Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Free Member

Send a message via AIM to ECruzDigital Send a message via Yahoo to ECruzDigital
Hi Folks,

I hope if you can help with answers.

My friend gave me his DELL Inspiron 1501 laptop. He said he bought a new hard drive that matches as his old one that's worn out. But he bought one with bigger spaces, 500 GB hard drive for the DELL Insprion 1501.

When he installed the new hard drive, and was ready to install Windows XP Home Edition, an error message first comes up before you do anything else.

The error message says. "Error Operating System"

I tried to installed Windows XP Home Edition for my friend, I got the CD ROM going, it says "Press any keys to boot CD".
Then all the sudden, that same error message "Error operationing system" showed up again, before ready to install XP.

So, can you tell me what's this error message mean for this DELL Inspiron 1501 laptop for my friend who bought a 500 GB
hard drive??? He purchased it from "Amazon" and he found the exact same hard drive, accept it has bigger spaces. The one that he had and worn out was a 50 GB hard drive.

Any boddy knows what's wrong here??

Thank you,
Eugene

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

That sounds like a typical bad hard drive. I recently tried to install Windows XP on an old laptop, and it refused to cooperate. Yes, this means the "new" hard drive may also be bad. You'd be wise to plug it into an external enclosure ($10 is all it costs for a 2.5" enclosure) and then let a known-good computer run tests on it via USB.

Just for grins, try to install Xubuntu on the laptop. It tends to give far better error messages on failed installs.

Official site: http://xubuntu.org
Download hint: Use torrents to download in about 15 minutes. The FTP mirrors are slows -- hours and hours slow.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
09-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Free Member

Send a message via AIM to ECruzDigital Send a message via Yahoo to ECruzDigital
Thank you for your FAST response, KPMedia.

I jsut talied to my friend, and he was able to view your message on my posting, also.
He decided to send that hard drive back to Amazon.com and get another one.

Uh, when people get new hard drive, what is it suppose to say on the computer screen??
I forgot what usually says before you install Windows.

Thanks,
Eugene
01-31-2013, 11:27 PM
Former Site Staff | Computers

Usually its something along the lines of "Operating System Not Found" or a similar message.

One thing that can also cause a slight bit of a pain is to have the bios ONLY boot from the CD, so it has no choice but to boot off it. It could be that even though it says press any key, it still bypassing it and booting from the hard drive (I have had this happen to me in the past).

If you can get it to install that way, after installation you can switch the boot order back to normal in the bios.

It has been awhile and you may have already remedied the situation but thought I would add my in.

-JMP

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Check out my latest Editorial.