Quantcast Old KVCD Matrix Verses New Notch Matrix - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
  #1  
03-20-2003, 07:51 AM
jamesp jamesp is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Chelmsford, UK
Posts: 130
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kwag,

I don't know if i've made a mistake but i accidentally encode a sample of a TV Capture using the old KVCD matrix for one minutes worth of capture and the resulting filesize came out smaller than the newer KVCD Notch matrix. For 1 minute of capture the old matrix made the file 2 Mb smaller. For a 2 hour film that amounts to 240MB. The details of the encode:

Capture: 720x576 Mjpeg q 19

Script : PixieDust
TemporalCleaner
sampler(60)

Encode: KDVD - 4:3 - CQ 70

My question is - do you think this is specific to my situation or is the old matrix better? Is suppose it could be Pal, or Tv capture related. I will test on a DVD rip later
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Site Staff / Ad Manager
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
03-20-2003, 09:23 AM
kwag kwag is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Puerto Rico, USA
Posts: 13,537
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi jamesp,

It shouldn't. The new "Notch" matrix should produce slightly smaller file size than the older matrix, because of the lower quantization on low frequency areas. That is if you keep the same reference CQ on both templates

-kwag
Reply With Quote
  #3  
03-20-2003, 09:30 AM
jamesp jamesp is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Chelmsford, UK
Posts: 130
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats what i thought. Will do some more tests tonight. The CQ was the same on both encodes (in fact - everything was the same apart form the Q Matrix). I only wonder if the matrix or gop structure isn't set up right on the PAL KDVD template

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwag
Hi jamesp,

It shouldn't. The new "Notch" matrix should produce slightly smaller file size than the older matrix, because of the lower quantization on low frequency areas. That is if you keep the same reference CQ on both templates

-kwag
Reply With Quote
  #4  
03-20-2003, 03:05 PM
jamesp jamesp is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Chelmsford, UK
Posts: 130
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right, its the same for DVD encodes too. My script:

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\MPEG2Dec\MPEG2DEC2.dll")
mpeg2source("C:\Conversions\OrdCrim\test.d2v")
Sampler(60)
Peachsmoother()
LegalClip()

The film - Ordinary Decent Criminal. KDVD encode. The results for 1 minute:

OldMatrix - 16,254,623 bytes
NotchMatrix - 17,031,147 bytes

Almost 1mb difference per minute?
Is this only with PAL? Does anyone else get the same result?

Jim



Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp
Thats what i thought. Will do some more tests tonight. The CQ was the same on both encodes (in fact - everything was the same apart form the Q Matrix). I only wonder if the matrix or gop structure isn't set up right on the PAL KDVD template

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwag
Hi jamesp,

It shouldn't. The new "Notch" matrix should produce slightly smaller file size than the older matrix, because of the lower quantization on low frequency areas. That is if you keep the same reference CQ on both templates

-kwag
Reply With Quote
  #5  
03-20-2003, 03:48 PM
kwag kwag is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Puerto Rico, USA
Posts: 13,537
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesp
Almost 1mb difference per minute?
Is this only with PAL? Does anyone else get the same result?

Jim
Hmm.., I'm not sure about PAL Jim, but it was clearly proved here: http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2073 the quality difference with the new "Notch" matrix. It's really a huge difference on dark and gray scenes. That's why the current matrix superceeded the old one. Do a file prediction comparison ( as on the link above ) and you'll see that targeted at the same file size with both matrixes, the new matrix looks far better

-kwag
Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Notch matrix the default matrix from the KDVD template? jzhao66 Video Encoding and Conversion 2 06-29-2005 03:25 AM
KVCD: NOTCH Interlaced Matrix? incredible Video Encoding and Conversion 7 12-13-2003 11:23 AM
KVCD: Notch matrix, how to use/install? shibumi Video Encoding and Conversion 1 10-27-2003 04:50 PM
KVCD: Cartoons and Notch Matrix? Razorblade2000 Video Encoding and Conversion 11 10-18-2003 11:12 AM
KVCD notch matrix! jorel Video Encoding and Conversion 1 08-28-2003 11:25 AM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 PM  —  vBulletin Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd