08-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Premium Member

I'm having my computer shop add a few things, to the used Gateway 510s Pro I found.(Even though Lordsmurf's suggested HP Compaq D530 is probably a better choice!) Along with some RAM and 2nd Hard Drive, (1)I'm still not sure if an add-on sound card is absolutely needed for the AIW 9600XT to work properly,or a good thing to do for better capture results (I will be monitoring sound with HDTV and out to surround system or headphones) (2) How much RAM should I add to Gateway if any? (currently only 512mb) Thank You.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Premium Member

Post #2..Found my answer just by scrolling down to "Similar Threads" below! Looks best to just get an audio card!!!
08-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Onboard audio has historically been inaccurate. Board from more recent years are much better (from the era of the dual-core and quad-core computer), but the older single-core generation boards varied highly. So while it may work, you'd want to monitor it carefully with AVI capturing, long-term watching the audio meters. The easier solution is, of course, to just buy an audio card that's known to be good. Then you can forget it, and move on with actually doing video work, instead of fiddling with testing procedures. Even I get tired of testing things sometimes, and have to take a break in order to actually get any work/hobby done.

Yeah, you found your answer -- I just wanted to expand on it anyway.

For anybody reading this:

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: rocko (08-22-2011)
08-22-2011, 12:50 AM
Premium Member

Again thanks for Info!!,Found a Diamond Extreme 7.1 PCI on clearance at Staples for $32.00 But the drivers would not install ,keep getting windows XP error:"Plug in Diamond Extreme card",even though it's already plugged in,and shows "<!> multimedia controller" in device manager,PCI slot#2!!,So I took it to my computer guy to try and install,But maybe I should just return it and get one you have suggested!! BTW,My computer guy says that ATI came out with updates that resolved the sound timing issue at one time,But I think is best to leave the currently working ATI set-up as is????
08-25-2011, 12:29 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
drivers would not install ,keep getting windows XP error:"Plug in Diamond Extreme card",even though it's already plugged in,and shows "<!> multimedia controller" in device manager,PCI slot#2!!
Some of those fancy-shmancy cards are more trouble than they're worth. "Extreme" as in "extreme pain in the butt", it would seem. That was actually quite common with Creative's cards (non-SoundBlaster cards) for most of the past decade. It's one reason Turtle Beach cards have always been more highly suggested. But that's not to say Creative are bad, just maybe look for a plain-jane Creative SoundBlaster -- no frills, no features, just audio.

Quote:
maybe I should just return it and get one you have suggested!!
That would be a safe choice.

Quote:
BTW,My computer guy says that ATI came out with updates that resolved the sound timing issue at one time,But I think is best to leave the currently working ATI set-up as is????
I come from the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" school of thought. I'd leave it alone.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: rocko (08-28-2011)
08-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Premium Member

Turns out that my computer guy had a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Value card sitting around, Installed it, and Out with the Diamond Crap card!!!,...Purrfect!!(The ATI test showed good timing too!) He also installed all the extra programs that came with the SB Live card,Like Juke box,Surround mixer,Player,and stuff that is confusing to me,He explained that these are all hard to find and do some great things,But I want to un-install all that, and just keep the card drivers,and use the Windows XP sound control panel,Keeping this machine a "dumb and simple" capture box,also making it easier for me Optimize the system apps and services. Now I can finally move along to your capture guides and settings,and test for reverse interlace,ect...And maybe even start creating some great video captures!!??
08-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
had a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Value card sitting around
...Purrfect!!
Excellent news. That's what I had figured would happen..

Quote:
my computer guy ...... also installed all the extra programs that came with the SB Live card,Like Juke box,Surround mixer,Player,and stuff that is confusing to me,He explained that these are all hard to find and do some great things
My response to him: Whoop-dee-doo. This is why "computer guys" generally aggravate me. They're so sidetracked by the dorkiness of the computer doodads and whizbang softwares that they forget what the computer was made to do. It's a tool with a specific purpose. In my mind, a computer is no more special than a vacuum cleaner or table saw -- a slightly pricey tool to do work. In this instance, it's a tool to convert video from analog (VHS) to digital (DVD).

The mixer is probably useful, having replaced the basic Windows mixer. I'd keep that -- it's really more like a driver extension than anything else.

Quote:
,But I want to un-install all that, and just keep the card drivers,and use the Windows XP sound control panel,Keeping this machine a "dumb and simple" capture box,also making it easier for me Optimize the system apps and services.
Since it's already there, there's probably no harm in leaving it -- unless it tries to "chime in" and make a nuisance of itself. Windows Media Player is guilty of that, as is Quicktime Player. You have to disable all the junk from your startup (msconfig). I need to make a guide on that.

Be sure you have a copy of the installer CD, in case you remove it, but change your mind later (or accidentally remove too much).

Quote:
Now I can finally move along to your capture guides and settings,and test for reverse interlace,ect...And maybe even start creating some great video captures!!??
Reverse interlace is unlikely, but do run a test to be safe. That was mostly confined to specific versions of ATI MMC 7.x, on the oldest of cards. I don't think I've ever seen the issue with 9000 series cards or with ATI MMC 8.7+ or the 9.x series.

Definitely create some good captures.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: rocko (08-30-2011)
08-31-2011, 12:31 AM
Premium Member

Whoop-Tee-Doo!/Whizzbang! is correct!!..(Had to stop laughing first!!)(still don't know how to Quote)...Also "Latest and Greatest" is my computer shop guy's favorite catchword!..Along with adding a Program or two!(All well-meaning of course)..But I depend on him when things get over my head....(Simple to him is complicated to me!)...(He looked shocked when I told him to just install the 9600XT drivers from the 2005 install disc! w/no updates!)....Keep in mind this is the buisiest,yet best organized looking shop In my area of town!!with convieniant hours of operation!!....Anyway kpmedia,you hit the nail on the head!!!...BTW..My 9600 XT came (as advertized).. from an E-bay vendor who pictured the Card,ATI Install disc,and all the neccessary breakout cables, and even the Instruction manual (called a "collateral kit") with CD's,Thus saving a lot of time and hassle!!...Good Luck? In a OEM BOX
08-31-2011, 12:42 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Latest and Greatest
I'm always so amused by computer people who seem to drool themselves silly over what's new. A great many of them are "upgrade junkies", always seeking that insane latest/greatest (according to them) device or software.

The sibling of that line of thought is the idea that "upgrade = security", too. It's not.

Those who think "I've updated/upgraded, I use ____ brand anti-virus, I'm safe" are often the same people who get the most malicious software problems. That wacky logic originated with "computer guys" (people who understand a bit about computers, though nowhere as much as they would like to think), and then it was passed on to the masses.

I had a laugh this week, when a piece of semi-obscure software I use was exploited. The developer sent out these pleas that everybody should disable it, or all hell would break loose, hackers would eat your kids, sell your wife into slavery, etc. As it turns out, the exploit was only affecting the "latest and greatest" version of the software. I'm three subversions back, and entirely unaffected. My biggest worry is "bugs" on a feature I don't even use.

So while a few hundred people are out there biting their nails in worry, I could not care less. I'm unaffected because I'm happily "outdated".

Probably 50-75% of all Windows updates are for non-security. Those who upgrade automatically, letting Microsoft control your computer often find themselves with favorite software "not working" because auto-update did something unwelcomed and undesired, all in the name of "latest and greatest" (or compatibility with it). I pick updates manually, and ignore/dismiss others.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!