Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Free Member

Alright,

In reading through the forum, others have noted that the Viewsonic VP2365 LED is a great and reasonably priced LED IPS display. But why?

Most notably, Lordsmurf has recommend this LED display for others to buy since it's around $300....not too expensive and not too cheap.

In reading reviews, it seems there's not a whole lot of bells and whistles on it. Nothing fancy with the built in control menus....input connectors..and things like that. But, they say it is a performer.

In general, why is this LED displays highly recommended?

I'd like to get another display for the purposes of VHS transfer. Something that more resembles how I may watch VHS in the future (when most displays end up being 4k). If I can get the VHS to look descent on a high resolution display now, I'm sure it'll look OK in the future when I have a 4k plus display. But, one of the things I hesitate about with this display is it maxes out at 1920 x 1080. Aren't there higher resolution displays for around $300?

Although I'd first primarily use it for viewing for VHS transfer, I'm sure to use it for other things in the future. So, is this VP2365 really a good deal? Is it bright enough too?

As of current, does anyone suggestion a better monitor then the Viewsonic VP2365?

I know this is a 8 bit monitor, but how far off would the quality of video really be to something like a HP Dreamcolor which is a 10 bit monitor? I realize most cards are not even 10 bit still.

I guess the better question is...what should I be looking for in a good LED IPS monitor? Dynamic Contrast Ratio? Brightness?

I was hoping for something a bit bigger than 23 inches though.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-12-2013, 10:32 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
maxes out at 1920 x 1080. Aren't there higher resolution displays for around $300?
No.

Quote:
So, is this VP2365 really a good deal? Is it bright enough too?
Yes. It's accurate.

Quote:
As of current, does anyone suggestion a better monitor then the Viewsonic VP2365?
Yes ... if you can budget about $500 on an Eizo monitor.
For example: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3167/KBID/4166

Quote:
I know this is a 8 bit monitor, but how far off would the quality of video really be to something like a HP Dreamcolor which is a 10 bit monitor? I realize most cards are not even 10 bit still.
Your eyes can't really see beyond sRGB.

Quote:
I guess the better question is...what should I be looking for in a good LED IPS monitor? Dynamic Contrast Ratio? Brightness?
Contrast ratio means nothing. It's fudged. Same for brightness. Use your eyes. You don not want a monitor that is too bright.
The bigger issue is true 8-bit vs "dithered 6-bit" -- you don't want 6-bit, which is what LG and HP are using now.

Hope that helps.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-13-2013, 03:44 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
No.
Yes ... if you can budget about $500 on an Eizo monitor.
For example: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3167/KBID/4166
It's great to hear from you Lordsmurf!

And in your professional opinion, share with me why I (or anyone else) should pay roughly $200 more for this Eizo monitor over the Viewsonic VP2365 LED that you've highly recommended? What makes it so much better that I may perhaps take notice of if I had that Eizo monitor? Or why would you perhaps go for the Eizo over the Viewsonic if you had an option?

I don't want someone to think I'm for having spent the extra $200 more for the Eizo over a Viewsonic if the improvement is not all that great? So what do I gain? I noticed the contrast ration (though perhaps irrelevant) is lower on the Eizo too. Still, I'm intrigued by your suggestion
08-30-2014, 03:47 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Older thread, but still relevant.

I'm curios what you ended up getting, if anything. To me, yes, paying more for the Eizo is probably just pissing away money for the "name brand" monitor. I'm sure it has some better features, slightly better technicals, but is it really $200 better? In my opinion, no. I have zero issues color calibrating and color matching with the ViewSonic VP2365-LED.

So, yeah, maybe a little . I'd rather spend that $200 elsewhere.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs