I cannot see the trees for the forest, but let me start with a short introduction.
I am new to this forum. Also newbie to webhosting. I am self-employed and have had several company websites in the past which have always been developed and maintained by professional firms.
Due to some bad experiences with my current hosting company/web developer and due to my changing wants and needs in combination with severe financial pressure I have decided to develop a new website by myself.
The past few days I have spent surfing the net, finding out about which software to use for the writing. In doing so, I decided to go using Wordpress.
I learned from several websites that hosting websites developed with Wordpress is a special thing (or seems to be). I have also learned from the overview of KPmedia at this site that there are many not so good hosts available. And of course I did some reading of some threads about Stablehost a.o.
Today I have had two chats, one with a company called Westhost, another with EuroVPS
. Both chats did not supply understandable answers (for me, as a newbie).
So therefore, I would like to ask if someone could advice me on my choice, if you keep in mind the following requests/facts/requirements:
* I am not a technical expert and I do not have the secret hidden desire to become one, so the hosting must be hassle free, the host must do all the necessary maintenance a.s.o.
* my website and company are based in Europe, The Netherlands. Onto the website I want to show my prospects a movie. The movie has a size of 35MB. It is important that when a customer clicks at an icon to start the movie, the movie actually will start without delay (of course based on the fact that the customer will have an appropriate Internet connection). It is therefore that I believe having a server based in NL or close by would be best. True or nonsense?
* I have no clue if a movie of 35 MB is a lot for quick downloading?
* I do not expect many customers per day on the website, 10s to 100's max.
* Westhost appeared to have no servers outside US. Is this a problem for my wants?
advised me to take the VPS hosting, type VS4 with a RAM >2.5 Gig and a bandwidth of 2TB. This might be a little bit oversized for my need?
* I am happy to pay for hosting as I do not want to see any ads from any company and I do understand that service does cost money. But I like to start small (but sufficient for the need) and see what comes of it.
* In webhosting I like to have all the features available that make developing a website with Wordpress AND writing blogs easy, nice, comfortable, etc.
* I have asked several hosters if I should take some VPS-thing or better shared hosting but no answers yet. Anybody?
Well, quite a long story, I hope that someone could tip me how to get through this forest!