Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Website and Server Troubleshooting

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Free Member

I had someone help me build a website, they were doing a so called "html" site, the person droped the ball and now I am creating a so called "flash" web site, pretty easy even for a newbee...anyway the NS1 and NS2 setting are correct and it seems everyone else goes to my new site, but my computer keeps loading the old site even though I removed all the info, etc. I have un-installed internet exploorer (and the folders) and re-installed it, cleared the cashe, etc., but my computer keeps loading the old site. Does anyone know what I need to do to stop this? The fash site people could not figure it out...and they tried, they even "pinged" my computer off Google and it went to the new site but when they let it re-establish it's own ip address, back to the old site it went.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I've moved your question to the Web Design/Planning forum, because that's what this is -- planning. Or to be even more specific, it's an issue dealing with domain propagation.

Part of this solved by simply understanding how the modern internet works:
  • If you type www.digitalFAQ.com into a browser, your browser asks your computer for the local of the site.
  • If your computer does not know (via the hosts file), it asks the local area network (LAN).
  • If the local network router does not know, it asks the wide area network (WAN), which is your internet service provider (ISP).
  • If the local WAN node does not know, it asks upstream on the WAN until it hits registrars or other authoritative name servers (aka NS or DNS).
  • Eventually, somebody knows, and the IP address (location) of the site is reported back to your browser.
  • The browser then makes contact with the server, and the site loads.
In order to keep internet bandwidth (traffic) down, your WAN (ISP) caches a copy of DNS, so the same requests are not made over and over again. When the cache is older than the changes made to your domain, the site will either fail to load, or continue to show an outdated server.

This becomes important when you're moving sites. You want to lock dynamic content (like forums or anything with user-submitted content), and then leave the static content in place so anybody on an old cache will at least see something. If I were to move this forum, for example, I would close it with a maintenance message noting that a server move is ongoing. The new server would have an opened version of the forum, so anybody properly seeing the new version can continue to post.

Given that this post was made a few days ago, it's likely you're already seeing the new site, assuming you left the server change in place. (Some people get scared, and revert to the previous host, which is acting on the wrong defensive impulse.) Generally speaking, propagation takes anywhere from a few hours to a few days.

If you have any further questions, let me know.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
07-11-2012, 06:56 PM

I also wanted to reply to this specific part of your post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber-junkie View Post
I had someone help me build a website, they were doing a so called "html" site, the person droped the ball and now I am creating a so called "flash" web site, pretty easy even for a newbee...
Though off-topic from the actual question, this is something that would concern me.
- Flash sites will not work on portable devices, like an iPad. So you lose that entire audience.
- Next, you'll lose anybody that is purposely blocking scripts or Flash. So, you lose that audience.
- Finally, you'll lose anybody that hates Flash, which is a majority of online visitors.

Example: Nobody wants to see a photo gallery that has music.

Flash also has significant consequences in terms of SEO, meaning there's a good change the site will not be well-ranked or indexed at all by Google or Bing.

We had a web design customer leave us in 2010 because some local "friend" promised he/she could do "better" than what we had created. The friend created a Flash site that immediately destroyed the client's existing rankings, because the page lacked text. Google doesn't read words inside of Flash, so search engines saw a blank site. Blank sites get deindexed or dropped to page 10 or beyond. I promise you that it was a direct result of using Flash to build a lousy website. The site no longer functioned as the online tool it needed to be.

Furthermore, the friend "upgraded" her to a really cheap hosting plan that made everything slow. Slow sites get dropped in rankings by search engines. A year later, the business folded.

Had she listened to me, there's a good chance that her local business would be doing well right now.

If this is supposed to be a tool for a business (and not just a fun hobby site, or a personal portfolio/blog), then consider hiring somebody that knows how to create the kind of website that serves the needs of a successful business. In addition to video work, we do web development and marketing. Not the silly stuff that passes for "marketing" or "design" at the freelance sites, but legitimate professional quality. And it's not necessarily even that expensive. We work within budgets of all ranges (3 digits to 5 digits). So feel free to PM me about this, if you're interested.

Thanks.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
07-12-2012, 06:26 AM
Free Member

Thanks KP...

It's been several weeks and my computer keeps loading the old site.

I am a newbee at the website tech. stuff....how can you tell a flash from a html site...if these are the correct terms to explaine this?
07-12-2012, 07:14 AM

Well, Flash sites are generally built in Flash tools.
So let's start there -- what software is being used to build this site?

07-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Premium Member

I had this happen with one client in the past. The site was being hosted on their ISP's server, regular domain and everything. I moved it to another hosting provider and while the entire world was getting the new site they were still being directed to the old site which at that point in time was still available since the hosting plan didn't run out yet.

What was happening was the ISP was not updating their DNS entries for sites they were hosting so anyone using that ISP was going to the old site.

My experience has been and changes to the nameservers usually propagates in about an hour but they will tell you it can take a few days.
07-19-2012, 12:57 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
@thecoalman: Are you still using JaguarPC hosting/servers?

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-19-2012, 01:59 AM
Premium Member

Yes but I will no longer recommend them. I got in on the tail end of a good run, a year or two after I started using them they started having a lot of support issues, grew too fast too quickly I guess. I don't know if I was spoiled or what but me and many other long term customers aren't exactly happy.

The hardware is excellent but when something goes fubar......... I can't say I've had a lot of problems with downtime but when there is downtime bring a lunch. LOL