burn that as-is? Or would I have to do some kind of processing on it?

Q2: Assuming I can burn region-free DVDs, would I need to burn different DVDs for different regions anyway (does each region potentially use its own frame rate due to PAL vs NTSC, etc)?

I really don't want to get stuck in some kind of quagmire.

Thanks so much in advance.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-22-2024, 07:05 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOlsen View Post
Some of her friends/family around the world need to see it on DVDs,
Wish granted. PM'd.

Quote:
Q1: on the source side I assume I'd like to download the best quality version,
Maybe, not necessarily.

Quote:
which YT calls "1080p50 HD". It also lists 720p50,
It's not p50, it's p25. (I downloaded it.)

Quote:
would I be able to burn that as-is?
Not if it were 50. But it's not, it's p25.
However, not as-is, it is not ready for DVD yet. (But now it is. )

Quote:
Or would I have to do some kind of processing on it?
Yes. (But no. )

Quote:
Q2: Assuming I can burn region-free DVDs,
would I need to burn different DVDs for different regions
All burned DVDs are region-free. But regions have nothing to do with PAL or NTSC.

Quote:
(does each region potentially use its own frame rate due to PAL vs NTSC, etc)?
Yes and no. Again, do not mix up regions with formats.

- All PAL can play NTSC.
- Most NTSC can play PAL, unless the players in ancient POS DVD player. Or strict Blu-ray player (like my Samsung from 15 years ago).

But the source is PAL, not NTSC. Converting to NTSC is possible, but not easy. (Well, actually, it is easy if you want to screw up quality. But proper conversion is 25>23.97, played back with pulldown, with a 4% audio shrink. More work than I'm able to do right now.)

Quote:
I haven't burned DVDs (with menus, etc) previously, but I get the concepts and I'm willing to give it a shot with the copy of Corel Video Studio I have.
Corel is the wrong tool.

What you wanted was really easy to do, at least for me it is/was.

- yt-dlp
- OPTIONAL: Avisynth convert rec.709 to 601 ... which I didn't do here, not worth it
- VirtualDub2 to resize 720x480
- MainConceto to encode MPEG
- TMPGEnc Authoring Works for menu-less folder author
- Imgburn to create DVD-Video ISO
- and then use VLC to play ISO

No menus, 3-minute interval chapters.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs